Suites on Amsterdam

jmk22574

I've found a cruise/itinerary to Alaska this September that is perfect. Of course all the bigger suites are full, but since most of my research has been regarding the Noordam and Oosterdam until now, could someone familiar with the Amsterdam please fill me in on their suites. When I say the "bigger suites" are all booked, I'm assuming those are similar to the deluxe verandah suites on the Oosterdam/Noordam. The only option left for this particular cruise is called "A-Verandah Suite." In particular, it is rooms 6158 and 6123. Is this type of suite more similar to that of a superior verandah suite on the Oosterdam/Noordam. What perks come with this particular suite on the Amsterdam? If anyone has any additional thoughts on this ship, I would really appreciate you sharing them. ****One additional question, does the Amsterdam have a nice gym/fitness center? Are there windows to the outside? Thanks so much - ;)

I've found a cruise/itinerary to Alaska this September that is perfect. Of course all the bigger suites are full, but since most of my research has been regarding the Noordam and Oosterdam until now, could someone familiar with the Amsterdam please fill me in on their suites. When I say the "bigger suites" are all booked, I'm assuming those are similar to the deluxe verandah suites on the Oosterdam/Noordam. The only option left for this particular cruise is called "A-Verandah Suite." In particular, it is rooms 6158 and 6123. Is this type of suite more similar to that of a superior verandah suite on the Oosterdam/Noordam. What perks come with this particular suite on the Amsterdam? If anyone has any additional thoughts on this ship, I would really appreciate you sharing them. ****One additional question, does the Amsterdam have a nice gym/fitness center? Are there windows to the outside? Thanks so much - ;)

The Category "A" Verandah Suites on Amsterdam are smaller than the "S" Class on both the "R" and "S" class ships as well as the Vista Class......who's suites are smaller than on ships in the other classes.

The Category "A" cabin is very nice and certainly comfortable for two people but is about 290 square feet vs. 556 square feet for the "S" class Suites. The "S" cabins, of course, have the dressing room with separate sink and dressing table. Generous closet/storage space and very large verandah.

The category "A" cabins receive as amenities: Variety of firm, medium and soft pillows; no host mini bar; personalized cruise stationery; oversized bath towels telephone concierge service and fresh flowers.

They do not receive the use of Neptune Lounge with the personal concierge service; priority embarktion/disembarkation/tendering, dry cleaning/laundry and the many other extras which are included in the considerably higher fare for "S" and "PS" cabins.

IF you really want to take that cruise, I definitely would book one of the "A" cabins if that is the best available. Perhaps you could go on a wait list for the "S". The "A's" are nice cabins.....go for it.

Amsterdam is a wonderful ship. Very beautiful. She did the World Cruise this year and we have very much enjoyed sailing her.

Personally, if I were choosing between the two cabins you mention, I would opt for 6158 as it is more mid-ship. Just my personal preference.

****One additional question, does the Amsterdam have a nice gym/fitness center? Are there windows to the outside? Thanks so much - ;)

Yes, in my opinion, the Amsterdam has a very nice gym/fitness center with weight and cardio machines, and there are windows to the outside. I should add that I only looked at the fitness area, I didn't actually use it, as I prefer to get my exercise walking around the promenade deck (plus I'm a lazy slob.....)

Sorry.... I forgot to mention the gym.

Yes.....Amsterdam (all HAL ships) have fitness centers with lots of windows and we find them far more than fine. We enjoy using their treadmills and ellipticals and bikes. There are weights and classes....everything you could reasonably want for during your cruise.

The view are fabulous from the gym. To walk on the treadmills looking out to the bow is great. All the treadmills have individual flat screen tv's to 'while away' the miles. We love them.

We were in A6148 and it's a great location. The laundromat is halfway between 48 and 58 but no close enough to hear passenger conversations or the machines running. Sail forgot to mention the whirlpool tubs, they are not double width but they are nice. There is a lot of storage space in the A cabins. The dresser has 9 deep drawers as opposed to the Vista ships which have little drawer space. Port side is a nice place to be in Alaska and the verandas on R class ships in A category are bigger than on Vista.

The Amsterdam is sister flagship of the fleet with Rotterdam and is a wonderful ship.

Bring rain gear in September, we had an almost solid week of rain.

GN

Yes, in my opinion, the Amsterdam has a very nice gym/fitness center with weight and cardio machines, and there are windows to the outside. I should add that I only looked at the fitness area, I didn't actually use it, as I prefer to get my exercise walking around the promenade deck (plus I'm a lazy slob.....)

I am teary-eyed with this one. I too know all about the gym from an armchair perspective, for the reasons you stated.

In particular, it is rooms 6158 and 6123. Is this type of suite more similar to that of a superior verandah suite on the Oosterdam/Noordam.
No, the A through BC cabins, at 292 sq ft, are just 15% larger than the VA through VF cabins on the Vistas, and are very similar. The Amsterdam (and all other R & S class ships) have no equivalent of the 398 sq ft Superior SS/SY/SZ of the Vistas.

Thanks everyone.....the choices have finally been narrowed down to the Amsterdam in mid-September or the Noordam in late September. Right now, the Amsterdam looks like a slightly better choice overall. A conversation with the TA in the morning should result in a decision - this is so exciting. Thanks for all the helpful information on this ship and apparently room 6158 in particular - ;) (Now if someone books one or both of these remaining suites before I get the chance to, well then I guess hello Noordam....here we come!)

Archived