El Cedral ruins? and Paradise Beach

bbech

Have been reading these boards alot, as a first time cruiser, and would like to thank everyone for all the wonderful info!

My dd doesn't want to leave Mexico without seeing something of the Mayan civilization - the trips to Tulum sound awesome, but a little long in travel time and short in sightseeing time.

Haven't seen too much info on the El Cedral ruins, except at one website, mentioned that it was just south of Paradise Beach.

Has anyone been there? Is there an admission fee? I'm assuming that we could visit the ruins and relax at Paradise Beach afterwards. Tom, I've got a new bookbag full of school supplies for the kids! Coming on Aug 20th on the Rhapsody! Can't wait;) .... Barb

The "ruins" at Cedral are in reality, just one structure, about 10 ft tall. Not exciting, and not worth the effort. If you've never seen ruins before, San Gervasio will be your best bet. They aren't anywhere near the beach though, and it's about a 25 min. drive from International or Puerta Maya Piers and about 15-20 min. from downtown. DO get a guide to show you around, they'll bring the ruins to life! Don't forget sunscreen and bugspray, and we'll see you here after that!

PS- thanx for the school supplies!

• 3 months later...

Tom...any suggestions for arranging a guided tour of San Gervasio ruins? My husband would LOVE to see some Mayan ruins, but Tulum is so far away (and we only have such a little time to spend) that is does seem like a waste. :confused:

From a tourist's viewpoint, I agree you can skip "El Cedral". We went down a long road and at the very end is a parking lot. There is a donkey there that you can probably pay to take pictures with. There is a church (chapel really) & an old cavelike structure that may be the 'ruin'. Then there are a number of vendors setup there. It is not worth the time. And we did actually run out of time, & did not make San Gervaiso before their closing time. Next time, we need to head their 1st :)

Archived