Suitcase vs. Garment bag

Sue L,

Do the suitcases that have the garment bag built in really work well? We have three new suitcases that all have that, but we haven't used them yet and I'm debating whether we should try that or just use the hanging bag like we've always done in the past.

Sue L,

Do the suitcases that have the garment bag built in really work well? We have three new suitcases that all have that, but we haven't used them yet and I'm debating whether we should try that or just use the hanging bag like we've always done in the past.

They worked fantastic for our last cruise. The garment bag part has a padded bar in the middle so that there is not a flat fold, hopefully that makes sense. Make sure everything is nice and flat and smoothed out before you fold it over. DH had his suit in it, we laid the suit out in the bag and folded the arms in front of the jacket and it worked great.

Just remember.....no matter how carefully and meticulously you pack, it is possible that a TSA inspector will remove everything from your bag during the inspection process. At our airport, the bags are inspected out in the open, next to the lines at the check-in counter, and I watched several bags being completely emptied, then repacked.

We bought new suitcases last year and they have garment bags actually built into the suitcase and now very little wrinkling. The secret I have found in to have layers so nothing like pants has a horizontal crease.

This method works great!

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90

If you don't mind, what brand was the suitcase? I need to bu y new luggage this year and this sounds wonderful. Thanks

If you don't mind, what brand was the suitcase? I need to bu y new luggage this year and this sounds wonderful. Thanks

Atlantic is the brand and it is sold at Macy's. Keep an eye on the sales as they do discount it a couple of times a year. I found the website for you and this is the model we have. We each have the 28" suiter and a rolling carry on

http://www.atlanticluggage.com/altitudelite.html

I found the Atlantic brand cheaper at Tuesday Mornings than they had on sale at Macys. I went to both and looked. I still need to go buy some but will probably end up at TM. I forget the price but I remember when I saw what it was at Macys at 50 percent off TM was a lot less. Ill have to go back and look again..

I have been looking at the Heys luggage too but as nice as it looks, I have been reading some not so happy reviews.

I travel a lot for my job and am really hard on luggage so I read reviews on how well it holds up being tossed around by airport luggage personnel.

I have a rolling garment bag that works well. On cruises or longer events for work I end up taking my suitcase and the garment bag. I tend to need a lot of stuff.. LOL.

Archived