Passports - who know when I will see it now!

clm101798

i sent mine and my bf's renewal thru priority mail on 2/12. the passport agency received it on 2/14. they did not cash the check until 3/8 and it did not show up on the internet database until 3/15. up until two days ago it said that i should receive my passport around 4/17, but that date is GONE. POOF! NO more date!

I called the passport agency yesterday (only waited 35 minutes! but i've called 2x before and waited almost an hour) and the lady was very helpful. she said that i should still recieve it around 4/17.

i'm worried because i asked them to correct my birthplace (old passport said china, it should be taiwan). i sent in a copy of my naturalization paper, as the website had instructed. however, my bf acquired two misdemeanors last year, so i don't know how that will affect his renewal. the attorney and passport people say that it shouldn't be a problem because he is not on probation, but still....

i'll stress until i'm holding both passports in my hand!

Wow. Could you be any ruder?

Yippie for you that you were able to apply for one last fall. Last fall I had no vacation plans. Most people do not go and apply for a passport just for the fun of it. Gee, I'm not doing anything today, let me go and spend money on a passport I don't need.

Excellent post and i agree with everything you said!

Sheri

Do you think, or was it your impression, that you can only call to expedite if it is 10 days until your trip?

Sheri

Her exact comforting words were. There's nothing we can do, we're extremely overloaded. The only thing that they are telling people that prior to 10 days of departure of the Country, to call and check status. If it's not completed then to request for it to be expedited. She said she wasn't sure if they would do it for free for the inconvenience, but they would take a CC just in case. BUT yet there's more comforting news!!...THERES NO GUARANTEE"S

Her words to me was SORRY..change your plans for when you will have your Passport. I couldn't believe the *itch. I said absolutely not I'm not loosing 2000.00 for there negligence of not having the ample amount of staff. We have all known about the new Passport Laws they should of been prepared for this....{do you think the trip insurance would like that excuse for a refund..LMAO} She said ok then cancel your Passport application. I said OK how? she told me to write it in and heres the best part....NO REFUND!!

I am astonished that so many people waiting until January or February to obtain their passports. Clearly the passport offices are very busy as all the spring and summer cruisers decided that, "Gee, I guess I really do need a passport. I was hoping that they would change the law and the passport requirement would go away!"

The wait for passports last Fall was very minimal.

Thanks...Do you work for the Passport agency?? Because you sound as cold as they did on the phone to me. Actually the problem is that the TRAVEL Laws were changed in Jan 2007 No travel by Car or plane out or in the USA with out a Passport. By SEA/CRUISE is in 2008. IF we were told in 6 weeks we WILL have the passport then why should we think different? I went 2/2 with ample time for my April 28th Cruise. They had no knowledge of the overload?? :confused:. She stated they weren't aware of the problem until late February. Didn't they have knowledge of the New Laws? WE ALL DID, they should of been better prepared in my opinion.

As for your smart azz comment

Clearly the passport offices are very busy as all the spring and summer cruisers decided that, "Gee, I guess I really do need a passport. I was hoping that they would change the law and the passport requirement would go away!"

Passports are not required to travel by CRUISE until 2008. The problem is the AIRLINES. If we need to get home via air for what ever reason thats why we need a Passport. I have heard people complain about not getting it back in a timely manner, or being given the run around. They are now addressing people that it would take 10-12 weeks, but not until 2/25/07 was that stated. We were all applied with sufficient time I myself gave a 12 week window and there's no guarantee that it will be here even then.

In my next life I wish I could be as smart as you!!

I'm not 100% about this, but I don't think a birth certificate issued by the hospital is going to do you any good.

Others can chime in here, don't you have to go to a government office (the County courthouse maybe) to get the official document?

T

In my situation, I, too, trusted the post office/government employee who told me very definately that there would be NO PROBLEM getting the passport in time for my trip! If she had even indicated the SLIGHTEST chance that I wouldn't, I would have gladly paid the extra $60!

I decided to go on this cruise after taking my first cruise in Nov./Dec. No passport needed then, it was to Mexico.

I also had to save the money to pay down my child support arrears. They don't let you get a passport if you owe more than $2,500 in back child support(my ex-husband has custody of our son).

So, I am generally not an idiot about things like this; in fact, I normally am the one who has all her ducks in a row, so to speak. I, too, was offended by the rude post.

I think all I can do now is wait...and hope it appears in the next 20 days! In the mean time, I think I'll call RCI to find out what kind of a refund I can get...if I'm out of luck and have to try and plan a Hawaii cruise(instead of Spain and Portugal).

When I have tried calling I get a message that basically says 'we are busy, go to our website instead' and then it hangs up on me.

I finally called Consumer Affairs - they got me an same day appopintment - luckily I was near the SF processing center (was told the other option was in North Carolina). Here's how it went...

Drove to SF, parked (meters give you 1 minutes for every 5 cents) - fed meter, went into building, up elevator to metal detector, confirmed that I had a 1:00 appt, thru metal detector and got in line #1 - 20 minutes later...

I said I had an appt, showed him my paperwork (Faxed from Consumer Affairs), and started explaining my situation - "applied in Jan., told passport is here, for my daughter, need to get on ships manifest by tomorrow", his response - slid me a ticket under the window #228 and said to wait :mad:

Process is: get your ticket, wait to be called to a window....go to said window, explain...either your passport is waiting or needs to be processed. If already processed- goto the pickup line (which was longer than waiting to get tickets to see Star Wars - I'm quoting a man standing in said line), If not processed, wait for processing, get recalled to window to be told processing is complete - NOW go to pickup window line.

