Phil Lafayette is 100% recommended!

kross

Our group of six used Phil last week and had an absolutely wonderful time.

Phil met us promptly at the dock (we had booked a tour with him through his website at http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com) and after introductions (very funny), a quick lesson on being honorary Jamaicans (yeah mon, no problem, irie mon!)...we set about on a scenic drive around the area (Phil does a great job of telling you about the plants/trees/flowers, the school system, the housing, all sorts of interesting information and even stops at a little stand by the side of the road to show you some "local culture"). And did I mention singing...not only is Phil quite knowledgable about his country, he's quite the entertainer too!

Our day included climbing the Falls (WOW, what a blast...I wanted to go back to the bottom and do it again!), a white-water tubing ride (also, very fun), and lunch at an outside-type restaurant Phil choose (yummy....messy, but yummy!)

Our experience with Phil made Jamaica an awesome adventure and I couldn't give any higher compliment than to say if I'm ever in Jamaica again (talkin' fast and walkin' slow)...it just wouldn't be the same without Phil!

If you have any questions about Phil or his tours...just ask. I'd love to relive our Jamaican adventures with you!

Hi there.

Liked your recommendation of Phil. Thanks for the website address. I've bookmarked it.

My husband and I are very interested in more information on the tubing excursion. What size are the tubes? Does your butt get tired/sore? Can you abandon the tubing at anytime if you don't like it?

Would love to hear more and if you have pictures we would love to see them!!!

Finally, is this the same excursion offered by the cruise ships? But cheaper perhaps?

Thanks in advance.

We highly recommend Phil as well. We just returned from our cruise and the concensus of the family was that tubing was the highlight of the Jamaica excursion. The guides were fantastic and unbelievable swimmers. They kept our entire group together so that no one got too far ahead.

The tubes are like large tire inner tubes with a floor in the hole so that you aren't hanging through. No, it's not possible to abandon the tubing during the trip down the river - but believe me you won't want to. Very pretty scenery and a nice break from the heat. The river isn't deep. There are some small rapids which make it fun. Again, the guides are very good about making sure everyone is safe. Take your water proof camera.

I don't think this is the same excursion as through the ships as there were no crowds.

It's a must do! Have fun.

You mentioned taking your waterproof camera....is there enough water splashing etc that a normal camera (digital) would be in danger? I was planning the waterproof one for the falls, but wasn't sure about the tubing.

Thanks.

I probably wouldn't take an expensive digital camera. It sometimes helps to get your hands in the water to help paddle you along. With the waterproof we didn't have to worry about it getting wet. You won't get soaked like at the falls though.

Have fun!

By the way, Phil sent us an e-mail asking how the rest of our trip was. What a nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recommended Phil. I booked a tour with him based on all the good reviews and I was not disappointed! We did the tubing and Dunn's River Falls. We all liked the tubing best and our guide, Dwight, was very nice and helpful. Phil was great in introducing us to his culture, history and the different aspects of Jamaica. His tours are a better value than the one in the cruise ships as far as price and size. I would recommend Phil and would certainly see him again on our next trip to Jamaica. Thanks again, Phil!

We have just returned from a tour with Phil. His website is

http://www.phil-layfayette.tours.com.

We did the falls, and were the first group to go up. We also did the river tubing and a tour around town. Phil was an wonderful guide and very informative. We were very comforable with him. DH purchased a bottle of water from a road side stand and the seller gave us local $$ for change. Phil went over to make sure we got american $$.

I would recommend Phil for your tour.

• 1 month later...

Phil Lafayette is AWESOME! I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone who is going to Jamaica. He's informative, funny, honest and his prices are EXTREMELY reasonable. With him, we got to see parts of Jamaica that are off the beaten path. We also were able to go tubing AND to Dunns River Falls. All of this for $50 per person (his fee is only $30 which includes admission into the falls; the extra $20 was for the tubing which you don't have to do.). He also had us laughing the entire day. I can't imagine having had a better experience in Jamaica. It was by far the best part of our entire cruise. If we go to Jamaica again, we will definitely be looking Phil up.

If you go, tell him Sharon, Bill and the twins referred you!

Sharon

It's nice to see all the good postings about Phil. We have been on 2 cruises that went to Jamaica and we booked with Phil both times. He has sent us Christmas messages, birthday notes, etc. My 2 boys (teenagers) loved him as well. He is the greatest!

We are booked with him in 2 weeks. I don't think ours includes the tubing. Is that something he discusses with you when he picks you up. I know that we will do the falls first. Did any of you change clothes for the touring part of the trip and restaurant. I am working on my packing list right now.

It seems like many of these tours, include Phil's, stop for lunch. About how much does that cost and what does it include as far a food and drinks? We love jerk and enjoyed it a on previous trip to Jamaica so we would look forward to a great lunch, but we don't want to do it if it will cost us an additional $40.

Also someone mentioned that the tour was suppose to be 3 1/2 hours long and they ended up gone all day, has anyone had problems getting back to the boat?

His tour sounds great and $50 is cheaper then the cruise and other tours so I am very interested. Besides the lunch how much did most people spend (tips, vendors, etc...)? Sorry if I am sounding cheap, but we are trying really hard to stick to a budget.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say enough wonderful things about Phil. We used him on a tour in May, and we are still talking about what a great time we had. He's thorough, completely hilarious and made sure all of us on our tour had a great time. I will definitely go back and book with Phil.

Book with Phil...you won't be sorry!

http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com

Lisa :)

Archived