Ketchikan help

sheltie0

We are looking at taking one or maybe two of the following tours thru Carnival. We'll probably only have time to do one seeing as we don't get into port untill 11 AM.

Best of Ketchikan by Land & Sea

Exclusive Flightseeing & Crab Feed

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

Orca Beach Nature Trail

Rainforest Canoe Adventure

Saxman Native Village Tour

Saxman Native Village/Coastal Rainforest Sanctuary

Ultimate Ketchikan Discoverer

Need some feedback from anyone that any knowledge of these excursions.

TIA

We took the Rainforest Canoe Adventure with our 12, 7, and 4 YOs last year. I really enjoyed it, but your tastes may differ, so I'll try to give a good description of it.

We were met at the dock and driven maybe 15-20 minutes to the lake site. There we met up with people from another cruise ship who were also taking the tour. There was a big pile of life jackets and we grabbed what we needed; they had a sufficient range of sizes from little kids through plus-sized adults. After everyone had their life jackets on, we were led down a short path to the canoes and loaded in. The guides reassured us that we didn't have to paddle more than we wanted (which was a relief since the little kids were with us) and we set out. Our guide was really great, and he knew all sorts of things about the lake and its ecology. The lake setting was extremely peaceful and quiet, and we paddled for about an hour (across the length of the lake, then around a small island and back about halfway) before pulling the canoes in for the nature walk and snacks. You can bet we were hungry and tired by then! The walk was very brief (10-15 minutes) but packed with information, not only the names of the plants but what the native people used them for. The path led to the food area, and I must say that the food was very disappointing. Selection consisted of clam chowder (which I didn't try), rolls, Goldfish crackers, smoked salmon, and (I think) hot chocolate. Everything but the clam chowder just came out of bags like you would buy at a supermarket, and the quality was mediocre to gross. I'd really looked forward to recharging my energy after so much paddling, and this food just didn't do it for me. After the food break, we got back in the canoe and paddled back to where we'd started. All in all, it was a fun, relaxing, informative excursion, and we'd consider doing it again the next time we go to Ketchikan.

Just a word about the canoes: they are very stable and we never felt in danger of flipping over. Our guide told us that we'd have to work really hard to fall in, and I believe it.

Archived