Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

ahh, the important question. What it says about me is that I enjoy being around people who are comfortable with themselves. I do not enjoy being around people who think because they bought cheap clothing that it makes them "better" than others because it's their perception that they are adhering to a dress code that does not state you need to wear a tux.

I find it quite laughable that someone feels because they are wearing a tux others are "ruining" their dining "experience".....

In other words, it's attitude not what you wear. And personally, I will bet my bottom dollar that the guy in the $99 tux comes off with the attitude that he is better than the guy wearing dress pants and a nice shirt.

Attitude is the reason. I don't want to sit with some guy who exhibits uncouth behavior by pointing out people who are not dressed to his expectation and thus "ruining his evening". Because that would ruin mine.

If something as shallow as what others are wearing disrupts your vacation, then quite honestly, then I feel sorry for you.

You obviously need to search your life for more meaning.

Me, I'll take the guy who is funny and polite and enjoying himself regardless of what he is wearing to dinner. :D

The other poster stated he found a cheap tux, not that he was better then anyone else. If anyone is being judgemental .... :rolleyes:

Just my two cents...

Formal night should be kept formal. If you don't like it, enjoy the buffet or perhaps some room service.

I love the opportunity to get dressed up and find my husband super sexy when he is dressed to kill. (However - I do realize it is not for everybody)

There is a time and place for casual. Formal night is not it. Formal by definition never equals casual.

Arguing dress code is ridiculous. Either you get it, or you don't. After reading these postings, there are clearly loads of folks who don't.:eek:

And personally, I will bet my bottom dollar that the guy in the $99 tux comes off with the attitude that he is better than the guy wearing dress pants and a nice shirt.

Mary, you obviously have a very different opinion for those that follow the dress code and those that ignore the rules.

<Mary, you obviously have a very different opinion for those that follow the dress code and those that ignore the rules.>

I suppose I do. It doesn't matter to me what you wear :D I don't look around the dining room to see what other people are wearing. I just figure, that is the maitre'd's job. When carnival sends me a paycheck to be the fashion police then I'm sure I'll be up to the task:p

Well, as always, it's to each there own.

If they let you sit down and eat without wearing a coat, suit, tux or G-string then I guess it's acceptable.

I'm with your DH, I don't like wearing sport coats, suits, and definately not tux's. If that makes me a "country bumkin" aw shux I recon I am one.;)

In the end, of course, it won't be Carnival or anyone else's opinion that matters. It will be my DW. If she insists on a suit, I'll wear a freakin suit. If she says at least a sport coat, I'll go buy a sport coat. If she leaves it up to me, then I won't be the best dressed there, but I'll still have more fun than most.

I'm sure Carnival has a million different guidelines and nobody follows all of them. Just have a good time and enjoy it.

People who say, they don't care what other people wear and don't notice, are lying, everyone looks around the room and watches people walk along the promanade on formal night.

I hear people talking about what other people are wearing.

People that say they don't notice are just trying to justify what they are wearing themselves.

Just my personal observations.

People who say, they don't care what other people wear and don't notice, are lying, everyone looks around the room and watches people walk along the promanade on formal night.

I hear people talking about what other people are wearing.

People that say they don't notice are just trying to justify what they are wearing themselves.

Just my personal observations.

Hit the proverbial nail on the head.

Of course people notice. It's just plain human nature. And yes, most will form an opinion.
I may form an opinion based on what someone is wearing, but I wouldn't let it ruin my night. I have seen people write that and I just don't understand that :confused:

Formal night threads are always fun, aren't they? :p

On our last cruise, my father and my 9 year old son dressed similarly in long-sleeved, crisp white dress shirts with ties, black dress pants and black dress shoes. My mother and I wore black cocktail dresses. Of those who were dressed up that night, we fit right in - we only saw a couple tuxes and ball gowns. However, there were many, many people who were less dressed up than we were - mostly church clothes, casual dresses, and sun dresses. We did not see anyone turned away from the dining room.

