Dzul-Ha (cozumel), good beach for family snorkeling?

Tangles973

We are cruising April 5th on Inspiration with a 9 and 4 1/2 year old. I really want to go somewhere my older, experienced child can snorkel, but somewhere that my 4 year old could possibly snorkel also, preferably from the beach (in case the little one decides she doesn't like it to well). I read about Dzul-Ha being a great beach for snorkeling from...has anyone ever been? We were looking at Paradise beach also. Thinking maybe we could go to Dzul-Ha first, early to snorkel a bit, then maybe head to Paradise Beach after. Any advice? Thanks!

Your kids would love Paradise Beach! We picked it because it seemed to be the most family friendly beach on the island.

Kids can do all sorts of water activities and a little snorkeling. The snorkeling is not very good, but they'll see some fish. Have them go in the water off of the dock to the left and there will be more fish there.

Check out the Cozumel board for more info on Paradise Beach.

Have you looked into Chankanaab? We were there "pre-hurricane" and it was beautiful. There was a shallow cove where families with small children hung out; older kids/adults snorkeled in the deeper section. There are other things to do/see there too. However, I don't know how it is now......you might want to check it out (check the Cozumel boards). On our next cruise, also "pre-hurricane" we spent the day at Paradise Beach; not much snorkeling, but a fun place to hang out; friendly staff and many families from the cruise ships. What's nice about both places is you will not see roaming vendors on either beach---I know some people enjoy bargaining for souvenirs, but if I'm relaxing, I enjoy not having to constantly say "no thank you".

We looked into the excursions through the boat, but friends of ours who have done Cozumel in the past recommended just doing our own thing, it's less money. Taxi's are about $12-14 for 4 people, from what I understand. We are not really schedule people, anyway....we're more spontaneous and hate to be held to strict schedules. Also, if we don't like where we end up, no big deal, really....we'll just pack up and move on down the road. (At least, I hope it's that easy! :) )

We were at Dzul Ha pre-hurricane, and I don't know what might have changed since then. It was the first time that I'd tried snorkeling (except in the local swimming pool :D ), and I personally found it very hard to get in and out of the water. The day we were there it was overcast and quite windy -- I'm not sure if that contributed or not.

The employees directed us to a certain part of the "beach" (which wasn't sandy at all) and told us that was the best place to enter the ocean, but I thought it was very slippery. It took my DD (age 20) and I quite a while to maneuver out to where we could even try to snorkel. Hopefully your 9 year old would do better than I am (I'm admittedly a klutz), but I definitely wouldn't take a 4 1/2 year old snorkeling there.

Archived