Formal night- What some people wear

czardas

When I wrote my review last month, I totally forgot to mention the sight that I saw.

We were all dressed upto the nines and were waiting in yep another queue, (seems that's all we do on cruises) for formal portraits. Now whilst you are standing there and waiting whilst the photographer takes 6 shots of each person, you start to look around to see what people are wearing.

Most people had gone to a lot of effort and looked wonderful, except for the man that was walking towards me. He was wearing an addidas track suit pants and a t shirt. Poor fellow I thought he must be looking for someone and will go back to his cabin and change soon, so I thought.

Nope, he then proceeded to the captains cocktail party. He approached the doors and I am pleased to say they refused to let him in.

I couldn't believe it.

Has anyone else seen something like this happen. Don't people realise that Formal means just that and the old trackie aint welcome.

By the way this guy then continued to wear this outfit for the next 3 days. i was starting to think his suitcase must of gone walkies, until day 4 saw a change of t shirt.

The second formal night people seem to slacken off and are over it by this stage of the trip, still no excuses for the guy on the next table to us in the restaurant that came in wearing his shorts and thongs. After my hubby had a quick word to the Maitre De, about dress codes, the guy was asked to change. Fairs fair, there are rules and standards and these should be obeyed, how hard is it to dress correctly?

What are your thoughts and what have you experienced?

I don't think men should wear thongs in the dining room at all!! Call me a conservative, but there is a place for them, the buffet!!

I know that we are generally more 'relaxed' here in Australia, but there must be a standard. Similar rules to going to a club would be fine (the bowling club/RSL type!!).:p

I know that you're on holiday, but it is a tradition that I would like to see continue. I'd hate to see the day when the majority rock up in shorts and a t-shirt.:(

Hi cruisers, I agree there is a place for the VERY casual dressers..... namely... the buffet.

People go cruising to relax and enjoy themselves,and dress casually during the day.

but .. In the dining room at night ..things change.....dressing should be neat and tidy at the least on casual nights, and if they don't own a formal outfit for those nights, then a smart pair of slacks and a shirt would do.

but it is rude to turn up dressed like a yobo... shorts, t-shirt and thongs . yuk. they are usually the one's that turn up late, and everyone is waiting , because the dining steward can't put the order in ... we have seen it all before.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

Hi

I hope everyone makes the effort to dress up on my cruise as I myself have gone to a lot of effort to buy formal wear (got great bargains! but is still an effort) I don't want to look out of place if people are too casual. I enjoy dressing up and don't get many opportunities to do so normally as a mum with 3 boys and working.

That's my 2 bobs worth anyway. :D

Liz

Hi all, I will probably wear a coat and tie just to keep my wife happy, but my belief is that it is what is on the inside which matters, not what is worn on the outside. I know some women will disagree with me, that is why they love fashion. Even some of the men will disagree with me (while their partners are listening). Dressing up is a ladies thing, not a men's thing and any lady who has taken a man clothes shopping will know that this is true.

Sorry Cooee Kid that's just not true!!! Living with a house full of males I swear they take longer making sure that everything is just right My Hb and sons take time and effort even to go to our local shops Where I wouldn't care how I went (just slip on dark glasses and run) :eek: It is every ones personal choice But We love the opportunity to dress up and put in an effort

Hi all, I will probably wear a coat and tie just to keep my wife happy, but my belief is that it is what is on the inside which matters, not what is worn on the outside.

My husband took me shopping before we left on our cruise as he wanted to take the oppotunity to really dress up on the formal night and look great. So he bought a beautiful tux and dressed it up with a smart bow tie. He looked sensational and I loved him for taking pride in his appearance and making an effort.

I feel that people that don't dress up have a low opinion of themselves and I slothenly attitude.

Sorry Cooee Kid, I feel sorry for your wife.

i noticed on our last cruise on the sun in September that the formal nights were more like smart casual nights, with the exception of a few people! I wish everyone would put a little more effort into getting dressed up for the formal nights, heck we dont get to do it very often!...well i know i dont! Im going to make the most of it this time...too bad if i look like the odd one out, least i get to play dress ups!!:p

What are your thoughts and what have you experienced?

On our Feb cruise on the Star, someone joined the first formal night dining room queue wearing a T shirt, board shorts and thongs. Most of us warned him, but he didn't listen, and was turned away at the door. They were strict - on formal nights shirt with a collar, long pants and closed shoes minimum. No shorts or open shoes on any night. Them's the rules - it's spelt out in all the pre-cruise documentation. And I agree with other posters - part of the fun is dressing up.

Spot on Qt Esme!!! It makes me feel good and proud of myself when I dress up as well!

It is fun to watch some of the really bad frocks that pass for fashion these days...and some look like they are off to the prom!! I do however change into something more suitable for the dining room, regardless of where I dine.

Sorry if I look like I'm going to the prom, probably will have people laugh at me - I really don't care!!

Not long now Qt!!

Liz

Liz, don't worry about looking like you are going to the prom, Geri (ducknchook) and I are wearing our wedding/bridesmaid dresses for one of our 4:eek: formal nights!! I was married in 2004 and Geri and I bought the same dress, mine cream and hers orange! They are Studibaker dresses from Paddington and at $500 each we will wear them when ever we get the opportunity;) ( have a look on Geri's avatar photo) I sometimes wear a really formal dress and other times just a black dress. Each to their own, and I respect everyones choice as long as it isn't thongs and tshirt.