I waited over an hour before I went to move my car - and left. One lady I spoke with was there since 10 this morning and was still waiting to be called to her window by her appointment #

Maybe I'll head back up at 4:30 to see if they're to my # or not...LOL

I think I'll send S.O. up next week - he's got a day off...

For everyone who's contemplating canceling your trip, I've read elsewhere on the boards that people are having luck by calling their congressman. The passport showed up a few days later. Don't know if it works everytime, but it would be horrible to have to cancel a trip and possibly eat the cost.

In my situation, I, too, trusted the post office/government employee who told me very definately that there would be NO PROBLEM getting the passport in time for my trip! If she had even indicated the SLIGHTEST chance that I wouldn't, I would have gladly paid the extra $60!

Same HERE!!

Sheri

We applied for our passports on March 6th. The woman at the post office said that they just got word that it was taking ten weeks. I counted off ten weeks from that day which brings us two days before we leave town for our cruise. Hmmmmm

My sister went to the passport office in Chicago a couple days ago and got there at 6 a.m. Was there ten hours. They told people who weren't traveling in twenty-four hours to go home. She didn't and she got theirs. You have to check first to see where your passport was though. They are now in Jamaica.

My husband and I renewed our very old passports and of course my daughters' is new. We won't pay the expedited price. Sounds like a ripoff anyhow. I just hope we don't miss the boat in Mexico or Honduras.

Has anyone talked to the cruise lines and asked them "what ifs"?

I forgot to mention that we waited until a couple days before our final payment on the cruise to apply for a passport. The reason is that we didn't know if our daughter's graduation date would change since we had lots of snow days this year. Nobody knows when anyone's passport will come in.

I wonder if they are working overtime or hiring extra people to help with the overload? They should.

We applied for my husband & 3 kids on 2/16 here in Florida. We received them in the mail yesterday. We did not expedite or add anything special to it. They show being processed on 3/20. Luckily we didn't need them until June. Good Luck.

Sherry

I'm not 100% about this, but I don't think a birth certificate issued by the hospital is going to do you any good.

Others can chime in here, don't you have to go to a government office (the County courthouse maybe) to get the official document?

T

My bad....You are right. I didn't work it very well.

Here in MA you have to go to the town hall of the town your parents resided in when you were born, or to the town hall of the town where the hospital is located.

I got ahold of someone in Passport services last Wednesday 3/21. Lots of things transpired after that, butI check my passport online today to find out he did what he said he would! He expedited the passport and did not charge the overnight delivery fee. The passport was scheduled to arrive yesterday (which was a Sunday), so keeping my fingers crossed that it will be here today!

:D :D :D

When I applied 2/1 they said 6 weeks. Then I checked the website and it said I should receive it 4/2, then it said 4/3, then it said 4/4. Now when I check it there is not date listed! This has been such a waste of money. DD's is only good for 5 years. If we don't get it for this cruise I may have to renew it before she ever gets a chance to use it. Not to mention I have to use a vacation day to run around from town to town to town to get new birthcertificates for everyone.

:( :( :(

Hi, I am from MA too. My husband mailed his paperwork in on 01/31/07 and just recieved his passport this past Sat 03/24/07. I too checked their site and it said he'd get it by the 28th of March, however we got it early. Hope this gives you an idea on when to expect it. Didn't notice, when do you cruise out?

When I applied 2/1 they said 6 weeks. Then I checked the website and it said I should receive it 4/2, then it said 4/3, then it said 4/4.

We applied 2/2 and I pretty much seen the same dates. Then, I checked their website last week and my girlfreinds Passport was mailed. She received it this pass weekend. I called Sunday and asked about mine and they told me I should receive it in about 4 days. Maybe you will get yours soon.

Hmmm. I applied last Monday. Check was cashed today but I'm not showing as in the system. Should I be?

It took my husband's renewal about a week to show up after the check was cashed. We didn't expedite and it took about a month for them to cash the check. We are anticipating it arriving the middle of April.

I called Sunday and asked about mine and they told me I should receive it in about 4 days.

Just an update. I just checked their website and my priority mail delivery confirmation number has been issued.

It takes up to 3 weeks after you apply for it to show up in their system. Dont worry. However if any of you are traveling out of the country within weeks and still dont have a passport contact the agency and make an appointment with the local agency there and they will expedite it on teh same day. I had that problem with my boss.

passport was done on feb 20th online date changed 3 times from april 25, 27 ,29,th. which we leave on the 27th ... well to make a long story short ... i called my state congressman... and low and behold guess what came in the mail today 5week after applying... yep passport my husbands not mine yet but im sure it will be here tomorrow fed x 1 day mail... go figure i guess it s who you know not what you know.:D

Well, I guess I should be happy that my check was cashed so soon.:)

Whoo Hoo! Just checked the site again and I'm being processed!

That's great news! My daughter and I applied on Feb. 22nd, I called a couple of weeks ago and the man said they DO have the applications, but they are still not showing up in the system! We are not leaving on our overseas trip until June 9th so I wonder if that is why they are not showing up in the system yet!:confused: I'm so anxious to finally see them being processed!

Sheri

Okay, I'm really desperate. I took someone's advice and e-mailed my congressman yesterday. Got a response back today and they will try to speed it up. They said that the past few weeks, however, they aren't even getting prompt responses, due to the overload and backlog. But I do feel that maybe there is now hope...I just might get on that transatlantic afterall...it will be a miracle!

Archived