Luggage

cruisebound2007

I was reading that we check in with a credit card and they put a hold on the account to pay for certain items. How much of it will be held? I am wondering if I will be able to use the same credit card at the ports or if I will need to bring 2 credit cards because of the hold on the ship.

I am a bit concerned about my luggage. First of all that it makes it to my cabin, second - will everything be there and third putting it outside my cabin the night before the cruise is over. Has anyone experienced any problems?

I have never had any problems. If you are concerned about it sitting in the hall, I would suggest getting some TSA approved locks. These can be opened by the TSA personnel at the airport, but would have to be forced open by anyone else. Anyone who might consider stealing is going to go for the easy pickings.

I was reading that we check in with a credit card and they put a hold on the account to pay for certain items. How much of it will be held? I am wondering if I will be able to use the same credit card at the ports or if I will need to bring 2 credit cards because of the hold on the ship.

I would check with the cruise line or your TA on this. I believe it varies by cruise line and length of cruise.

Usually if a bag does not make it to your cabin it is because the tag has come off, in that case it will usually be found in a stack of other luggage with no cabin tags.

Leaving your bags out in the Hall is pretty safe.

The amount that is put on your Credit card has to do with how long the cruise is.

Don't forget, your tips will be taken out on a daily bases off the CC also, unless you have made arrangements to pre pay them before the cruise.

I would suggest getting some TSA approved locks.

I have never heard of these, any idea where they can be purchased? I would really like to purchase some locks as on THREE occasions i have had items stolen out of my suitcase!

Have seen them in Target and WalMart and, of course, in luggage stores. There are two different kinds: keyed and multi-numbered combination styles. We opted for the combination type ... less stuff to lose and/or keep track of. Make sure the locks have a little red logo on them and that the packaging indicates they are TSA-approved. We were lucky to get one free lock with each Samsonite piece we bought a couple of years ago and bought a couple more at the mall luggage shop ... I think a two-pack of locks goes for $10 or less.

I have never heard of these, any idea where they can be purchased? I would really like to purchase some locks as on THREE occasions i have had items stolen out of my suitcase!

Believe it or not, if you go directly to the TSA website (tsa.gov), they have a store that will sell you a 2-pack for $10.95 and shipping is free. This is the best deal I have seen so far, plus they're good locks. Chances are, there won't be any sales tax either. :p

I bought some fluorescent (neon) locks at http://www.safeskieslocks.com/

Very cheap (2 for $10/95) with a lifetime warranty. The airport crew has a key so they don't need to destroy the lock. Nobody else can get in them. If they are destroyed or cut off by airport crew, they replace them for free. Plus helps identify your luggage. How many black suitcases have fluorescent green locks?

Don't forget, your tips will be taken out on a daily bases off the CC also, unless you have made arrangements to pre pay them before the cruise.

I know that RCI and Celebrity don't do it this way. You can opt to have them put on your account or pay them in cash. You will have to check w/ your cruiseline to see how they do it.

There's probably no way to guarantee that your luggage will arrive safe and sound and on time, but it's fairly rare that there's a problem. However, when there's a problem it's a big one. The best insurance against that is to divide your stuff between two suitcases so that you double the chance that at least one of your bags will make it. It's a bit rough to manage for a few days with only half of your stuff, but it's better than trying to replace everything.

I've never heard of anyone losing anything by leaving baggage in the hallway on the last night of the cruise.

The cruise line does not put a "hold" on a credit card. However, it does make a charge against the card as a guarantee that they'll be paid for your charges on the ship, the same way that a hotel takes a credit card imprint as security against room charges on dry land. You can still use the card for other purchases (unless the charge by the ship takes you over your limit).

Be sure to call the credit card company before you sail and let them know when the card will be used outside the US. If you live in Ohio and the card is suddenly being used in the Caribbean, they're likely to treat it as being stolen, and you won't be home to answer their phone call notifying you of this.

We had a new carry on luggage piece and it came with a separate combo lock. I had used it several times to secure my luggage while we were out of our room. (This was not on a cruise). Then one time while my husband was taking a nap I decided to get something out and the lock did not work. It got stuck or broken. I sat on the floor going through the whole combo. 000, 001, 002...100, 101, 102, etc. Finally on one number it worked. I decided to change the number. Needless to say, I threw it out. Thank God it wasn't on the luggage itself, but was an add on kind. The key kind isn't so secure either. My mom has a piece of luggage that is not that new, but newer than the piece I gave my husband as a wedding gift in 1978. Her keys work in his suitcase. Oh, and to answer the question before I got off the subject--we put labels that we made on the outside of the suitcase in case the tags came off. We typed in the name of the ship and the cabin number. That way even on the plane if it got lost, the destination was clear.

-Jo

Archived