CROUTON - Your Fantasy has Come True!!!

Jeanne S

Crouton:

In the Sunday New York Times Travel Section, Cunard took out an 8 page advertisement entitled: New York Welcomes Queen Mary 2.” It is chock full of Cunard history, has the usual cut out deck plan, marketing hoopla, letter from Pamela Conover and best of all, the Fireworks schedule – just as you fantasized!!

April 25

QM2 departs 7:15pm
QM2 departs 7:30pm

8:30 pm – QM2 and QE2 meet at the Statue of Liberty for a farewell fireworks display by Grucci (a Long Island, NY company that always does the fireworks for the various events – for example, in 198_+the hundred year anniversary of the Brooklyn Bridge.

The ad goes on the explain how both Queens will set off at dusk together for a “symbolic passing of the scepter to the new queen.”

I read this on the way to work this morning and am so happy for you Crouton. (Our plans have changed in light of this new development in that we will meet at a friend’s home that has roof top view of Upper New York Bay with the Statue of Liberty – not the friend (Emily who has the Verrazano Bridge view, but not where the fireworks would be displayed).

The ad went on the detail the reception the first QM received in NYC - a flotilla of ships were on hand to greet it (“every roof top and fire escape with a sight line was perilously covered in flag waving cheering crowds.” “Trumpeters played God Save the King.”

So it looks as if QM2 will arrive at the Statue of Liberty (SOL) approximately 8:15pm and wait for QE2. Sunset yesterday was around 7:45 pm, so you should have –weather permitting – a glorious sun set Starboard as you glide down the Hudson River.

Am so happy for you Crouton and hope this help to make up for the disappointment of Circle Line being cancelled.

Jeanne

Dear Jeanne,

I wish I had time to reply at length, but I am rushing a bit to get myself out of California and to New York.

I am very touched by your thoughtfulness. Your kindness means a lot. I was somewhat taken aback by the events of the past week.

You will be in my thoughts during the fireworks.

Crouton

Archived