Recommendations On Which Area Of San Juan Is Best/safest

Lovinlife45

We just booked the Crown Princess for 2/2/08. We are flying in on the 31st and plan to spend two days precruise.

I need to book a hotel but I am concerned about which area of San Juan to look in. Can anyone give me an idea of which area would be safest? I realize hotels are very expensive in San Juan and I want to find the best for the least.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Charlene

Well we stayed in old San Juan at the El Convento....San Juans only 5 star. It is the best but also the most :( so I will make a suggestion that you check this out....

www.numero1guesthouse.com It was a very large private beach home that has been turned into a B&B type hotel in the Ocean Park area. It is right on the beach and about halfway between the airport and the harbor/port area. It is in a residential area that is gated.... about as safe as you can get. That said - we never felt unsafe in Old San Juan... and we walked all over ~ day AND NIGHT.

Depending on when you are going....the rates for this hotel can be very reasonable. And the restaurant Pamela's was the best meal we ate the whole trip.

Sometimes if you think outside the box you can find really great things

I spend a couple of winter months in Condado area and feel safe there. If you

like small hotels or B&B, check out El Canario hotels and Coral Princess Inn.

They have websites. There are lots of restaurants in the area, bus service #21

to OSJ and back. http://www.gotopuertorico.com has listings for all areas. Isla

Verde is near the airport and is a very nice area. In OSJ, Hotel Milano is a

less expensive option and gets good reviews. Good luck in finding the right place for your stay,:)

There are just a few areas that you need to avoid in San Juan. Other than that, you'll have no problem. Puerto Rico is not a scary 3rd world country. Depending on what you want to do, there are a couple of hotel options. You won't have any problems in the hotel areas.

Old San Juan - your best bet is Hotel Milano. It is probably the cheapest bet for a standard room.

If you want to be on the beach, Ramada or Marriot have ok rooms on the Isla Verde strip. Any hotel in that area is fine, just pick your price range.

My best comparison for the feel of San Juan is Rome. San Juan is pretty safe. Just don't be a dumb tourist. Don't leave your bags laying around, don't leave your wallet sitting on the front seat of your car, etc. That is an invitation for theft anywhere you go...

There are just a few areas that you need to avoid in San Juan. Other than that, you'll have no problem. Puerto Rico is not a scary 3rd world country. Depending on what you want to do, there are a couple of hotel options. You won't have any problems in the hotel areas.

Old San Juan - your best bet is Hotel Milano. It is probably the cheapest bet for a standard room.

If you want to be on the beach, Ramada or Marriot have ok rooms on the Isla Verde strip. Any hotel in that area is fine, just pick your price range.

My best comparison for the feel of San Juan is Rome. San Juan is pretty safe. Just don't be a dumb tourist. Don't leave your bags laying around, don't leave your wallet sitting on the front seat of your car, etc. That is an invitation for theft anywhere you go...

I recently choose a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to say like $20 bucks that made my husband and I flinch. We travel extensively so it isn't like I'm new at this but after the Fort Lauderdale experience, I guess I am doubting my own judgment. I did great with our hotels in Europe but I just so totally blew it with the Fort Lauderdale one!!! Thanks for the help.

charlene

We spent a week in Condado (Holiday Inn Express) and never had a concern about safety, we were out late at night, walking the beach, etc. There's enough police there to last a while. Appeared pretty safe, assuming one follows the usual precautions.

How was your stay at the HIExpress? We are booked pre and post cruise for in two weeks. Can you tell me a few good restaurants in the area for dinner? What else is within walking distance? Also, how was your room? Really only concerned with clean and little noise. We also held the OSJ Sheraton, but like each place for different reasons. We'll probably stay one night at each place, but would really like your thoughts since they are so recent on the HIExpress.

Thanks in advance.

Archived