Formal Wear???

brneyemomma

I feel whatever works for your hubby. We were on a cruise a few weeks ago and there were men in slacks and nice shirts. They looked good. This is your vacation. If you don't want to wear a tux or gown, you don't have to. I know it is formal night, but wear what you like. You will only have it on for a couple of hours anyway.

By the way, there were people with jeans on in the dining room on formal night. As we entered the dining room they were greeted too without any problems.

Maybe they lost their luggage? Otherwise, the Maitre D' wasn't doing his job. ;)

Any chance of making this a poll somehow??? I'm seriously eyeing this full-length satin strapless gown for our June Miracle cruise but I don't want to be the oddball if most women are just wearing regular dresses. Hubby will be wearing his black suit and I bought my three boys (10, 14, and 17) suits as well. Who knows when we'll have another chance for this kind of family portrait?

Should I forgo the full-length?

Any chance of making this a poll somehow??? I'm seriously eyeing this full-length satin strapless gown for our June Miracle cruise but I don't want to be the oddball if most women are just wearing regular dresses. Hubby will be wearing his black suit and I bought my three boys (10, 14, and 17) suits as well. Who knows when we'll have another chance for this kind of family portrait?

Does it go well with your mens' suits, that is all you need to ask yourself.

Go for it! I've seen many women, including myself, dressed in full length formal gowns on all my cruises. I wish I could do the strapless thing! You'll have a ball and feel like a princess. :)

Man I cant wait to break out my tux for the Fascination cruise on May 7. I havent got to wear it in a couple years and think its a great opportunity.

Im glad there is a formal night.

That means I can buy my wife a new formal gown.

What could possibly be cooler than dancing on the deck of a ship in a tux and your wife in a formal gown?

You can buy a decent tux for just a little over what you pay to rent one. There is no excuse for a man not to wear a tux on formal night.;)

We will break out the money to pay for a cruise and shore excursions and not pay out to own a tux?

Thats just silly.

Im a first time cruiser and I figured that out.

Im just thinking of all the miles my tux will get on the cruises I plan to go on.

And then I'll have to buy a new one.

Looking forward to that as well.

And no Im not rich I just believe in smart investments.;)

Blessings

Tim:cool:

I am sorry Drums but YOUR post defies logic....there is very good "excuse" for a guy to NOT wear a Tux.....there is no rule to wear a tux...in fact tuxes were in the minority on the Imagination

I can understand people wanting others to dress up and "respect' the so called "formal" night, but your post is simply laughable

Just because YOU look forward to wearing a tux does not mean other men do, so that can be their "excuse". Your desire to buy your wife a formal "gown" may not be their desire..or their wife's desire

THAT is just silly

as for the people whinging on and on here about "people will talk">..don't you get the idea that people who don't dress up or who flaunt the rules don't care what you say about them, and will probably never see you again so why should they??? Most of the cruisers...maybe ? 98% never heard of this site...so they don't even know of these raging debates LOL

I DO understand that some of you really want others to dress up...and I intend to dress up and always have...but you muddle everything when you take a stance that is so against Carnivals own loosely enforeced and ever shifting "rules".....

Carnival does not require a tux...it is totally OPTIONAL....

maybe you could have nicely suggested to the OP that her hubby can wear a sports coat to dinner and take it off while eating....that would be a nice compromise

Instead we have people praising tuxes...when that is a moot point. There is NO rule to wear a tux...and there will never be one...especially as it seems to be going more and more "casual"

so ...no need to wear a tux....read what Carnival has as it's (loosely enforced) guideline

There was a poll awhile back and the overwhelming majority wore siuts & gowns & coctail dresses.

By the way, there were people with jeans on in the dining room on formal night. As we entered the dining room they were greeted too without any problems.

But on my last cruise, the Maidre'd was turning away people in jeans on formal night, saying is was not part of the Required formal night attire.

So it is better to be safe and wear what Carnival requires, unless you don't mind eating at the buffet on formal night, which is exactly where the Maidre'd was telling them they would be more comfortable at.

He was also inforcing the dress code rule all week.

But on my last cruise, the Maidre'd was turning away people in jeans on formal night, saying is was not part of the Required formal night attire.

So it is better to be safe and wear what Carnival requires, unless you don't mind eating at the buffet on formal night, which is exactly where the Maidre'd was telling them they would be more comfortable at.

He was also inforcing the dress code rule all week.

I agree that the lack of uniform "enforcement" on MANY so called "rules" or "suggestions" is what often leads to frustration

I really wish that the cruiselines would have more clear cut rules and follow them...it would make everything more simple

however, the dress code does not mandate a tux which is why I feel that some of these posts are ridiculous...the fact that some people "enjoy" seeing tuxes on others does not mean that anyone has to wear them or that they would be out of place.

I don't think that we will see the dress code get more "formal">>>> I think they might want to "enforce" the minimum of a sports coat...or they may simply lower that to just a shirt and tie and then at least enforce that and turn away tee shirts and polo shirts....IMHO

The truth of the matter is that people get upset with other cruisers when often it is the wishy washy uneven policies of the cruiselines themselves...

don't forget the Matre d's do want "tips" also....so they have a "horse" in this race so to speak <grin>

Sharecruises:

Where in this entire thread did anyone say a Tux is required??????? Quit ranting until you comprehend what you read. Indeed, your post was quite laughable to me.

You, like many others in this thread misunderstand the issue....which is: There is a dress code for formal night and it's quite liberal as far as formal wear is concerned. There are those who defy that code, because it seems the code doesn't apply to them....they "want to be comfortasble at dinner" Those are the Yahoos everyone is talking about.

..nor should we have to look toward a cruise line as to what formal means. :confused:

The word F O R M A L should be sufficient for anyone that can read.

Enforcement shouldn't be required with civilized and educated people.

At least some of us GET IT!

I am sorry Drums but YOUR post defies logic....

No it doesn't he was talking about himself and his own feelings on the matter, he wasn't talking down to anybody.

If he wants to buy a tux so what?

Someones being a little oversensitive I think.

The word F O R M A L should be sufficient for anyone that can read.

Enforcement shouldn't be required with civilized and educated people.

Well yes, you're right. But you're making a big assumption with "civilized and educated".

Well a quick trip to the CCL website gave me...

<<< Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit;

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. >>>

Seems pretty self explanatory to me...

And just to add to it... I just called CCL at their 888 number and asked the person I got if I could wear a polo shirt and kahkis to formal night.

Her reply was, "I am afarid you would not be able to dine in either the supper club nor the main dining rooms on your two formal nights." Carnival has to enforce the rules listed on the website and has started turning a few people away. If you don't wish to dress up, there are many options open for dinner on formal nights, and we always have cruisers who don't like formal dress so thats why those options are available."

I then called my PVP... who asked why I wanted to know the policy since I have been on more than enough cruises... but I pressed that I wanted to know the official policy.

He went onto the company website for Policies and procedures and red me almost verbatim from the website and it even went so far as to say the final decision as to what is appropriate is at the discretion of the hotel manager on board. (So I guess the matrie'd isn't the final word... probably most people just give up at that point) He told me he was on a cruise two months ago out of FLL and that a couple tried to come into the Supper Club on formal night wearing a polo with shorts and were sent packing to the Lido Deck.

is a Polo shirt and slacks acceptable on NON-formal nights?

Archived