I suppose to fully conform with the rules, the men should have worn coats. My father could have, but decided against it, as we had a booth table so no chair to hang it off of and he did not wish to wear it while eating. However, both of "our men" looked quite splendid as they were, and we were complimented more than once by multiple Carnival employees. We definitely didn't attract any stares; I would say those were reserved for all the ladies in denim skirts and brightly colored sun dresses. :o We felt pretty comfortable with what we wore; we would not wear anything less dressy than that for formal night.

I'm really annoyed w/ myself for just reading 5 pages of this crap. I guess I didn't learn anything other than when it comes to dress code some people are a bunch of judgemental busy bodies. I've gotten a lot of very useful info on this site, but after reading this I'm just annoyed. And Mrs. Brneyemomma, if you and your husband are having a good time, fabulous. If someone lets it ruin their evening because your husbands not wearing a sportscoat (er- jacket/suit, whatever), I guess you'll never know.

People will most certainly be judgemental, particularly when they are following the dress code and the "county bumpkins" don't give a damn. If they say that they are comfortable, their DH "looked splendid in his cowboy outfit", and people aren't looking at them or judging them, they are dillusional (which is why they do not wish to conform....typical of society)

They ain't gonna ruin my evening, but I have every right to judge them, and consider them what I will.

Now, get with it or go to the Buffet for dinner!

Fifty years ago back during the 1950, a man or woman would have to wear a hat. Without the hat neither are gentlemen or ladies. Hats have faded away.

So many get on a high horse, yet do not wear a hat. Shame on you!

No gentleman would wear a hat in a dining room. :rolleyes:

My wife and I love to get dressed up.

RousterBlues is right... to each their own.

But I will be the first to say that you can bet your bottom dollar someone WILL complain that you aren't dressed correctly. Some people love to complain.

You don't have to bring anything on the cruise you don't want to. How about rent a tux/bring a suit and have a nice picture taken with your wife? Do something nice for her. Maybe thats why my wife and I are still on our honeymoon two years later... I think about her before myself.

As to the snob factor...

Do I look down my nose at people don't get dressed correctly? No, but I do get upset when they are let into the dining room (just being honest). The rules apply to everyone, and if you don't want to get dressed up then you don't have to, but leave formal night for the formal people.

There have been nights on cruises where I "didn't feel like" getting dressed up, so we went to the buffet (even on a formal night). Thats what you do when you don't want to get dressed up... you make other arrangements.

I don't think people who own tuxes are any better than people who don't own a suit at all. Quality of character is what matters to me. I live in the south (the part where people still think the South shall rise again) and see people with everything from Brooks Brothers and Hugo Boss suits, to Larry the Cable Guy tshirts... within the same block at times. <VBG>

I know a few kun-tree bumpkins who are the best people in the world, as well as a few Brooks Brothers jerks.... economics don't determine who you are. You (and your actions) are the only one who can let the world know about the quality of person you are.

In retrospect, not following the rules doesn't say something about you... it says you don't care about those of us who DO follow the rules.

I am quite sure I offended someone with this post and I am sorry, but it IS my opinion.

In retrospect, not following the rules doesn't say something about you... it says you don't care about those of us who DO follow the rules.

I am quite sure I offended someone with this post and I am sorry, but it IS my opinion.

"The rules" are not really defined as well as you think, that is part of the problem, a ton of literature that cruisers get say "suggested"... based on that, there is no "rules" violation.

If you have any dissatisfaction with the compliance of the rules, please aim them directly at those who are to blame - Carnival and their staff. A good Maitre'D who enforces the rules does not exist, but they to are a victim of Welcome Aboard pamphlets and PVPs that are not clear on the "rules".

To me a suggestion is a dramatic difference from a rule.

Why yes...yes I do :D ;)

I don't understand how folks can think slacks, shirt/tie w/or w/o a jacket is anything CLOSE to formal. It boggles the mind.

