Braemar 20 September 2007 - Newcastle to Southampton

tom_uk

• 5 months later...
iam going on the BOUDICCA in 7 days time and have not got my tickets yet!

i did thew BRAEMAR in august to kirkwall and bergen. i did a review on here, hope you enjoy it i was on her in 94 when she was owned by cunard.

dave

Where was the review posted? - I couldn't find it here on CruiseCritic.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I don't know if anyone picked this up - I made the post but then had an error so the update didn't push the thread up the list - but I have been blogging from our Braemar cruise.

Basically we had a great time. I'll be posting pictures and a review soon.

Here's the blog:-

http://tomtotley.wordpress.com/

great reading it, sorry that you never made it to guernsey. i got there on BOUDICCA the weather was glorious!! i have made it everytime i have been there on a cruise.cherbourg is not aas good i know. i was on the black prince and went there instead of jersey. i week before i was on the QM" what a difference. all the town was there and really enjoyed it especially the departure. th place was deserted on the bp. so tyhere ses were rough on the way back, she does move around quite a bit. we had 4-5 when i was on her. i like the BRAEMAR more than the BOUDICCA |i think.

looking forward to your review.

dave

Thanks Tom for blog and photos ,being a fan of Olsens Boudicca and traveling on her shortly can you tell me FO internet charges.Is there a plug in for your own laptop or did you use theirs.

Thanks.:)

Unfortunately I have to say that internet provision was one defininite weak point. You buy a card from reception, with an amount of minutes connect-time 'programmed-in' - it's like a chip&pin credit card. Then you have to use their PCs, which are mounted on tables and which have a card reader. So it's not possible to connect with your own laptop, unfortunately.

Also I couldn't see any way of using applications off-line to prepare content before connecting; there was a tailored screen (generated by some application or that I couldn't close) which only gave access to the browser. So when I was blogging I had to do it all on-line, hence the mistakes as I rushed to minimise the minutes I was using.

The access time is not cheap either - it was £10 for a 30-minute card, plus a deposit of £10. You can get the £10 back by handing the card back in at Reception. There didn't seem to be anyone permanently on duty at the internet centre.

The actual connection worked fine, and it wasn't too slow.

Thanks Tom,yes that is expensive ,I,ve just come off Cunard ,do a blog also,their charges where about 49$ for 2 hrs.,thought I might have been able to take the laptop this time and upload my photos but doesn,t seem to be.

I must say ,I,ve never seen anyone in the computer room on his other ships either.:)

I must say ,I,ve never seen anyone in the computer room on his other ships either.

I'd previously done a couple of cruises on Galaxy, and I have to say that internet access was very good there: I was able to use my MacBook (they had wifi in a few places) and time wasn't too expensive if you bought enough of it. Best of all, they had someone technically savvy on duty during the intenet centre's official open hours. (They had a couple of PCs out in a public area that could use outside those hours, and of course you could use the wifi at any time.)

Thanks for posting your blog address.

did you do the 40th round Britain ,I did the one where we broke down at Dubrovnik and spent a day anchored in the bay.

No; never been on Cunard.

Next cruise not until 31 May next year.....

Archived