Mariner - San Juan Rainforest Excursion?

Our family of four will be sailing on the Mariner on 1/20/08 with a stop in San Juan, PR and are pretty excited about the possibility of visiting El Yunque. It's not everyday one gets to experience a rainforest! We would book the excursion through the cruiseline as prices are very reasonable.

The excursion is 4 1/2 hours long with a 90-minute bus ride in eiither direction. That leaves 90 minutes to see El Yunque, which doesn't seem like much time.

Has anybody taken this excursion? How was the bus ride? How much of El Yunque do you get to see in the allotted time? Any impressions would be greatly appreciated.

We did this excursion years ago. You do get a good flavor of the rainforest in the 90 minutes. We had our children with us (older teens) and we all enjoyed it. My husband and I went back to Puerto Rico a few years later, rented a car and went there again.

We did this excursion this past august on a princess cruise - myself, husband and 2 sons - 13 & 8... This was a nice amount of time to spend in the rainforest... there were 2 stops for pictures - one at a waterfall and the other at a tower - we walked all the way up to the top of the tower and had a great view! We also did the hike in the rainforest for about an hour, and that was actually long enough - lol...

Everyone had a great time on this excursion!

We'll be on this same cruise. Visit the roll call board and sign up for the meet & mingle.

I've done the rain forrest before. It's great but, I don't think 4 1/2 hrs. is enough time. We had something like 6 hrs. On 1/20/08 we don't get to port till 2 or 3 o'clock (I can't remember) so there really isn't much daylight. We were in PR in Jan. on Explorer of the Seas arriving at 2 P.M. and the rain forrest excursion wasn't offered. Only walking tours & Rum factory tours. Sooo, it may not be offered.

I really wish we could get to PR in the morning there would be so much more to do.

Archived