Honey, you should definitely post your tux pic to prove you got the power. :D

Duck, your kilt photo proves the same. :D :D

Show the casual guys what turns a woman into jelly, Boys!!!

"The rules" are not really defined as well as you think, that is part of the problem, a ton of literature that cruisers get say "suggested"... based on that, there is no "rules" violation.

If you have any dissatisfaction with the compliance of the rules, please aim them directly at those who are to blame - Carnival and their staff. A good Maitre'D who enforces the rules does not exist, but they to are a victim of Welcome Aboard pamphlets and PVPs that are not clear on the "rules".

To me a suggestion is a dramatic difference from a rule.

Well a quick trip to the CCL website gave me...

<<< Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit;

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. >>>

Seems pretty self explanatory to me...

And just to add to it... I just called CCL at their 888 number and asked the person I got if I could wear a polo shirt and kahkis to formal night.

Her reply was, "I am afarid you would not be able to dine in either the supper club nor the main dining rooms on your two formal nights." Carnival has to enforce the rules listed on the website and has started turning a few people away. If you don't wish to dress up, there are many options open for dinner on formal nights, and we always have cruisers who don't like formal dress so thats why those options are available."

I then called my PVP... who asked why I wanted to know the policy since I have been on more than enough cruises... but I pressed that I wanted to know the official policy.

He went onto the company website for Policies and procedures and red me almost verbatim from the website and it even went so far as to say the final decision as to what is appropriate is at the discretion of the hotel manager on board. (So I guess the matrie'd isn't the final word... probably most people just give up at that point) He told me he was on a cruise two months ago out of FLL and that a couple tried to come into the Supper Club on formal night wearing a polo with shorts and were sent packing to the Lido Deck.

< And personally, I will bet my bottom dollar that the guy in the $99 tux comes off with the attitude that he is better than the guy wearing dress pants and a nice shirt.

:D

Mary, the very thing you are griping about you are doing. You are a hypocrite. This guy made a statment that he found anice looking tux for $99.00. Thats all he said. You do not want people in the dining room being judged and look what you are doing here.

This is the most judegemental comments I have read regarding formal attire.

Mary, the very thing you are griping about you are doing. You are a hypocrite. This guy made a statment that he found anice looking tux for $99.00. Thats all he said. You do not want people in the dining room being judged and look what you are doing here.

This is the most judegemental comments I have read regarding formal attire.

Right on! BTW, I am quite certain that Mary won't be back on this thread. The answer she so desperately wanted didn't come back the way she expected. Too bad. So sad.

CwuzCwazy - Coudn't agree with you more!:)

This is especially for MaryZ:

You obviously don't have a clue...the statements you have made are ridiculous and show that you don't understand what you read. I'll not disparage you any further, you did that on your own.

You don't know a thing about me, and by the way, you would have lost your bottom dollar......., it's not about being better than anyone, it's about abiding by the code........you may not understand that.

I happen to wear a tux because my wife loves the formal nights and what they offer in terms of the opportunity to "dress to the nines". If she's happy, everyoner is happy as the saying goes. Truth be known, I would rather not wear one, but if I did not choose to abide by the dress code, I would not show up at the dining room. That's what class is all about!

Originally Posted by MaryZ

< And personally, I will bet my bottom dollar that the guy in the $99 tux comes off with the attitude that he is better than the guy wearing dress pants and a nice shirt. "

No Mary, not better, because I may not know the individual, but certainly classier......I abide by the code!

Ok.. Honestly if all of you are just going to be negative then I really don't want to hear it. I do not know any of you so i do not appreciate the comments that were left. I was asking a question. If it was unacceptable then why is it an option on carnival's site? For one we will not be mismatched because his clothes will match my dress. And it will look nice. Thanks but no thanks....

YOU'RE the one that asked the original question. If you didn't want peoples' opinions, then WHY DID YOU ASK?

Archived