whale watch in Portland, Maine

Has anyone gone whale watching from Portland, Maine? I've read that the water is rough and that many participants end up sea-sick. I'm also concerned about not seeing any whales in the 1st week of July.

If not whale watching in Portland....then what should we do? We've got a group ranging in age from 83 to 9 years old. Of course, we could split the group according to physical demands of the activity.

thanks much!!!

We opted not to go whale watching in portland...although we did see a few fin whales from our ship on the way in to port early in the morning.

We spend our morning in Portland going sailing on a classic old schooner (the Bagheera... http://www.portlandschooner.com/ ). We boarded the sailboat right at the dock, so it was very convenient. We then had a great seafood lunch at Gilberts, just a few blocks away from the dock, and then rented a car from Enterprise for the afternoon...they picked us up right from the restaurant, and we drove up to LLBean in Freeport, took a hike along Casco Cove at a small park there (Wolf Neck, I think it was called), and then drove back to Portland and visited the lighthouse before turning in the car again.

We did see the whale watch boat heading out the same time we were leaving on the sailing excursion, and it was small, noisy, and bouncy but I'm sure you would have an excellent chance of seeing some whales.

Its neat that even some Americans think Maine belongs to Canada. I always thought it peculiar, looking at the map, how Maine just juts right up there, that it belonged to the USA in the first place.

Sure is a nice state, I'd be proud to have it belong to Canada. icon12.gif

• 4 months later...

Where did you rent the car in Portland please? Thanks :)

We opted not to go whale watching in portland...although we did see a few fin whales from our ship on the way in to port early in the morning.

We spend our morning in Portland going sailing on a classic old schooner (the Bagheera... http://www.portlandschooner.com/ ). We boarded the sailboat right at the dock, so it was very convenient. We then had a great seafood lunch at Gilberts, just a few blocks away from the dock, and then rented a car from Enterprise for the afternoon...they picked us up right from the restaurant, and we drove up to LLBean in Freeport, took a hike along Casco Cove at a small park there (Wolf Neck, I think it was called), and then drove back to Portland and visited the lighthouse before turning in the car again.

We did see the whale watch boat heading out the same time we were leaving on the sailing excursion, and it was small, noisy, and bouncy but I'm sure you would have an excellent chance of seeing some whales.

Archived