1A's Sold Out -- Chance of Cheap Single Cabin Closer 2 Sailing?

ALadyNCal

My (limited) understanding is the 1As are the cheapest way for single cruisers to go. We are now booked in May on the Valor. Would love to invite a single friend to go with us. However, given how expensive it would be for him I am hesitant to do so.

Any experience or speculation on single cabin fares being cheaper closer to the sailing date?

My (limited) understanding is the 1As are the cheapest way for single cruisers to go. We are now booked in May on the Valor. Would love to invite a single friend to go with us. However, given how expensive it would be for him I am hesitant to do so.

Any experience or speculation on single cabin fares being cheaper closer to the sailing date?

ALadyNCal,

1As are the cheapest for singles. We booked a single 1A in October for our April Glory cruise and it's actually lowered in price three times since then (And we got OBC for the last two & price adjustment for the first.)

I've obviously kept checking and the 1A wasn't available for a few weeks, but then it showed up with rooms available and now is guarantee available. It never has been available for our sailing with a past guest rate. My guess is that folks booked in 1A either got upgraded or cancelled for whatever reason.

The best advice is to keep checking. :)

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

As people with insurance cancel on the cruise, the "upgrade escalator" starts to move and people are bumped up which leaves the 1A's available for new bookings. The price will go up and down depending on how many are open.

Also, TA's that have purchased groups of cabins start to turn them back and whatever hit they take on their refund can be seen in the price of the 1A's after the upgrade escalator does its thing.

I had my eye on the Glory on 05/26/07 and all of the 1A suddenly disappeared in the span of 3 hours (at least 5 cabins plus all the guaranteeds).:eek: Rather than chance not getting on any ship on Memorial Day weekend, I booked a 1A on the Liberty. (I was torn between the two ships.) I check the price of the 1A's on the Liberty several times a day and so far there has been no movement.

Back in August, I had my eye on the Destiny for the Oct 1 cruise. At one point all of the 1A's disappeared and I panicked and called an online travel company. They were able to book me in a 1A on that particular cruise. However, the price I paid in August was $664. The price started dropping in early September and by two weeks b/4 the cruise, the price had dropped to a low of $329. I was able to get the difference in OBC. The last two weeks b/4 the cruise the price started to go up again.

If your friend can cruise last minute, just wait and see what happens with the price.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
As people with insurance cancel on the cruise' date=' the "upgrade escalator" starts to move and people are bumped up which leaves the 1A's available for new bookings. The price will go up and down depending on how many are open.

Also, TA's that have purchased groups of cabins start to turn them back and whatever hit they take on their refund can be seen in the price of the 1A's after the upgrade escalator does its thing.

I had my eye on the Glory on 05/26/07 and all of the 1A suddenly disappeared in the span of 3 hours (at least 5 cabins plus all the guaranteeds).:eek: Rather than chance not getting on any ship on Memorial Day weekend, I booked a 1A on the Liberty. (I was torn between the two ships.) I check the price of the 1A's on the Liberty several times a day and so far there has been no movement.

Back in August, I had my eye on the Destiny for the Oct 1 cruise. At one point all of the 1A's disappeared and I panicked and called an online travel company. They were able to book me in a 1A on that particular cruise. However, the price I paid in August was $664. The price started dropping in early September and by two weeks b/4 the cruise, the price had dropped to a low of $329. I was able to get the difference in OBC. The last two weeks b/4 the cruise the price started to go up again.

If your friend can cruise last minute, just wait and see what happens with the price.[/quote']

As a follow up to the above post by me, I just checked Carnival's website and, lo and behold, there are now 4 or 5 Cat. 1A's available to book on their 05/26/07 eastern cruise. Yesterday there were none. In fact, if anyone is interested in this particular cruise, the ever-so-popular cabin 2462 (1A with 2 picture windows) is back up and available.

Something tells me that someone with insurance cancelled and perhaps the upgrade escalator when to work.:p

I am already booked on the Liberty and am hoping to snag either 2462 or 2465 if they become available again.

Always keep checking. It is surprising what comes open.

Archived