Is going from Seattle that bad?

woodmill100

Be sure to post a review when you get back. We are sailing the Pearl on July 29th and can't wait to hear all about it. We wanted to sail out of Seattle because my parents live there and they will be sailing with us. It should be so much fun sailing out of Seattle. We looked at other cruiselines out of Seattle, but we felt the Pearl had the best itinerary for the money...and it's brand new! I really don't care about all the lectures...I just want to sit back and enjoy the scenery.

A day trip??? It is at least 5 hours one way, to the South Rim and the whole point of going to the Grand Canyon, is to see it. In season, this is wall to wall people. I would definately overnight.

Are you instead thinking a Hoover Dam day trip, which is very doable?

The dam area is currently under construction and can cause serious delays trying to get through. Some people take a detour through Laughlin to avoid these delays. Of course, if the dam is your destination, that doesn't help! Stopping in Laughlin to gamble can cause further delays :)

I've DONE the Vegas to Grand Canyon and back in one day trip and I would never do it again. It is a long, boring, flat drive to the Grand Canyon from Vegas. If you get to the Grand Canyon and it's all foggy, you're not even going to be able to see much, and then you have to turn around and drive that long,boring drive back. It really is too much for a one day trip! I strongly suggest staying overnight if you do that. Also, if you've never been to Vegas before, there's plenty to do right there.

Hey, there is ONE big river gorge and ONE big hill between Vegas & Williams ;) Okay, you're point still stands... it is a long boring drive.

I'm a little confused about the fog, though. Did you go in winter? You could get some early monsoon action in June, but that is usually associated with an afternoon cloud buildup (and possible downpour). Not that fog isn't possible. It just seems unlikely in the late spring/summer months. I also haven't been there as many times as somebody who grew up 90 miles away could, either. ;)

Thanks for all of the help folks. Skywalk is may be something hubby will do - not me as I am terrified of heights. Might be persuaded to do the helicopter trip to the canyon though.

We've had to change our dates to May. June was working our to be about £2,000 more expensive than going in June and to be honest, we'd prefer to have that cash to spend on trips etc whilst we are away so we're now looking at Mid May with a view to boarding Pearl on 25 May.

Just so you are clear on this: The skywalk is not anywhere close to the south entrance to Grand Canyon National Park, near Tusayan, where most folks go to see then canyon. The skywalk is on the indian reservation on the west end of the canyon. Here's a Google Map.

Here's the map from destinationgrandcanyon.com: destinationgrandcanyon.com

Some options you might want to consider:

1) Drive to the GC and stay over night at the El Tovar in the park.

2) Drive to the GC and stay in a nearby hotel (Tusayan outside the park or Williams < 60 miles).

3) Drive to Williams and ride the train to the park the next day (http://www.thetrain.com/).

4) Take an air tour out of Las Vegas.

5) Skip all of it and rent National Lampoon's Vacation ;)

Have a great vacation!

DH and I sailed on the NCL Spirit in June 2005 - day we sailed was windy and grey and I really have a problem with motion sickness so was worried - but there really wasn't a lot of movement. You will love the scenery in June - the glaciers were so beautiful that words can't do justice. We loved that trip so much!

As for the motion sickness - I can't even play a Playstation game without getting motion sick :D I start taking Bonine once a day starting 3 days prior to sailing. So far 7 cruises and counting and other than slight queasiness no problems. One other hint given to me by a fellow cruiser on my first cruise that I swear by - drink Coke if you feel a little queasy - a thousand times better than sprite/7-up/ginger ale for that stomach. (And I don't even drink Coke normally)

You'll have a fabulous time!

Archived