POMPEII - Are Strollers allowed? any tips?

Bababooey Land

A stroller would be very difficult to use in Pompeii. It is a ruin. I would use a backpack carrier for your child.

It also can be very hot.

I'm not sure I would take a 19 month old on a ship's tour to it - it can be a pretty long day.

I'd try a private tour - that way if you need to skip out you can.

Good Luck!

thanks for the reply. yes we are taking a private tour, only way to do these ports with a toddler safely. He is too heavy to carry in a backpack..so if a stroller doesnt work, i would let him walk/run around. but of course we wouldnt be able to spend 2 hours there.

You may want to do a web search for pictures of Pompeii - it'll give you an idea of the terrain.

You will find that many countries do not have ramps etc - handicap access to sites and ruins. It's just the way it is...

Hi! We went to Pompeii in May of 2004 with an 18 month old. We brought the stroller. It is true, some of it is a bit rough going, but it is do-able. At worst, your son or daughter may have to hop out of it during the tough spots, to make it easier to navigate. Or if he/she is sleeping you can each grab an end as you would if you were going up/down stairs. I don't really remember this being much of a problem, though (unlike Venice:eek: ).

Hopefully, the weather will be perfect - warm enough to be outside, but not so hot you want to hide from the sun! That was our experience, at least, and hope it is yours!

An advantage to spending some time at Pompeii is that it is a great expanse of traffic free space to run around. Unlike some other places we found ourselves when our children were that age, this one has relatively few scary parts. In addition to not necessarily being handicap accessible, sites in Europe also don't tend to go in for the safety precautions you would likely find in the US, so touring with children that age can be a challenge. However, I remember feeling pretty relaxed while we were there (well, as relaxed as you ever are keeping a child that age out of harm's way!:p )

You say you are taking a private tour, so this probably won't be an issue, but if you spend any time on your own in Naples, beware the vehicles. Stopping for red lights is at the descretion of the driver, and you can not assume a car will stop just because it is approaching a red light (not kidding). I only make a special point of noting this as the stroller usually precedes mom or dad into the crosswalk.

Enjoy your trip and your little one!

Actually, I think your 19 month old will have a good time in Pompeii. It is a ruin and hard for your toddler to disturb or hurt anything.

I have been there and a stroller won't really work well. I would bring the umbrella type and see how it does. If it isn't working, just fold it up.

Have a wonderful vacation.

Hi,

We were in Pompeii this past summer of 2006 with a two 1/2 year old. We did have a stroller, but it had big bicycle tire wheels. We were able to manage, but there are areas that are very difficult with a stroller. There are these "humps" in the roads occasionally. Our tour guide told us that they may have been used as crossing stones for pedestrians on rainy days, or maybe as speed bumps. When you encounter these, you will have to lift the stroller, and on some streets, they occur every few feet. My son fell asleep in the stroller, so we were lifting stroller plus 38 lbs! Had a great time though, and it was certainly worth it.

DSCN1129.jpg

the backpack is a great idea, but he is already over 30 pounds as we speak. i am not sure how my back would like it after about 5 mins! :)

thanks for the input mpb. we are definetly going to go after hearing the responses. next up, is figuring out the Acropolis :)

the backpack is a great idea, but he is already over 30 pounds as we speak. i am not sure how my back would like it after about 5 mins! :)

thanks for the input mpb. we are definetly going to go after hearing the responses. next up, is figuring out the Acropolis :)

Holy football player batman! :eek:

My youngest 3rd b'day is in 3 weeks and she is 26lbs. LOL!

Archived