Labadee or Coco Cay? What's your fave?

Which RCCL private isle is your favorite?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which RCCL private isle is your favorite?

• Labadee
    • Coco Cay

I liked Coco Cay but I LOVED Labadee. Labadee is visually a naturally lush and tropical paradise. Coco Cay is a scruffy old island that has been enhanced by RCCL to be very pretty in the area that passengers inhabit but is sort of "blah" everywhere else. Both ports offer about the same as far as food and entertainment but the beauty of Labadee is unsurpassed in my opinion!

I've only been to CocoCay and loved it there.

When I was reading another thread yesterday (sorry I can't remember which one) so many people were complaining about Labadee and how they are hustled and bothered about buying this or that or having someone come up to them to get them a chair for a tip or to watch their things for a tip.

After places like Nassau, I definitely enjoy somewhere where I can literally relax on the beach and not be constantly hounded about something :(

Was this an accurate description of Labadee in your eyes? I would love to know your opinion b/c of the above comments I changed my mind about cruising there so I would be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks! :)

We enjoyed Labadee the best, as we saw far more fish than at Coco Cay. We are not avid snorkelers, but we piddle around at Labadee and Coco Cay. The fish at Labadee seem to be more interesting, colorful, and varied than at Coco Cay.

We always enjoy the stops at both private islands for a relaxing, nice beach day.

When I was reading another thread yesterday (sorry I can't remember which one) so many people were complaining about Labadee and how they are hustled and bothered about buying this or that or having someone come up to them to get them a chair for a tip or to watch their things for a tip.

After places like Nassau, I definitely enjoy somewhere where I can literally relax on the beach and not be constantly hounded about something :(

Was this an accurate description of Labadee in your eyes? I would love to know your opinion b/c of the above comments I changed my mind about cruising there so I would be interested in your thoughts.

Yes I just quoted myself - does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The venders in shoping area are very pushy. Those that get the chairs for you can be that way but DO NOT let this keep you from going to Labadee. I prefer CocoCay but would go to Labadee in a moment's notice. It is absolutely beautiful. I just like the isolation (sp) of CocoCay personally.

Tim

The venders in shoping area are very pushy. Those that get the chairs for you can be that way but DO NOT let this keep you from going to Labadee. I prefer CocoCay but would go to Labadee in a moment's notice. It is absolutely beautiful. I just like the isolation (sp) of CocoCay personally.

Tim

Is there a polite way to avoid these people? I wouldn't want to be rude or anything.

So Labadee isn't as secluded as Cococay? Aren't they both private islands? Is Labadee just more lush?

We have been to Labadee once (2001) and CocoCay a few times. Love CocoCay, but after the reviews I have been reading, I am excited about going back to Labadee next year when we go on the Liberty. Hopefully, we like it as much or more than CocoCay.

So Labadee isn't as secluded as Cococay? Aren't they both private islands? Is Labadee just more lush?

Cococay is actually an island. Labadee is a private beach on Haiti. Labadee is more tropical and there seems to be more space for everyone. There are 3 or 4 separate beach areas at Labadee.

You can definitely relax on the beach and not be hounded by anyone! There are people who bring you your chairs and help you find a place to put them, asking if you want shade or sun. We appreciated the person who got us our 4 chairs and carried them to a great spot. We didn't mind tipping him at all.

The only other time you will be hounded would be self-inflicted ... if you choose to go into the Haitian straw market. I have been to the straw market in Nassau 4 times and it is a cakewalk compared the the one at Labadee. They are very pushy. The vendors don't touch you, but they do step in front of you to block your way and insist that you go into their stall. We couldn't take it and bailed at the first exit we saw.

So don't worry about Labadee - you will have a nice, relaxing time! The only time we were approached the whole time we were there was by the gentlemen who get the lounge chairs.

Maybe that is what has changed since 2001, because we thought there was actually much more space on CocoCay. YOu can be with everyone or walk to the more secluded areas and be pretty much by yourself. It will be interesting to compare the 2 again after we go back to Labadee next year. Dont' think you can really go wrong on either of them!

Just got back from Labadee 13/3 and it was one of the best islands we visited. We did not get harrassed by anyone I actually had to ask one of the guys to get me a chair. We chose not to go to the market so we did not see any locals around. If you go make sure to walk to the opposite end of the island away from the pier less people there and the buffet is right there.

kingsgirl

Avoid the vender area, I do. My wife went there by herself and left frightened. She did not go back there the second time we went to Labadee. As far as those that get you the loungers, the only place I saw them were at the beach just as you get on the island. Go to one of the other beaches.

Tim

I've also never been "harrassed" by vendors at Labadee. One gentleman provided us with lounge chairs and never approached us again the entire day. There are 2 separate markets at Labadee. One is the "scary" one where they will try to get you to buy their goods and are very aggressive about it and the other market has set prices and no haggling...so no "scary" vendors but you can still shop for Haitian goods. We have gone to the market with the set prices and totally enjoyed it. Labadee is one of my favorite ports of all time! I will be back there in 2 weeks and can not wait!

I've only ever been to Labadee, so I guess I would have to vote that to be my favorite! I absolutely loved it there... it was like a sea day but on land. Most of Labadee is run by the shipboard staff and you use your ship card for purchases.

The locals who do work there can be a little pushy from what I hear... especially those in the market. When I was there, I was with a friend and as two girls, we were advised not to go alone. A couple we met on board had offered to go with us, just to have a male figure along in case we felt uncomfortable. We ended up running out of time and didnt get there, but I plan to check it out the next time I'm in Labadee. We didnt run into any issues with pushy locals and never once felt uncomfortable. From what I saw, once you told the guys helping with lounge chairs that you didnt need help, they left you alone.

Labadee is a great spot to just relax off the ship... its absolutely beautiful! And I suggest trying the parasailing excurstions and doing the wave runners... two excellent, fun things to do while you're there!!

Enjoy!

funny, i forgot about the 3 men all trying to get us chairs at once, until you reminded me.:D

If this were something that went on the entire time we were there, then it would be a bother, but after I had my chair, I was never approached again, by anyone wanting $$'s. I loved it. Most relaxing day on the entire cruise. The only little problem the day we were there, was that royal forgot to bring bar service on shore.......for hours....:eek:

Well, we weren't crazy about either one but if the ship docked there, we would probably go for a quick visit.

The buffet lunch (same on both) left a lot to be desired and the vendors in Labadee were way too pushy.

Overall, both were just OK but if it's your first time, do it either way. It's not great, but not bad either..it IS a nice day to chill out on the beach.!!

I was wondering about an adult only area as well. I was just watching a special about DCL and they talked about an adult area on Castaway Key. Would be nice if they had the same on Labadee.

Archived