~The Ultimate Carnival Beverage Thread~

KBD627

How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?  

454 members have voted

1. 1. How will Carnival's beverage policy affect you?

• No effect I never bring beverages on board.
    • I will strictly follow it. I follow all of carnival's rules.
    • I'm a past smuggler will now smuggle non-alcohol too.
    • I will now join the smugglers.

To ask that the beverages be in unopened containers? Or cans only? If the true concern is alcohol smuggling, that would solve that, wouldn't it?

Exactly... if that were the real reason, they could overcome that. I really don't think there are that many people that are doing this... I've heard more people talk about dumping listerine (gross, gross, gross) and filling those bottles than filling coke bottles :rolleyes: Yet they still allow listerine, shampoo, etc.

No, I did not read the entire thread but I will tell you that we have two 6 cases of Diet Coke, 1 six pack of Sprite and a case of water all packed ready to go in a large plastic garbage bag tied in a knot in our suitcase for the Liberty sailing tomorrow....

We don't fly so please don't tell me about the weight problem. We leave any extra to the Cabin Steward, thus giving us the extra bag for gifts etc to carry off. We have been doing this for years and I will let you know next week if "we got away with it" or not.

If it works, fine. It we "get caught" fine too, next cruise I won't bring it with me....

NOW FLAME AWAY..... I'll be gone and won't be able to read the negative responses anyway..... :)

I just went and read the Carnival Website and what really gets me is that they won't hold it until departure but rather will discard it ..... We have just come off the Conquest and having been in the US for a couple of days before we had already done some shopping including a bottle of Dr. Pepper Cherry that we took home since we don't get Dr Pepper here at all so for us it is a treat we take home to prolong our "vacation"

Since we almost always fly home directly (except for out of Galveston) after the cruise we can't do that anymore ....

P.S. we took home even more this time since we unsusually had another 1 1/2 days before our flight home.

You might want to avoid RCL as well...

Carnival's not even the first line to implement such a restriction. In a little noticed policy shift, Royal Caribbean already prohibits bringing nonalcoholic beverages onboard.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1985

Sailed on the Rhapsody Of the Seas last month and brought on board a six pack of diet pepsi without any problem. Also brought on a couple of 12 oz bottles at Cozumel without incident.

I have never tried to smuggle anything. I think the smugglers will still smuggle and the people who didn't wont and will have to be inconvenienced by the new policies.

I agree. But to be honest it would be sort of fun to "smuggle" water out of the country :D

Sailed on the Rhapsody Of the Seas last month and brought on board a six pack of diet pepsi without any problem. Also brought on a couple of 12 oz bottles at Cozumel without incident.

What you can get through at ports is someties funny. We bought 2 bottles of cashew wine and a bottle of rum in Belize. When we got on board the ship I had to FIND the guy to give him my alcohol. He was down the walk and around the corner from where they scan bags. We were the 3rd from last tender and there were maybe 30-40 names on the list, I imagine most people just walked right by him and took their alcohol to their rooms.

To ask that the beverages be in unopened containers? Or cans only? If the true concern is alcohol smuggling, that would solve that, wouldn't it?

Good lord, do you now long it would take for security to check every seal on every bottle and can being brought aboard? Embarkation time for everyone would be nutz.

Better just to ban the whole thing.

I spoke with some of the Security folks at the Port of New Orleans yesterday. They told me that the reason Carnival changed the NON-Alcoholic beverage policy was due to the fact that in many ports, not just New Orleans, they have found that passengers have empted water bottles and filled them with vodka. In New Orleans, an underage passenger was found to have done this with an entire case of water. :eek:

I'm leaving out of New Orleans next week. Thanks for letting us know that they are enforcing the rule there. I can save myself the trouble of bringing my 24 case of water.

So how are they checking the baggage the porters take? Are they calling people down to open their suitcases or what? Or is this just for carry ons?

From what i have heard, all baggage is scanned, if someting looks odd, it will be opened and searched, you will not receive your luggage, but a note to go get it and the item in question will be removed.

I picture a sixty five plus man with a 32' cooler filled with Geritol bottles. They are usually looking for 32 twenty year olds with only a back pack.

I am prepared to test the system next week, bringing along a small cooler filled with a medicinal amount:p

UC700L.jpg.0e00f0db2ae13bca15c2dbff5e73a7f0.jpg

Okay - first of all, I don't drink soda, but I am a water snob with my own personal issues about tap water. Secondly, I admit I have not read the entire thread, but why would anyone schlep several pounds of water in their suitcases, when they can buy a water bottle with a built in filter that weighs only a few ounces? Fill it from the tap, throw in a few ice cubes and it filters the water as you drink.

Let me know if you find a cruise line that lets me bring my Shiner! Or better yet, just sells it to me!

Was on Grand princess out of galveston in February. Had PLENTY of shiner on board!!! Drank it all week and loved it!!! BillfromPa.

From what i have heard, all baggage is scanned, if someting looks odd, it will be opened and searched, you will not receive your luggage, but a note to go get it and the item in question will be removed.

All baggage is scanned, poorly, but it is scanned. And not just so they can look for smuggled drinks. They also look for weapons and other items that tey do not permit on board.

As of this evenings news cast Carnival has decided to now no longer allow ANY carry on beverages not even wine or champane as well as non acholic beverages, the reason given on the news was due to the fact that they were't selling as many drinks and the carry on was cutting into their

sales.

As of this evenings news cast Carnival has decided to now no longer allow ANY carry on beverages not even wine or champane as well as non acholic beverages, the reason given on the news was due to the fact that they were not selling as many drinks and the carry on was cutting into their

sales.

Anyone actually have this happen to them? "From what I have heard" is not very scary. Would like to see a post from someone who has had something taken from their checked baggage by security.

As of this evenings news cast Carnival has decided to now no longer allow ANY carry on beverages not even wine or champane as well as non acholic beverages, the reason given on the news was due to the fact that they were not selling as many drinks and the carry on was cutting into their

sales.

What station? Do they have a website with online stories? post a link.

sales.

I half expect for that to be a miscommunication on the News' part, sense the memo that was just sent to all the TA's stated 1 bottle per person.

Hdawson from page one has one heck of a point, a bit off topic, but great none the less!!! to each thier own with the alcohol policy, but come on with the dress code enforcement. I spend a large amount of time and money prior to each cruise selecting my cocktail dresses and evening gowns so I may look great during dinner. However within the last cruise or two it appeared that jeans and button downs were the hot outfit. If I wanted to sit with people who were wearing jeans and tees, not always a bad choice just not right for formal nights, I would sit down for a meal at McDonalds. Sorry if I stepped on any toes with this one.

Archived