using snorkel equip

Garv816

I'm a little freaked out about using a snorkel from tour operator (germs:eek: ). I'm sure they clean them. Anybody else have/had this concern??

Strange, I know. I did buy some but this will most likely be the only time we will use them, honestly.

Two points....

One, operators use a chemical sanitizer on the snorkel gear. The chemical is similar to a commercial dishwashing sanitizer - just a little bit mixed into the rinse water does the trick.

Two, the sanitizing is completely pointless! You are using the snorkel gear in the sea, and seawater is a veritable soup of bacteria and viruses. As soon as the mouthpiece hits the water - so much for the sanitizing! :rolleyes:

Two points....

One, operators use a chemical sanitizer on the snorkel gear. The chemical is similar to a commercial dishwashing sanitizer - just a little bit mixed into the rinse water does the trick.

Two, the sanitizing is completely pointless! You are using the snorkel gear in the sea, and seawater is a veritable soup of bacteria and viruses. As soon as the mouthpiece hits the water - so much for the sanitizing! :rolleyes:

That is true, I never thought about that;) Thanks for the replies!

I always bring my own mask/snorkel with me. Mostly because it can be hard to find a good mask that doesn't leak...and it takes up little packing space...and I do like the idea of having only had my lips on my snorkel. So, you aren't the only one out there who has thought about the "sanitary" side of excursions!

I purchased snorkel equipment for both DH and myself for our upcoming cruise for this very reason alone! Totally grosses me out when I think about it. People are soooo concerned about contracting Norovirus on the ship, :rolleyes: but don't think twice about putting something in their mouth that's been in a stranger's mouth. Apparently, they're just not thinking it through! :eek:

The snorkels are usually thrown in a rinse bucket of salt water. So you've got dirty saltwater with a soup of germs and bacteria from everyone who has bitten one of those snorkels that day. Yuch

I've seen snorkels from 5 bucks at cruise stops. I bought all my own gear for about 110$ including prescription mask.

There are MANY MANY reason to use your own gear...

1. sanitization.. the old YUK factor of putting your mouth on where someone else was 10 minutes ago.

2. Better equipment... The rentals are usually the mass produced and cheapest ones they can get a hold of. Normally, they dont use dry air snorkels.

3. Better fit.... having your own mask that fits is worth the money!!!

4. Price to pay... one of the biggest factors that many people forget is that, if you loose the rental item, they are going to charge you a premium price to replace it. And if you have no money, then a big argument will in sue and it may ruin your fun time. If you loose your own equipment, then its your fault, end of story.

Okay, here's my 2 pennies worth. For years I used to rent my equipment and never, ever had a problem. However, I finally decided to buy my own equipment because of Jimmy's #2 - I like better equipment that fits properly. You can get a great deal on snorkel packages at Wal-Mart and at Costcos and Sam's Club. If for some reason, say I was on vacation somewhere and I hadn't taken my own equipment and decided at the last minute to snorkel, I would not hesitate to use rental equipment. Has anyone even heard of anyone getting sick from rental stuff. I never have!:D

Archived