Half Moon Cay Questions....

bjbailey

I am leaving April 14 thru 22 on my first cruise! I am getting so excited, I can't hardly wait!!! I was told about this site and I'm totally addicted! Oh, I'm cruising with HAL...Zuiderdam.

My questions are:

1) What will the temperatures be in HMC in April on land and water?

2) I signed up for a kayaking excursion in HMC...."Eco Lagoon Kayak Adventure"...has anyone experienced this?

3) Is there any shopping at HMC? Souvenirs, etc.?

4) This is a dumb question, but what kind of sunscreen should I use @ HMC? I am going to my local tanning salon and getting pretty crisp before I leave, so I hopefully don't burn too bad.:)

Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much! Again, this site is awesome and addictive!

Brandy

You will love Half Moon Cay...if you're a beach lover, it's the closest thing to heaven on earth. It's Holland America's (& now Carnival's) private island. No one lives there. We were there mid May and the temp. & water were warm. You will get a barbeque for lunch. There is a tiny shopping area, but it is cruise-line merchandise. If you need any shade at all, I'd reserve a "clam shell". They're canvas and cover 2 lounge chairs. Use whatever sun protection you're planning to use while on the ship (#15 at least). HMC holds one of my best cruise memories, as DH surprised me with a wedding vow renewal ceremony on our 25th anniversary at the little chapel there. We were there right before they added the excursions, so I can't tell you anything about them. Go on the HAL thread, and you will get lots of info on HMC.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congrats on your first cruise! I'm on the same ship as you, and am probably most excited about HMC! :) We've booked a cabana for the day since we're bringing our kids, so you'll have to stop by and say hi (we're at Taupe).

Happy sailing and see you onboard!

Caroline in Toronto

You can book the cabanas ahead of time but they are a limited number and I'm guessing they are all booked by the time you board. They were pricey even 3 yrs ago. The clamshells you can also book ahead of time through Excursions, or go to the Excursion desk once on the ship and reserve one.

As far as the vow renewal, we met 2 other couples (through CC), who were all celebrating anniversaries. My DH and the other 2 DH's arranged it either through the purser or the Excursion staff (he can't remember which). They completely surprised us and there was champagne waiting there for us at the little Bahamian chapel and the chaplain from the ship was there. We then went over to the barbeque and were joking that it was our wedding reception (I'm afraid we were kind of loud by then; watch out for those HMC rum drinks). It was one of the best days I've ever had. It was our 25th anniversary also.

I thought you could only book the cabanas with the shore excursion desk when you boarded? It is also our 25th and I was wondering how you booked a wedding vow renewal? thanks

That is for Carnival cruises. You can and should book ahead online if you are cruising HAL.

Curious if anyone can tell me about drink service on HMC? both with renting a cabana or just renting a clamshell on the beach?

Sis is concerned with getting served and not leaving her chair..lol This is relax mode after all :p

Thank you!!!

Denyce

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congrats on your first cruise! I'm on the same ship as you, and am probably most excited about HMC! :) We've booked a cabana for the day since we're bringing our kids, so you'll have to stop by and say hi (we're at Taupe).

Happy sailing and see you onboard!

Caroline in Toronto

I'll be in the Sky Blue cabana on HMC - same cruise as you guys. Stop by and say hi and have a pina colada with us. :)

- Jennifer

Again, I was there 3 yrs ago and was on a HAL cruise, but there were waiters taking drink orders on the beach.,but the bar was right on the beach...the "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" bar. We had our clamshells set up practically in front of it (convenient ;)). If you reserved a cabana, it came with a "cabana boy".

Again, I was there 3 yrs ago and was on a HAL cruise, but there were waiters taking drink orders on the beach.,but the bar was right on the beach...the "I Wish I Could Stay Here Forever" bar. We had our clamshells set up practically in front of it (convenient ;)). If you reserved a cabana, it came with a "cabana boy".

No "cabana boy" ever came to check on us in December in our Yellow Cabana. If getting drink service is essential to your enjoyment of HMC, then I suggest you spring for the butler package for your cabana. You get unlimited drinks and a butler to bring them to you.

l15.jpg

There's no choice for reserving a clamshell on my excursions list on Carnival for the Elation on 4/28. Does that mean they're all reserved?

No, I think it means that you will have to wait until you are on ship before you can reserve a clamshell, the same for a Cabana.

Just got back from HMC on Carnival. You have to rent the clamshells from the water sports building on the island. You can't book them online or at the excursions desk onboard the ship. The waiters are all over the beach. No problem with getting drinks.

I will be stopping on Half Moon Cay in May 07 on a Carnival Cruise. I was wondering if anyone knows if the prices that Carnival gives for all excursions is the same as on the island. since Carnival ownes the island I was thinking they might be priced the same. I was hoping to book the aqua trax adventure and its 69 from Carnival, should I wait to get on shore and book directly from the merchans or does it not make a difference in price?

Thanks!

IRene

Just got back from HMC on Carnival. You have to rent the clamshells from the water sports building on the island. You can't book them online or at the excursions desk onboard the ship. The waiters are all over the beach. No problem with getting drinks.

Can you let us know the price for renting the clamshells?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived