Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

I don't really get "upset" about attire. I have just always complied when an event or an invite says "formal attire", "business casual attire". I never question it, its stated for a reason and I can comply or not comply. If I choose to not comply I just find something else to do. It does not occur to me to go to the event and disregard what the invite requests in tersm of dress...thats just me.

Give that man a Sea-gar.

We cruise next week and on the first formal dinner, I'll be wearing a suit as my wife wants a family picture with our daughters. The second formal evening, I'll have slacks, button up and a tie.

brneymom...do ot take all this formal bit too seriously you will see every type of dress...my 75 year old hubby wears suit and silk t-shirt......takes off his jacket when we sit down...he hates ties so about 5 years ago I tossed them, he is happy, I am happy and no one has ever given him a hard time. Dress in specialty restaurants is not formal. Have fun.

Big Duck - You will look underdressed, no if, ands or buts.

Underdressed? Not that I care but I think I will be the norm. How many people do you really think wears a tux on the ship?? More people wear a suit/slacks with jacket than a tux. Sorry to break it to you. But like I said if you worry about yourself you'll be fine.

I will be following Carnivals "RULES" about "FORMAL" (Their definition of it) wear in the dining room.

brneymom...do ot take all this formal bit too seriously you will see every type of dress...my 75 year old hubby wears suit and silk t-shirt......takes off his jacket when we sit down...he hates ties so about 5 years ago I tossed them, he is happy, I am happy and no one has ever given him a hard time. Dress in specialty restaurants is not formal. Have fun.

But, if the event is supposed to be formal, why not comply and go formal?

Big Duck - You will look underdressed, no if, ands or buts.

Underdressed? Not that I care but I think I will be the norm. How many people do you really think wears a tux on the ship?? More people wear a suit/slacks with jacket than a tux. Sorry to break it to you. But like I said if you worry about yourself you'll be fine.

I will be following Carnivals "RULES" about "FORMAL" (Their definition of it) wear in the dining room.

No need to wear a tux; but no tie and maybe a jacket is less then Carnival's definition.

I stand by my statement.

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. I do not know any of you so i do not appreciate the comments that were left. I was asking a question. If it was unacceptable then why is it an option on carnival's site? For one we will not be mismatched because his clothes will match my dress. And it will look nice. Thanks but no thanks....

Don't ask if you don't want to listen. If you are wearing a full-length gown and your DH wears less than a dark suit, you will be a mismatched couple as far as attire goes. If you both are fine with that, he can "get by" with much less. I just fail to understand why one would want to get by with as little as possible.

...on formal nights, specialty restaurants apply the formal dress code...

I realize it's not technically "formal", but it fits Carnival's definition, so what about khaki pants, dress shirt and tie, and a navy sport coat? I'm a little concerned that khaki pants really aren't formal at all (to me, formal = dark, whether that's true, I don't know, that's my perception). I already own all this stuff and do not want to have to buy something else. And yes, I plan on wearing the same thing for both formal nights :o

I realize it's not technically "formal", but it fits Carnival's definition, so what about khaki pants, dress shirt and tie, and a navy sport coat? I'm a little concerned that khaki pants really aren't formal at all (to me, formal = dark, whether that's true, I don't know, that's my perception). I already own all this stuff and do not want to have to buy something else. And yes, I plan on wearing the same thing for both formal nights :o

thumbsup.gif

When I read all these post about "Formal" night I have to laugh. Some of you get soooo freaking upset that people do not wear tuxes. I have an idea for you...worry about yourself. Your not the fashion police don't you know.

Yes the OP asked a question, give your answer and move on. You sound like whoever does not wear a Tux is a...bum. If wearing a tux makes you feel good about yourself, then put that puppy on and have fun.

I wore a tux the last 2 cruises i have been on because I chose to. I may have been the only one with a tux on my last cruise. I could have wore slacks and a sport coat, or just slacks and a buttom up. You know why I could have wore that....because Carnival said I can.

I will be cruising in 30 days on the Liberty. I will be wearing black slacks, a buttom up with no Tie (OH MY GOD!!!!!) and maybe a jacket!!! If you see me come and tell me how I look.

my husband would definitely agree with you. he will be wearing a nice pr of dress pants made from wrangler like i said ealier and he loves the color black so he will wear an all out black dress shirt to go with the dress pants but no tie and no jacket. He doesnt even wear that stuff to funerals,weddings or even Church he says if they dont like me for the way i dress then they can leave me alone.

i agreee this bickering back and forth about proper attrie is driving us all crazy its your vacation wear what you would when you go away for your family summer vacation to the shore or mts.

What would you wear at home in your everyday life if your were invited to a formal event?????? It really is simple!

BRAVO and to add to the not only are they fun to wear, but the perks can be how shall we say....MAGNIFICENT.:D I've always been of the mind "if you look good, you feel good."

There's a man who understand the power of the tux :D

This is exactly why I was so thrilled last night when DH said, "You'll have to tell me what you want me to wear for formal night." Seeing him in a really nice suit/tux .... all I can say is "OOOH Baby!!"

Shoot, if the thing is fitted right it feels very comfy. I guess I don't understand why folks just don't follow the recommended protocols. I read about smuggling, not following the suggested dress codes, etc. ARe the rules of the ship and the suggested dress that hard to comply with? Is it that unreasonable? Man, if they want you to wear a jacket and tie, just wear a jacket and tie.

