Ship's tours or DIY

Ajjaccio, La Goulette, Palma and Cartegena. I have not seen much on the boards about these ports and wonder if anyone can give me any advice. We prefer to do our own thing if possible but we are only a half day in La Goulette and Ajjaccio. We are on the Maiden Voage of Ocean Village 2 in April.:)

Ajjaccio is easy, you dock right in town, wander the streets, very good shops. Go see Napoleons birthplace.

Palma, take a cab from the rank ouside the port to the Cathedral. look around town, great shopping area. Make sure you visit the market.

As you mentioned, I haven't noticed much about either of these ports on this board recently - perhaps people going to the Med this summer are short-range planners. However, there was quite a bit about both ports on this board last summer -> suggest you use the 'Search this forum' tool and I'm sure you'll find most of what you want to know -> then ask specific questions if there's something you can't find in the previous posts.

Both Ajaccio and Palma are very easy to do on your own.

Ships usually dock in Ajaccio within easy walking distance of the city centre. You might want to consider a shorex or local tour of some kind here as well - just to see a bit of Corsica if you haven't been there before - it's a beautiful island.

Palma is also a beautiful port - if you like walking (as we do), the walk into the old town where the Cathedral is located from where the ships usually dock is about 40min along an seafront promenade. There's also a Hop On/Off bus. Wandering around the old town on your own is fun and interesting. If you want to go out of the city, I'd highly recommend a trip to Valldemossa and down the West Coast - very beautiful and reminiscent of Cinque Terre.

We are arranging our own tour in Tunis. The Operator is the most organized of all and is niot asking for a credit card to reserve. They are just US cash.

One way to decide is whether the ship offers what you want. We are both saving money by doing it on our own plus visiting sites not offered by the ship ie in Tunis we are scheduled to go to the Jewish Synagogue and Great Mosque. The ship doesn't got to either (tHey go to a smaller mosque).

With shorter stops we usually do the ship (or on our own walking), We are taking a ship tour in Malorca since we are only docked from 10-6 and wanted to go to the Caves. Since its Sunday we know it will run smoothly with the ship since all the shps all closed as is apparently the Castle.

We decided to book the ship's tour in La Goulette as we are only there half a day. We are doing Sidi Bou Said and Carthage. The only other we have booked is amalfi Coast and Sorrento. All the others we are doing ourselves, apart from the cost the advantage is we can go where we want to go not where the bus stops.:)

Linedancer 73,

I think you made the right choice going with the ship tour for only a 1/2 day schedule. The harbor is in an industrial area in the middle of nowhere, and PAX experience hiring taxis can range from great or horrific.

Enjoy and safe travels.

Archived