Staying in Cayman for a Week June 4, 07

Swissfred

I visit Cruise Critic regularly, but do not post much. I'm hoping to finally contribute to this forum soon. Look at my join date, not my post numbers. I can't be a "newbie", "troll", "cheerleader", or "local business person". I just want to contribute. Yes, I read the posts often enough to post this disclaimer. Sorry for the editorial!

On June 4, 2007, we will be staying for one week at Treasure Island Condominium on Grand Cayman (on southern end of 7 Mile Beach) with our 18 year old daughter, her friend, and another family with their 18 year old daughter. When we return, I will post as much info as possible for those who will be visiting soon thereafter. Because this trip is to be very mellow, we have absolutely nothing planned except for gourmet meals (the other dad also enjoys cooking) and keeping a journal for Cruise Critic.....if the rum doesn't get in the way! We've done Stingray City, which is great, but it has been discussed plenty here.

To help you determine if our demographic make-up pertains to you, the following describes me (us):

I'm 44 years old and have been on 10 cruises since 1984 (1 with 2 roommates and 9 with wife). I've been to Cayman Islands two or three times via cruise. We love cruising, but also spend much time camping, boating, or going to Maui, HI. We enjoy water sports, hiking, sightseeing, shopping, people-watching, cooking, and sunbathing. Oops....the earlier rum comment gave away our sobriety status!

If you have any questions you would like me to research while we are in Grand Cayman the first week of June, please ask. If not, I will post a review when we return.

Fred

Very niice of you to offer Fred. What made you decide to stay land locked instead of cruise again? I enjoyed Cayman but don't know if I liked it enough to stay a week. I will be there week of April 22. I've also done the sting ray already so am keeping my options open this trip.

Enjoy your trip and as a mother of a 17 yr old daughter - BEST OF LUCK... ;)

Bailey,

Sorry for the slow response....returned today from camping at Half Moon Bay, just south of San Francisco.

The main reason for not cruising this year is that the cruising atmosphere never changes regardless of the cruise line used. Again, we enjoy cruising, but we like to change things up. We can pack much lighter and enjoy each other's company (our travelling companion friends) much more without the feeling that we are missing a show, event, etc. As I said earlier, our families enjoy hanging out together cooking gourmet meals.

Because Grand Cayman is one of the safer places in the Caribbean (and we were able to get a better air/condo deal than Maui), this made sense. This will give our daughters a little more freedom and us a little more peace of mind. We realize that the Island is small and we will not be doing much sightseeing; but snorkeling everyday, eating well, and talking to many cruise passengers that wish they could stay will give us enough satisfaction.

If the trip was just me, my wife, and our daughter, I don't think we would stay for a week.

Hope this helps,

Fred

That's so nice of you to offer to answer questions! It's unfortunate that you had to post that little disclaimer. But I know how things around here can get :D

Just wanted to say have a good time! I've never cruised OR been to Grand Cayman, but if we enjoy it on our cruise, my boyfriend and I are already thinking about a land vacation there. It just seems so beautiful!

Keep in touch and let us know how everything goes!

Fred,

You will love GC for a week. We too had been to CG on prior cruises, and then went there on a land vacation for five days a few years ago. It is a very nice and relaxing place to spend time. Spend at least one day exploring the island in a rental car. Go to the east end of the island and to Rum Point.

BTW, we have a lot in common with you, because we enjoy doing all the same things you do.

Jim

Archived