Fleet week: NYC

bluefintuna

We are driving from Massachusetts sailing Miracle on Sunday, May 27. When we booked this cruise we didn't realize this was Fleet Week. How much of an impact will this have coming into N.Y. Should be there before noon (or after midnight, one or the other). Booked a cruise from Brooklyn last Sept. and that worked out fine, but we realize this is entirely different.

We are driving from Massachusetts sailing Miracle on Sunday, May 27. When we booked this cruise we didn't realize this was Fleet Week. How much of an impact will this have coming into N.Y. Should be there before noon (or after midnight, one or the other). Booked a cruise from Brooklyn last Sept. and that worked out fine, but we realize this is entirely different.

The Navy will be using some of the piers to dock their ships and have open house as well. Increased security will be in effect. Get there early....I would aim to be at the dock by 10....

Boy, I just knew you would respond, SMeyer, thanks a bunch for any and all info. Guess the only saving grace is they moved the Intrepid.

Yes but they are also working on that pier one less place to tie ships up to...

Hi bluefintuna,

Enjoy your cruise out of the Greatest Harbor in the World.

I took a cruise out of NYC in the past during Fleet Week also.

We departed on the HAL Rotterdam about 2-3 years ago, actually on the Thursday (beginning day) "Parade of the Ships" Day. Of course, she came in about 7AM that day, way before the other military ships entered the harbor around 10-11 AM.

I did come by my private car and parked on the long term parking section of the pier. I experienced regular security & military security at the entrance ramp of the pier at 55th St & West Side Hwy. After asking my business at the pier, they waved me on to proceed to the drop off area on the next level where we unloaded the baggage without any problem.

Then I proceeded up the ramp to the above level parking. Paid $180 for the 11 day cruise. After I passed thru the toll booth, my car was inspected by a MP with a security dog. The dog did not enter the car but did sniff the outside and I had to pop the hood to inspect the engine compartment & trunk. Also they used a mirror for the undercarriage of the car.

I was directed to proceed to the farest pier to park in long term area. Because we were the only one's (cruiseship) docked there that day, so we had plenty of space parking.

It was a exciting day since the Carrier, JFK was on the next pier from us.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived