Princess versus HAL to Alaska - which is better?

Travelgirl2007

We have reservations on HAL for the July 15, 2007 cruise to Alaska. With kids 9 and 13 (we are in our early 40s) we are worried that HAL will be too sedate with not enough activities.

Which is better for us Princess or HAL?

Cruised last summer to Alaska on Zuiderdam with two teens in our party. They had a great time, spent some time in the teen club and lots of time with the family.

Check out our pics and review at

The Halls cruise to Alaska

Last Sept. we cruised to Alaska on the Zaandam.(our first w/hal). I loved it! Our two sons 19 and 22 were also with us and it may have been a little too slow paced for them although they still enjoyed themselves. I thought that the service was the very best that we have ever had at sea. Everything else rated up there with our Princess cruises some things even better. I do admit that I did miss the personal chice dining that Princess offers though.

I did an Alaska cruise on HAL when I was 13--I enjoyed myself (as much as a teenager on vacation with parents will admit to enjoying herself:p ) We tried to book a HAL cruise this summer but balconies were sold out on the cruises we want so we're on Princess. But Pacific Princess, so no "anytime" dining that Princess passengers seem to enjoy (doesn't bother me, I liked the traditional HAL dining set-up--I'm a pretty staid 33-yr old :rolleyes: ) Unless there's a hugely compelling reason for you to change your plans (price, itinerary) I'd go ahead and stay on HAL.

Have cruised on Star Princess and Ryndam to Alaska. Absolutely no question what so ever, preferred the whole Princess experience much more than Holland America. We chose the Ryndam due to itenerary and the smaller size of ship for some people travelling with us. The size of ship may have made the difference to me because I am used to having lots of activities at night to choose from which really weren't available. Only cruise where I spent more time on the balcony at night than any cruise simply due to lack of activities. However, the food was about the same. Had horrible waiter but great window table so it was worth keeping. Holland charges 2-3 dollars each night for shrimp cocktail if it is not on the menu. I have one every night on Princess and every other cruise line I have been on including RCI and Disney for free. The crew is also just different. I much prefer Princess over Holland. Maybe when I am in 70-80's I would enjoy the slower pace of Holland. Rooms were equivalent. Smaller tender boats on Holland.

Archived