Formal nights on a cruise ship are a tradition, and one that would be sad to lose, it's only two nights of a regular cruise people are asked to "tidy up", if you want to wear t shirt and thongs to dinner every night, go to Bali:D

And for the poster who started the thread, if you ask for peoples thoughts and experiences, don't belittle them when they give it:)

Chez

Sounds to me like dressing up is really a cultural issue. I was raised in poverty, so dressing up for me was a clean t-shirt :rolleyes:. Thanks to God, I have been very successful (self esteem is pretty high). With my wife done up to the nines (her culture), I would never detract from the way she looks by dressing down at an event that was important to her and I do like the pictures of us dressed up together. I even scrub up ok, according to the photos. All that I want is a happy, relaxed, first cruise, with a flat sea, that's not too much to ask for, is it? Alright, maybe the flat sea is a stretch, but what the heck, if you don't ask, you don't get, right? Happy sailing and flat seas to all!

We dress up all the time for business and formal social functions, usually wear suit / cocktail dress once a fortnight at least... for us it is a hassle, we do it often as part of our everday lives and there's no way we will be doing it on a cruise (where we are on holiday, and there to relax) By no means will we be dressing in tracksuits, but I think to impose anything more than smart casual on people is going a bit far!

Formal nights on a cruise ship are a tradition, and one that would be sad to lose, it's only two nights of a regular cruise people are asked to "tidy up", if you want to wear t shirt and thongs to dinner every night, go to Bali:D

Chez

Well said and I totally agree.. time slobby yobbos realized that boardies and thongs are not suitable night time dinner attire on a cruise ship... don't they read the brochures ????..must say it's not just males that are slovern.. women should also take a good look at what they are wearing omg we have seen some sights...ooops probably get roasted for that one hehehe...

I've got my black beaded cocktail dress and stiletto heels ready and waiting for our first formal night on next cruise, and also have in the ready the evening gowns and tux we will wear for the Rhapsody cruise:D ...cheers

[QUOTE]We dress up all the time for business and formal social functions, usually wear suit / cocktail dress once a fortnight at least... for us it is a hassle, we do it often as part of our everday lives and there's no way we will be doing it on a cruise (where we are on holiday, and there to relax) By no means will we be dressing in tracksuits, but I think to impose anything more than smart casual on people is going a bit far!Today 08:54 AM

Honestly I really don't care what people wear. But as I am a mum with 3 boys and a nightfiller (boring uniform) I don't get a chance to dress up and I would appreciate it if other passengers also took the effort as it's only 2 nights of the cruise.

Thanks Liz

On our last cruise there was a large group of girls and guys all in about their 20 - 30's. All up there was about 12 or 14 of them. After a couple of days we nick named them "The Dollies" because that's what they looked like. Come formal night the guys were just dressed in pants and open shirts (with more junk in their hair than the girls probably had!) and the girls were dressed like hookers! Tiny, tiny skirts and dresses, with the backs wide open and most of the fronts were open down to the navel too! Mind you they all looked like they live in the gym so they could pull it off, but that kind of stuff is ok for night clubs but NOT what i'd call formal in any way, shape or form! Whatever happened to a nice dress for the ladies and a nice suit (with tie) for the men? I must be old fashioned!

On our last cruise there was a large group of girls and guys all in about their 20 - 30's. All up there was about 12 or 14 of them. After a couple of days we nick named them "The Dollies" because that's what they looked like. Come formal night the guys were just dressed in pants and open shirts (with more junk in their hair than the girls probably had!) and the girls were dressed like hookers! Tiny, tiny skirts and dresses, with the backs wide open and most of the fronts were open down to the navel too! Mind you they all looked like they live in the gym so they could pull it off, but that kind of stuff is ok for night clubs but NOT what i'd call formal in any way, shape or form! Whatever happened to a nice dress for the ladies and a nice suit (with tie) for the men? I must be old fashioned!

Hi MsMinx, thoroughly agree with you.

I think the traditional way of cruising is long gone, but people should dress neat and tidy for dinner.

We were on the same cruise as you when Pacific sky ran aground off the isle of Pines. we were watching a movie in the show lounge.

Cooee

you sound just like my hubby!! he hates getting dressed

up so come time to get ready for dinner I go back to the cabin spend a bit of time getting dolled while i enjoy a glass of wine at my leaisure, he comes back about 15 mins before dinner a quick shower and whatever clothes I hand him. He has absolutely no interest in clothes or fashion, they are just a costly commodity to covers oneself and I have learned to live with it.

CruiseKidz

I think I like your husband already :). I must admit that I was on the train a while back and there was a train load of young men and women going off to the races looking pretty spiffy indeed. I guess if I looked that good dressing up, i'd do it more often ;)

Hi MsMinx, thoroughly agree with you.

I think the traditional way of cruising is long gone, but people should dress neat and tidy for dinner.

We were on the same cruise as you when Pacific sky ran aground off the isle of Pines. we were watching a movie in the show lounge.

Aha, well then you must know the group i'm talking about....? They were dressed pretty scantily most days and hunted in packs LOL. ;)

Most of them wore leopard print on formal night!

I just wore some really nice tailored black pants with a decorative silver thread front and a black sleeveless satin top with a lacey back. It wasn't as formal as formal can get but it was nicer than smart casual. And I felt like a million bucks in it :D Will be taking that on the next cruise as well as a gorgeous dress I bought for a friend's wedding last year. Can't wait to wear it again!! It's full length and even has a little train. heheh i've turned it into a fashion chat now..... sorry! Back on track now :)

Archived