self disembarkation

wework2play

It is carrying your own luggage off the ship at the end of your cruise compared to leaving it out in the hallway the night before and just picking it up in the cruise terminal. The people who do self debarkation gets off the ship first.

It is a good idea and , from what I hear, works most of the time. Having said that, on our last Glory cruise it did not work so well. Stairwells, hallways, everything was crammed with "self assist" passengers. Luggage was all over the place. While many had just a bag or two..many more had WAY too much luggage to handle on their own. The overall effect was...EVERYBODY was late leaving. But when it works...it is fine.

It is extremely chaotic and as stated stairwells crammed with people and luggage everywhere. On Crown Princess we had to go down an escalator with the luggage and I got a wheel caught. Scared, but on Liberty in fll we just walked off the ship; much better, but my heart was pounding expecting that %$#@ escalator again.

Guest YesitDonna

You will always have crowded stairwells no matter what. Even before they did the self everyone was always on the stairs and everywhere with their "carry on" luggage.

on our last Glory cruise it did not work so well. Stairwells, hallways, everything was crammed with "self assist" passengers. Luggage was all over the place. While many had just a bag or two..many more had WAY too much luggage to handle on their own.

I have never self disembarked but what you explain is what i have seen on all my cruises so far sense they started the self assist.

I am quite happy saying in my Cabin until the madness is over, but where would i go anyway, all the hall ways are to jammed to go anywhere.

Iv done it. My sister is not obviously disabled and they told us to get off the elevator. I have to handle her suitcase and my own and Ill tell you it is scary on the escalator with two suitcases. We pack light and only take one suitcase each, that being said she cant really manage herself hardly on the escalator.

I thought it was rude of Carnival or whomever is there when you get off to tell us the elevator was saved for disabled passengers....like they know by looking. Next time I will stand up for us and insist we get on that elevator. Her balance is really bad and she falls just stepping up a curb. Otherwise we had no trouble with the self embarkation.

What exactly is self disembarkation? I have read about how easy it is, but I don't know what it means. Please inform...:o

Others have told you what it is. Our experience on the Valor, was that we DIDN'T choose self disembarkation; went to the Lido deck and had a nice omelet breakfast. When our color was called to disembark, we headed out...........and found ALL of the elevator areas FULL of people hauling their own luggage.....getting frustrated at not being able to get an elevator......finally trying to drag (sometimes) multiple suitcases down several flights of stairs.

I don't think I would ever choose to do it.

We fly into Miami to cruise and go home to Seattle and like to get an early flight to get home at a decent hour because we work the next day. Flying home takes all day so we always do the self disembarkation.

We have had flights as early as 9:30 am and have made it on time to the airport. We have also done this on our other cruises. It would be nice not to have to fly so far.

I have not booked air fare for our next cruise but it will be as early as possible.

Last October, we self disembarked on the RCCL Empress of the Seas out of Philly. It was crowded in the waiting area but we were off the ship and in our car driving home by 8:00 am. You can't beat that.

We'll probably try this year on our 2 Carnival Cruises.

I like the self embarkation because I hate having to have everything packed the night before. I usually just get up early the morning we leave and then throw it all in the suitcases. I have never had any problems doing this.

Archived