Mediterranean Ports on Our Own

We've booked a cruise with only 10 days to spare - all the ships tours are booked (Not necessarily a bad thing ...). Anyone have tips on visiting any of the following ports on our own?

Corfu, Dubrovnik, Katakolon, Iraklion (Crete), Valletta (Malta), La Goulette (Tunisia), Palma de Mallor, Ceuta, and Ponta Delgada (Azores)

Thanks,

Jack

Last year we did St Petersburg with NCL. I called a month in advance to book the ships tours. Most of the good tours were already booked, so I took whatever they had. When I got on the ship, there was plenty of space in our first choice; and the tour desk was very accommodating about changing.

So....all may not be lost.

(1) For each port city, go to Google and search for [cityname, country]. You should get a bunch of informative links on the first page. I did this for our June cruise before the excursion list was posted. Quite often you will get links to local tour/excursion companies.

(2) Google maps can help a lot, especially if you do the hybrid mode (combination of satellite and street maps.)

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I just had a thought - sin ce you are leaving so soon - it may be that you cannot book tours online any longer. Some cruise lines close the window on booking online tours a couple of weeks before you sail. If that is the case you may be able to book the tours you want once you get onboard.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

Lynn

We've booked a cruise with only 10 days to spare - all the ships tours are booked (Not necessarily a bad thing ...). Anyone have tips on visiting any of the following ports on our own?

Corfu, Dubrovnik, Katakolon, Iraklion (Crete), Valletta (Malta), La Goulette (Tunisia), Palma de Mallor, Ceuta, and Ponta Delgada (Azores)

Thanks,

Jack

Have been to some of these ports and here is my advice:

Corfu-easy to do on your own. Corfu is very scenic and easy to walk around. If you want to be alittle adventurous hire a cab to take you to Ahillion Palace. The drive to the Palace is very scenic and there are great views from the Palace. The cab fare will be reasonable but ask before you leave.

Dubrovnik is a walled in city and I must say it must be the prettiest one I have ever seen. You can spend your whole day here and it is so easy to do-just walk. For a small fee you can go up to the top of the wall and follow it completely around the town. The views are gorgous looking over the town and out to the Adriatic. Down below shops galore,plenty of places to eat and all well below prices you will see in most parts of Europe.

Valletta- Easy to do on your own as the city lies just above where your ship will dock. They also have a good bus system that will get you to Medina but there is plenty to do right in Valetta. It is also a good place to go shopping and the whole area is very exotic.

Sorry but I cannot comment on the rest. Enjoy your trip

Peace,

Irwin(aka Rodan)

You can also rent a car in Corfu and do the drive on your own - there are a few car rental places near the port.

Iraklion - the archaeological site of Knossos is just out of town, but an easy drive (and there are probably buses too). I haven't been to it personally, but I hear the archaeological museum in Iraklion is good.

We've arranged a rental car in Katakolon, so we can drive ourselves to Olympia. It is 45 euros for a car which will accommodate two adults and two children. I've read on other threads that it is also possible to rent mopeds there, as well.

I've enquired of others, and I am told the road between Katakolon and Olympia is fairly level and straight-forward (ie., no mountainous switch-back type driving conditions).

Enjoy your cruise!

In 06 we did 10 ports in 5 countries but unfortunately none that you're going to, so I can't help you out directly. But I can give you encouragement. English is spoken thru-out the MED and also theres signage in english to. Do as much cramming as you can about what you want to see and do specificly then I would cab it, they're not THAT expensive. IMO you waste too much time taking out and returning car rentals unless you plan to do countrysides. But overall "DIY" (doing it yourself) is always the best way to go. Just don't panic and enjoy.

CIAO,

Thanks to all of you for the helpful comments and suggestions. Just what we needed. We are not the panicking type, but have had our moments. We much prefer DIY to ship's tours, but sometimes transportation from the port can be a problem.

Googled and used Fodor's and/or Frommer's for some help, and will surely consider renting a car, particularly in Katakolon.

Lynn, we're on the Prinsendam, leaving from Civitavecchia the day after Easter. If you want info, let me know.

This has been a great site for me. Thoughtful, helpful comments from all.

Thanks.

Jack

Of the ports on your list, we've only been to Palma de Mallorca. We found it very easy to walk around the city. Our ship provided a shuttle bus right to downtown. You can tour the huge cathedral that you even see from your ship, and the summer palace of the Spanish king is nearby, with an interesting self-guided tour. Winding narrow streets with flowers on the balconies, quiet little plazas with small tavernas for lunch, it was lovely.

I know you don't have much time but I have found lots of useful information on this site. Just type in the name of each of the ports on Search this Forum or look on the Forums for your ship and you will find lots of people will help you. The only places we have booked the ship's toirs are Naples and La Goulette and all the others we have planned to do alone thanks to all the helpful hints I have received from this site.

Good Luck:)

Jack -

We are on the Prinsendam later this year... so please when you get back tell me all about your trip and the ship. This is my first time on HAL so I will be anxious to hear how it went.

I hope you have a wonderful and safe trip.....

Lynn

When in Dubrovnik it is worth doing a panorama tour that would include some spots which are not normally covered by large tour companies. Village of Trsteno has an Arboretum which is a must! For those who like landscape photography there is this peak called "Velji Do" that offers amazing photo opportunities.Cavtat is also must visit stop.It is a cosy hamlet with some of the best restaurants in Dubrovnik Region not forgetting of course "Konavoski Dvori", a dining experience by a mill house and natural brook.

Archived