Why is that so difficult?

The definition of formal allows for each culture to have its own type of formal. There are two types of traditional formal for men Black Tie and white tie. Black Tie incorporates vest a bowtie and a pique front shirt white tie accomidates a dinner jacket and formal trousers. Lets Do some reasearch before we lay the smackdown on what your own ""definition" of formal is.

Carnival has clearly stated what it's definition is for formal night. It's their formal night and THEIR definition. Tux, suit or Sport coat/blazer with a tie.

It really doesn't matter what formal is in Anchorage, Boston, Miami or Houston. Clearly, the military mess dress is considered very formal and equal to a tux.

Carnival has clearly stated what it's definition is for formal night. It's their formal night and THEIR definition. Tux, suit or Sport coat/blazer with a tie.

It really doesn't matter what formal is in Anchorage, Boston, Miami or Houston. Clearly, the military mess dress is considered very formal and equal to a tux.

oh no.. im not disagreeing with carnival, i like their defintion, im disagreeing with people who think only a tuxe is formal. Shoot im wearing a calvin clien shirt with wranler dress pants and a american eagle sport coat. I love carnivals definition.

<<<I have bought mine at JC Penney's for $99, a really nice looking tux>>>

yeah, I'm sure it's really nice.

I'd rather have the guy who wears the decent clothes who looks nice and is just enjoying himself rather the puffed up cheapo, who believes he now looks better than everyone else, sitting at my table.

puffed up cheapo, who believes he now looks better than everyone else, sitting at my table.

Mary, are you making a negative statement about people that dress appropriately? Are you saying that all those that choose to dress as expected are snobs? Bad dinner companions? Less human? What does your statement say about those that are so discourteous to dress down? What does your post say about you?

The definition of formal allows for each culture to have its own type of formal. There are two types of traditional formal for men Black Tie and white tie. Black Tie incorporates vest a bowtie and a pique front shirt white tie accomidates a dinner jacket and formal trousers. Lets Do some reasearch before we lay the smackdown on what your own ""definition" of formal is.

Black Tie

A Black Tie invitation calls for formal attire. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

White Tie

A White Tie or Ultra-formal invitation requires men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

More about dressing up

he will be wearing a nice pr of dress pants made from wrangler like i said ealier and he loves the color black so he will wear an all out black dress shirt to go with the dress pants but no tie and no jacket. He doesnt even wear that stuff to funerals,weddings or even Church he says if they dont like me for the way i dress then they can leave me alone..

It is not a Funeral, wedding or church, it is a "formal" and there is a dress code and it is "required" per Carnival rules.

I think the big problem with the bickering is that fact that some people just don't think the rules apply to them.

After reading many Formal threads, I have seen people say, Formal is a special night and when you see people that just don't care what they look like, somehow it just takes the special out of the night.

(not my words, just a combo of others)

1st and most important.... Once I get onboard, I don't care what anyone else wears - I don't anyone ruin my vacation.

That being said, we're not on a cruise right now, we're on a public discussion board, so I do give my opinion here:eek: .

I've always found most people abide by the dress code - Even on our last weekend cruise on the Paradise (that surprised me).

or those who are sooooo proud of not dressing appropriately... Have fun! you will look out of place, not me.

I'll never understand why people will try to justify not following the rules on a cruise vacation they choose.

yeah, I'm sure it's really nice.

I'd rather have the guy who wears the decent clothes who looks nice and is just enjoying himself rather the puffed up cheapo, who believes he now looks better than everyone else, sitting at my table.

So because this fellow bought a tux that looks nice for $99, you deduct that he thinks that he looks better than everyone else? I prefer my evening to be around folks that are not judgemental and it appears that throws you out of the pic.

<Mary, are you making a negative statement about people that dress appropriately?>

Not at all. We dress for what the evening is. Carnival to me, is NOT a black tie affair. It's formal in the code of carnival formal. My husband does not take along a tux to cruise, nor do I wear a ballgown. Those are reserved for true formal events that we do occasionally attend.

<Are you saying that all those that choose to dress as expected are snobs?>

Nope. see above

<Bad dinner companions? Less human? >

Not at all. See above

<What does your statement say about those that are so discourteous to dress down? >

See above. Carnival allows a leeway of dress. I'm not the fashion police.

<What does your post say about you>

ahh, the important question. What it says about me is that I enjoy being around people who are comfortable with themselves. I do not enjoy being around people who think because they bought cheap clothing that it makes them "better" than others because it's their perception that they are adhering to a dress code that does not state you need to wear a tux.

I find it quite laughable that someone feels because they are wearing a tux others are "ruining" their dining "experience".....

In other words, it's attitude not what you wear. And personally, I will bet my bottom dollar that the guy in the $99 tux comes off with the attitude that he is better than the guy wearing dress pants and a nice shirt.

Attitude is the reason. I don't want to sit with some guy who exhibits uncouth behavior by pointing out people who are not dressed to his expectation and thus "ruining his evening". Because that would ruin mine.

If something as shallow as what others are wearing disrupts your vacation, then quite honestly, then I feel sorry for you.

You obviously need to search your life for more meaning.

Me, I'll take the guy who is funny and polite and enjoying himself regardless of what he is wearing to dinner. :D

Archived