Leaving Barcelona port after luggage check-in

We are flying in to Barcelona and being picked up by a group and taken to the port in Barcelona. I was wondering if it is OK to check-in your luggage with the ship and then leaving the port for awhile to see the town. I am afraid this is our only opportunity to see the town. We really just want to go over the bridge and see the shopping areas and restaurants. Also what time should we check back in if our ship leaves at 7:00 P.M? Thanks for any feedback.

We are flying in to Barcelona and being picked up by a group and taken to the port in Barcelona. I was wondering if it is OK to check-in your luggage with the ship and then leaving the port for awhile to see the town. I am afraid this is our only opportunity to see the town. We really just want to go over the bridge and see the shopping areas and restaurants. Also what time should we check back in if our ship leaves at 7:00 P.M? Thanks for any feedback.

Hi,

we are on a Disney crusie in the summer and have heard that we can check in from1pm- leave our luggae and then get back to the ship upto 9pm( so lots of time to explore) not sure as haven't done a med crusie before but would check with your crusie line.:)

Yes, it is ok to check your luggage at the Port and then wander. I suggest you take a taxi from the Port to Las Ramblas, (like 10 EU), walk up Las R, but you can also take a metro once you're at Las R. to Las Sagrada, and all the other places. Look it up on the web, or get a guide book. I'd be on the ship by 5 b/c there may be quite a line-up at Port, also, the traffic to the Port may be crazy, etc. It's not as bad as it sounds, tho'. European cities are fairly compact.

We did this last summer on our Princess cruise. We checked our luggage, put our carry-ons in our room, and then took off back into Barcelona port. I would also suggest checking with your cruise line just to make sure, though.

As for when you should be back on the ship, check to see when your muster drill is. We set sail at 10 PM, and the main muster drill was sometime in the early evening. They did, however, hold a later drill for all those who were not on board yet (just before sailing, I think). Just make sure you are on board for the drill - the cruise line will probably be able to give you a definite time for being on board.

Have fun!

Thank you all for your feedback. Do you think it would be better to go all through checking in to the ship and then leaving with your ship pass or would it be better just to check in on return from sightseeing so you only go through the line once?

I personally felt very good knowing that all of our stuff was on the ship rather than waiting until the evening. We did some sight-seeing in the am, then went to the hotel mid-day to head to the ship (we had checked out when we left in the morning, but left our luggage with the concierge at the hotel). It was a nice way to break up the day. If you check-in and give the ship your luggage earlier in the day and then head back out, this gives them a few hours to get your bags to your room. If you checked your bags just before sailing, you might not get your bags until a few hours later.

When we went back to the ship later in the evening, we didn't have to wait in any line because we had already done the check-in process. Just walk up to the ship and scan your card!

• 2 weeks later...

We will arrive early morning in Barcelona for our trip on the Voyager, we are thinking of taking a taxi from the airpotrt to the port, to check in our luggage and complete check in, before leaving to meet up with some friends who will be in Barcelona that day.

Hopefully that will not be a problem?

We have cruised out of Barcelona 3 x's and going again in December...Always fly Delta that arrives in Barcelona around 7:25 am....Go to ATM in airport for Euro's, catch cab to pier (30e), drop of luggage, catch bus at pier for 2 or 3 e rt that drops you off at foot of Las Ramblas, go shopping etc and return to ship with cheap fresh flowers for cabin and some good cheap Spanish wine and then check in.

Don't know how up to date this bus info is.................

How to travel from the Cruise port to Barcelona City Centre, or the other way around!

There is a special shuttle bus service that runs from all three Cruise port terminals at Port Vell docs down to the monument of Christopher Columbus which is at the southern most end of the Ramblas. The walking time from the Christopher Columbus monument to the Ramblas is only about 5 mins, and the nearest Metro is Drassanes (Green Line, L3), which is also on the Ramblas and only about 10 mins walk from the monument. Once at the metro you will have a good transport connection to the rest of the city via the metro system.

The bus service is called Z.A.L Bus and is a bright blue bus that runs every 20 mins from along all 3 cruise terminals to the Christopher Columbus monument back.

Normal hours of operation are from 08:20 in the morning to 20:45 in the evening. The journey time depends on which terminal you are docking at but will take around 15 mins depending on the traffic conditions. Ticket price is 1.10 Euros.

The other option is to simply catch a taxi from the cruise terminal to the city centre which is cheap ( around 8 euros to the city centre for the taxi) and quick (normally ess than 10 mins)

Archived