On your own snorkeling?

kywildcatfanone

Hi,

We will be in Roatan next week on the Grand Princess and I was wondering if there is the ability to go snorkeling without a tour. We will be traveling with my in-laws and it would be better for us to try to go on our own. We have a "tour" booked with Victor Bodden and it sounds like they will take us anywhere we want to go, and it would be nice to go somewhere not crowded for an hour or two. Any advice?

Thanks,

Mike

Yes, you can easily snorkel on your own in the waters around Roatan - especially easy if you already have a guide/transportation set up. If you have your own gear, bring it. If not, there are places in West End and on West Bay Beach that rent gear.

West BAy Beach has excellent snorkeling; go to the far western end (you left if you're facing the water). Where the sand ends & the iron shore starts, the reef is virtually right at the shore line. But WBB will be crowded - it is very popular on cruise days.

Other easy alternative is to snorkel Half Moon Bay (the small beach area in West End community). Here, you have 2 good options. One, go to Half Moon Bay. They have a good restaurant & bar there that is built over the water. They also have an easy in/out of the water spot. There are some reef heads right near the entrance, and the wall & extensive coral reef is a short swim away. They also have a fresh water shower to wash off when you exit. They've always allowed restaurant patrons to us this, I assume they still do.

Second alternative in HMB would be to go to the other side of the little bay (walk the shoreline to the left as you face the water). Get in the water near the end of the sandy area & swim towards the open water; you'll hit the wall/reef almost immediately.

I'd imagine Victor (or whichever of his guides you are with) can steer you right to the places I'm referring to, and they may have some other alternatives.

Archived