Snorkel Equipment

CATAHOULA

GOOD MORNING, ALL:)

I'VE NEVER SNORKELD BEFORE. HOW HARD IS IT? HAVE AN ELEVEN YEAR OLD? HOW DIFFICULT WILL SHE FIND IT? WE CAN ALL SWIM WELL.

ALSO, WHAT ABOUT RENTING SNORKEL EQUIPMENT? I'M SURE YOU DON'T USE THE SAME EQUIPMENT SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD IN THEIR MOUTH PREVIOUSLY.

HOW DOES ALL THIS SNORKELING SITUATION SHAKE OUT?:confused:

I recommend since this is new to you is to find your local Dive Shop. They have quality snorkel items as well as vests. Most dive shops have a swimming pool nearby where they can show you how to snorkel and teach you more about safety etc. No rental gear onboard the ships anymore.

Fred

If you can swim and you can breath, you'll be fine. When you rent snorkeling equipment they generally give you the snorkel tube to keep becase of the sanitary concerns. We have our own equipment, including prescription masks as we can't see anything without our glasses. We had them made when we got certified for diving. You won't have a problem, nor will an 11 year old. My son started when he was about 6. It's an incredible experience, don't miss it! Snorkeling equipment is not that expensive and when I used to rent it, I had the most trouble with the fins giving me blisters. Invest in a pair of dive booties (you can pick those up rather cheap) to wear with the fins and you won't have that problem. The other thing that will help is to wear footie socks, you don't want blisters! Have a wonderful time.

we just got back on the Legend. took my own snorkle equipment because of health problems. bought it from Dick's Sporting Goods. It worked great. Saw a couple of people that had even brought their own life "belt", they were using this instead of the vest. Sure looked more comfortable than the vest. Next time I will check into this before going.

first time we snorkeled it was off a beach and that works great if you are just learning. All my children were teenagers then and had no problem. I am sure my 9 year old grandchild could learn real quick. As long as they don't mind putting their head under water there is no problem.:)

My mom was VERY nervous abut snorkeling on our first cruise. In Grand Cayman, we took her to a noncrowded beach. My DH and I were on each side of her to keep her afloat (she claimed she doesn't know how to float!) It took about 5 minutes as we gradually worked into deeper water. Then she was fine! (My mom is not a very strong swimmer, so if she can do it, you can!! They bought their own cheap equipment before leaving at a sporting goods store. Since my DH and I are hooked on snorkeling, we investing in a prescription mask for him, and nicer equipment for both of us. Even though we only use it once a year, it was worth it. We ordered it online, but I don't remember the company name.

Snorkeling is easy and your 9 year old should pick it up right away. I would suggest a trial run at home in a pool if you have access. I found the only tricky part is when the water is rough and its easier to learn in a pool w/o waves.

I have been on a couple of snorkel excursions and have never had someone give me the snorkel tube. The equipment gets dumped into a big plastic tub filled with (hopefully) some disinfectant and is then rented to the next taker.......mmmmm, gross!

We bring our own snorkel and mask and use the snorkel boat's fins. You can even get by w/o fins, they just allow you to swim faster.

Have a great time, I know you will enjoy the view from underwater.

but we went to a local dive shop (in Missouri, yes they do exist!) and paid $25 for a hour lesson. Described all this stuff about how not to touch anything, beware of critters, how to photography, rip currents, etc. I bought my own equipment online from us diver, and DW bought her's at the shop. fins, snorkel, mask, everything (her class was included) for about $80. After the classroom, we got into the pool at the shop (indoor) and got another hour + lesson of hands on snorkeling. We felt we needed the expertise prior to our cruise. I would highly recommend it. Maybe you can find a package deal locally where you live.

It will make snorkeling in paradise much easier.

Go Cats

You might want to check Sam's.

We got some Body Glove sets there that worked out just fine.

We ordered snorkle vests from Snorkle-Mart.

Since I was looking at the stuff under the water I felt much better knowing that my crew had on flotation equipment.

