? for Caviargal

Sandi149

Hi Caviargal,

I have been reading though lots of these threads and I see that you say you prefer "matte jersey" clothing and that it packs well. I believe I have many of these, but never knew what type of material it is exactly? Is it rayon or nylon?

Also, this will be my first "real" cruise that I am taking in June to the Caribbean. The other two were only 2 night cruises to nowhere. I am bringing a lot of outfits for eveningwear. I probably have a bit more things than I need. How do you pack so the clothing doesn't get wrinkled. Alot of the fabrics that I have are silk, nylon, rayon, cotton and linen. Cotton and linen I know wrinkle terribly so how can I pack them so they look decent once we unpack our stuff in the cabin? My two formal outfits I will be putting in a garment bag not a suitcase. Should I put most of my stuff in the garment bags on hangers? I don't have to worry about taking a plane because my cruise leaves out of my homeport of NYC so we will just be taking a cab to the terminal. So I don't have to worry about our stuff being thrown around on a plane.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks. :)

I'm not cavialgal, but I'll tell you how I pack my linen things and they come out of the suitcase (or garment bag) with no wrinkles at all :)

Dry cleaner bags, lots of them. I usually hang most of my clothes, so I'll put a bag over the hanger, then the garment, then another bag. I've even had comments from other women onboard a ship before that I must have brought an iron or steamer because my linen stuff is still crisp.

I'll add that I don't mind the way linen wrinkles while you're wearing it, it's part of the look of linen. It's so much more comfortable to wear than synthetic fabrics in the heat/humidity a few wrinkles won't stop me from packing it for vacation.

I'm not cavialgal, but I'll tell you how I pack my linen things and they come out of the suitcase (or garment bag) with no wrinkles at all :)

Dry cleaner bags, lots of them. I usually hang most of my clothes, so I'll put a bag over the hanger, then the garment, then another bag. I've even had comments from other women onboard a ship before that I must have brought an iron or steamer because my linen stuff is still crisp.

I'll add that I don't mind the way linen wrinkles while you're wearing it, it's part of the look of linen. It's so much more comfortable to wear than synthetic fabrics in the heat/humidity a few wrinkles won't stop me from packing it for vacation.[/quote

Thanks for replying. :) So your're saying I should pack my stuff in those plastic dry cleaner bags? Does it fit in the suitcase with the hanger? My husband and I are only bringing 2 suitcases (large) and a garment bag, plus several carry ons but those are for toiletries and those type of things.

Ohhh I absolutely love the way linen feels. I think it's the most comfortable fabric out there.

What about the "matte Jersey"? Can you answer that question on what type of material it actual is?

Thank you. :)

Jersey can be made of different fabrics, including silk, rayon, polyester. Here is a dress I bought on ebay a few months ago by David Meister. I have several of his dresses in both full and cocktail length:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2872096?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+Meister+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

The red one I am on the hunt for:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2901054?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+Meister+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

I also have several dresses by Tommy Bahama in silk jersey. I love the feel of the fabric and the drape. They pack well and I do not do anything special.

I pack cotton knits for day as opposed to regular cotton and linen I always feel I have to iron before I wear it. I carry a steamer but might try Kathy's suggestion next time out.

Jersey can be made of different fabrics, including silk, rayon, polyester. Here is a dress I bought on ebay a few months ago by David Meister. I have several of his dresses in both full and cocktail length:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2872096?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+Meister+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

The red one I am on the hunt for:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2901054?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=david+Meister+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

I also have several dresses by Tommy Bahama in silk jersey. I love the feel of the fabric and the drape. They pack well and I do not do anything special.

I pack cotton knits for day as opposed to regular cotton and linen I always feel I have to iron before I wear it. I carry a steamer but might try Kathy's suggestion next time out.

Thanks for your reply. I love both of those dresses....very elegant and classic.

So should I roll the silks, rayons and nylon things that I have? I just don't want anything to really wrinkle too badly. I might have to get one of those steamers.

I have been reading though lots of these threads and I see that you say you prefer "matte jersey" clothing and that it packs well. I believe I have many of these, but never knew what type of material it is exactly? Is it rayon or nylon?

Sandi,

Jersey is to knit the same way that gabardine is to woven. IOW, it's a particular way it's constructed. You can have silk, cotton, wool or rayon gabardine and you know it's always that woven fabric with the diagonal stitch.

Jersey is a knit and it refers to the particular stitch. It's not an indication of fabric content. There is cotton jersey, silk jersey, wool jersey, rayon jersey, etc. Matte jersey means it has no sheen. Usually, if it just says jersey in the description, it's usually the dressy rayon jersey that a lot of evening wear is made from. If it's silk jersey, they'll always mention it.

I also hang my wrinkle prone items on hangers and put a plastic bag over each hanger. I do put more than one item on a hanger. I might put two pairs of pants and two tops on one hanger. If there's extra plastic bag hanging, I knot it creating a little puff of air around the garment.

Caviargal, LOVE those dresses. Both are SOOOOO you!

Archived