4nt CCL Sensation-Will kids want to leave ship?

mommyof4girls

I am so excited! We just booked a 4nt Carnival Sensation Cruise to Bahamas in May. My DDs (ages 2,4,6,8) are very excited for Camp Carnival. DH and I are glad b/c we (me really-SAHM) are in need of some couple time. My main question is b/c the cruise is so short, should we plan on all the hassle of shore excursions for our family of 6 or take advantage of the low crowds at the pool and other areas of the ship? I have a feeling that my oldest 2 DDs will want to be in Camp Carnival a lot of the time and don't know if it is worth the effort and $$$$ for shore excursions on such a short cruise. There is nothing that DH and I have to see on the two stops on this itinerary.

Any experiences and/or feedback would be appreciated! This will be our first cruise if you can't tell by my questions. LOL! :)

We just did a 4-day with our kids 4,7,12. We chose to leave the ship for the first stop and stay on for the second to take advantage of pool/jacuzzis and light crowd. The kids went to camp in the morning, but then we had lunch together and played mini-golf, shuffleboard and swam in the afternoon.

The next day was our 'fun day at sea' and the only day of full sun, so it was mobbed on deck. We were really glad we took that extra day on board to chill out and play when we had the place to ourself. The kids loved camp and bopping around the ship so they were very happy with the decision too.

Have fun!

I went on Elation (same itinerary right, Nassau and Freeport) in December. I booked Sensation for August...same itinerary again.

This is what I have learned. We LOVE Atlantis so I booked a room at Atlantis overnight, just to use the facilities during the day. On the cruise excursions, they do not allow you to use the water slides and that's the whole point of Atlantis, isn't it? So I book a room directly with them. They have promos going on, so you can get it cheaper than listed online or you could book the comfort inn next door and use the facilities at Atlantis.

www.Atlantis.com

CC is closed down at odd hours, so it's not like the kids will want to spend all day at the camp, they can't.

If you don't want to do Atlantis, you can take the kids to the beach just by paying a $3 water taxi (each way)...you can't get a cheaper excursion than that ;) . I have been looking up good family beaches and I have given info to my group about Cabbage Beach (Nassau) and Our Lucaya Resort (Freeport).

If your 2 year old isn't potty trained, then you can't "take advantage of the pools" while the rest of the kids are swimming away (no swim diapers in the pools). And that would be a tough argument to have with a 2 year old.

Whatever you decide, you will have a blast! :D

Thanks for the input! I did look into Atlantis & Comfort Inn but b/c we are a family of 6 we would need to get 2 rooms and that would cost over $700 for Atlantis and over $400 at Comfort Inn when you include the taxes. I am not a cheap-skate but that is a lot (even more than WDW! LOL) for a couple of hours at a waterpark. I will look into the beaches you mentioned though. I am hoping that when we are in port and many people are off the ship that it will be an ideal family-time day with lower crowds. I am sure we will have a fabulous time no matter what we do! Thanks again.

Thanks for the input! I did look into Atlantis & Comfort Inn but b/c we are a family of 6 we would need to get 2 rooms and that would cost over $700 for Atlantis and over $400 at Comfort Inn when you include the taxes. I am not a cheap-skate but that is a lot (even more than WDW! LOL) for a couple of hours at a waterpark. I will look into the beaches you mentioned though. I am hoping that when we are in port and many people are off the ship that it will be an ideal family-time day with lower crowds. I am sure we will have a fabulous time no matter what we do! Thanks again.

You are absolutely right. I was forgetting that you would need to book 2 rooms. That cost is unreasonable.

This is the info I got from the Port Boards when I asked the question of the beaches

Nassau

Water taxi ($3 pp each way) to Paradise Island, then a short walk to cabbage beach.

Cabbage Beach

cabbagebeach.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Freeport

The cheapest is to take a taxi from the port to the Our Lucaya Resort (Sheraton/Westin) and enjoy the beach behind the hotels. The beaches are public and there are walkways between the hotels to get you to the beach. A shared-taxi is $5/per person each way (shuttle taxi holds up to 8 people). You have unofficial use of the hotel restaurants, snack bars, gift shop, etc. And the Port Lucaya Marketplace (shops/restaurants) is just across the street.

ourlucaya.jpg

I have taken that itinerary twice, once on the Fantasy, and the last on the Sensation. My family had an outstanding time, especially on the Sensation. It was my parents, myself, and my 9 year old son. I would also recommend taking the taxi to the Lucaya Marketplace and swim at the beach there. It is beautiful, and very easy to do; lots of fun for the family.

For Nassau, we walked around a bit, but got tired of the crowds and went back to the ship early ( a little before noon). My son was one of only two children in the pool, and only a few scattered people around the deck. The hot tubs were empty. We decided that the next time we go to Nassau, we will treat it as a sea day and enjoy the pools, peace, and quiet. :)

Enjoy your cruise!!

Archived