Just the peace of mind is worth the cost.

And it's just nice to be able to float about and look.

There are 2 things that new snorkelers can find hard to learn.

First is mask fogging. Use an anti fog rinse or spit in your mask and rub it around to help reduce fogging, and then make sure you have a good seal and no hair is in the seal around your face. Eventually you will get fog or water in your mask, you should practice how to rinse it and reinstall it in deep water before you need to.

Second is water in your snorkel. This is easier to deal with but it frightens some people. You need to learn how to blow hard to clear it, or find a way to get your head up high enough to turn it and pour out the water. You can buy a "dry snorkel" with a valve that keep the water out pretty well but not perfectly.

Practice in a pool or shallow water, doesn't take long to get comfortable!

Check for corredt sizes at a dive shop, then check ebay for real good prices. use "rain-x" on the inside & outside of your mask (it works real good) We have our own equipment, but on snorkle excursions, a new snorkle was given to those that needed one that they could keep. Good luck, snorkling is a blast.:D A disposable underwater camera will be a good thing to bring.

I took swimming lessons in 2001 so I could snorkel in Mexico. I still don't consider myself a swimmer at all but I can snorkel:p.

There's something about that salt water that keeps me afloat.

DH and I bought goggle/mask combo sets for about $25 each before our last cruise. They don't take up much room, we could try the fit out beforehand and the snorkel has only been in our mouth.

Have fun!

We bring our own snorkel and mask and use the snorkel boat's fins. You can even get by w/o fins, they just allow you to swim faster.

Glad to hear I"m not alone! I hated using the fins and since I'm bringing my own equipment, I've been planning to just wear my water shoes, but someone told me I had to wear fins to make sure I don't hit the coral with my feet. I think I'll be fine without them I'm sure!

TinaJ

ALSO, WHAT ABOUT RENTING SNORKEL EQUIPMENT? I'M SURE YOU DON'T USE THE SAME EQUIPMENT SOMEONE ELSE HAS HAD IN THEIR MOUTH PREVIOUSLY.

You do use the same equipment someone else has had in their mouth if you rent. You have to trust that these people sterilize the equipment properly. We bought our own equipment and take it with us. Snorkeling is not hard, you can take a lesson at home or wait till you go on your trip. With an eleven year old, I would probably spend the money for a lesson at home from a local dive shop as others have recommended. Good luck. Snorkeling and Scuba are a great time, you'll love it.

but we went to a local dive shop (in Missouri, yes they do exist!) and paid $25 for a hour lesson. Described all this stuff about how not to touch anything, beware of critters, how to photography, rip currents, etc. I bought my own equipment online from us diver, and DW bought her's at the shop. fins, snorkel, mask, everything (her class was included) for about $80. After the classroom, we got into the pool at the shop (indoor) and got another hour + lesson of hands on snorkeling. We felt we needed the expertise prior to our cruise. I would highly recommend it. Maybe you can find a package deal locally where you live.

It will make snorkeling in paradise much easier.

Go Cats

Good Job, thats what I recommend newbies do, there is so much to learn other then sticking the Snorkel in your mouth. Head to your local Dive shop and take a cool class and learn how to do it right the first time you hit the Carribbean.

Fred

I can't swim but I snorkel. Most of the snorkel excursions that I've been on give you a regular life vest to wrap around you if you need it. A snorkel vest that you blow up seems to work a lot better. That's what they had for us to use in Cozumel and it was a lot easier for me. I'm going to buy one to take on our next cruise.

I snorkled for the first time a year and a half ago at the age of 59. All my life I wanted to to do this! We vacationed in Aruba at an all-inclusive, so the equipment was supplied free. Picked up the stuff and off we went to the snorkeling beach, no lessons or anything. Sooo easy, just float and look. I got brave and started diving deeper to see in between the coral and rocks. I can now die happy:) :) :) It was so beautiful!!! I saw how they "disinfected" the mask and tubes, so wasn't concerned. Can't wait to snorkel again this October on our cruise!! Wish I lived near the ocean - I'd be out there every weekend. Whole new world - and so peaceful. Enjoy - and my granddaughters snorkled for the first time that same year - ages then 9 and 15.

