• 1 month later...

We were off a ship two summers ago in Bari, but it was Sunday, and it was deserted! We took a cab to see some of the beatiful sites, then went to the area where St. Nicholas chapel is, as well as did a little shopping and had something to eat. We were not there for a long stretch, so taking the taxi worked best for us-we were trying to get as many scenic and local pictures as possible because my grandmother was born there. It has a beautiful marina area, i was surprised at just how beautiful it is.

We too like to do our own thing and are unsure what to do in this port. We are going to be there on the 29th of may. Some websites say that it is unsafe to walk around ? Is it any more unsafe that any other big city ? I know Naples has a major pick-pocket problem but we felt safe wondering round there.

Any coments welcome !

My husband recently spoke to someone from the region who said the old town is best avoided late at night. As we are there in the afternoon we thought we'd maybe just have a wander around.

The new part of the town looks like any other 'modern' city, built on a grid formation and has two main shopping streets. Bearing in mind the shops will be closed till about 4pm and we will be due back on board around 5pm, the old town and marina area sounds like the best bet to me.

Archived