Use your own gear, there are MANY MANY reasons for it...

1. sanitization.. the old YUK factor of putting your mouth on where someone else was 10 minutes ago.

2. Better equipment... The rentals are usually the mass produced and cheapest ones they can get a hold of. Normally, they dont use dry air snorkels. Purchase one with a purge valve, you'll be glad you did.

3. Better fit.... having your own mask that fits is worth the money!!! Again, you be much happier!!!

4. Price to pay... one of the biggest factors that many people forget is that, if you loose the rental item, they are going to charge you a premium price to replace it. And if you have no money, then a big argument will in sue and it may ruin your fun time. If you loose your own equipment, then its your fault, end of story.

ALSO... A MUST... before EVER using your newly purchased mask, be sure to clean the lens with toothpaste. When a mask is manufactured, there is a film on it from gluing the lens into the frame. No De-FOG will work until this film is removed. Simply place a small amount of toothpaste (not the gel type) on each side and rub it in. This could take 2 or 3 times to get it all off. Then apply the anti-fog.

Have FUN and say Hi to all the fishes for me!!!

Doing the TP in August and want to take our own snorkel stuff...but still debating on the fins - yes or no? They are so heavy and take up lots of room in the luggage - but not sure about the coral drift swim without fins? Our original snorkle stuff is so old and rotted we have to buy new, but don't want to spend lots of $$ since we use it so infrequently.

Anyone have experience with the disposable underwater cameras? Quality of pictures?

Also, do we need gloves to deflect off the coral or is it that close to the surface?

Thanks for any tips....

I just came back on the NCL SUN on 4/1. We brought cheap equipment with us. (mine from target for $7 junior set, and I'm an adult woman.) Snorkel and mask worked great! did not need fins. Went to the Corona Beach Club which is just north of San Francisco Beach at the recommendation of the taxi cab driver. If you are just a one-time total novice snorkeler, I would recommend this cheap route.

I was going to ask this question, but since it's already asked, I just want to thank everyone who replied! So good to know. Looked at fins and a snorkle kit today at WallyWorld. $18.88. Seems well worth it to me compared to "renting" equipment that someone already used. Yucky.

Is there anywhere you can snorkle on your own without paying for an excursion to do it? I don't mind paying, I just thought if there's somewhere you can go off on your own, that might be kind of fun. :)

We have snorkeled for years in the Caribbean...and our lake each summer.

Now we are seniors.

I had a laryngeal spasm in our lake in 60 feet of water and almost drown (due totally to reflux disease I have had for years) two years ago and I was terrified to try it again..anywhere!

I went to our local dive site, replaced my goggle.. and bought a dual valve snorkel, and some "no fog".(My fins are excellent.)

I have to tell you!! My best purchase was my snorkel vest!:D

Excellent! Put it on, blow it up..and I an queen of the waves!

It gave me the security and confidence I needed..and we will definitely be booking more snorkeling excursions!

We even bought some disposable underwater cameras and got some great shots....for beginner underwater photographers!We were not even sure the camera took a photo! ;)

Our first "snorkel cruise"..totally wade in wade out..is here.:)

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/556336247rHEQgB

Sorry that you have to wade through all of the other photos to see the underwater photos.

Is there anywhere you can snorkle on your own without paying for an excursion to do it? I don't mind paying, I just thought if there's somewhere you can go off on your own, that might be kind of fun. :)

Lots and Lots of places to snorkel.... even in my bath tub once in a while..:D

Really depends on where your going...anyplace where there is water you can snorkel

I've been shopping around for a housing for my Olympus camera, but Olympus doesnt offer one for my model, nor does anyone else. I've seen these underwater camera bags that can be used in such situations(according to the marketing!) but are they really safe or should I be looking at a disposable underwater camera?:(

Archived