Parking and getting to NYC for the Spirit leaving in a week!

iluv2travl

I was wondering which way is the safest, and quickest into the city (the lincoln tunnel for the GWB?. Also, any hints or advice on parking. We are leaving on 4/7 which is a Sat, and returning on 4/15. (8 nights).

Both will get you there, if you are coming up from the south and up the jersey turnpike then you'd probably do better with the Lincon Tunnel, if you are coming from the north or west then the G.W bridge might be a bteer option ..

As for traffic , listen to the traffic reports in case there are massive delays wcbs newsradio 88 (880 on the AM dial) usually gives reports every 8 minutes even on weekends. As the bridge and the tunnel are fairly close you can make adjustments up to the last few minutes of the river crossing if need be.

Also you might want to check the port authority web site for any planned closings of either the tunnel or the bridge..

Regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

We are coming from Western NYS. Binghamton area (south of Syracuse). I've had some people tell me that I would be crazy to take the bridge because the tunnel comes out almost right were I need to be and that if there is an accident near the bridge it is a complete nightmare, and then I've had others (people for NYC) tell me that the bridge is the way to go. So...it sounds like it doesn't really matter? Sounds like a toss-up huh?

Does anyone know the cheapest way to park?

Lori

We are also coming from the north. Last time we came across the GWB. route 9A is the first right hand turn off the bridge. It takes you directly past the cruise ship terminal. You cant miss it. Parking at the pier is $24 per day, and i've heard its fairly easy. So they say, I havent done it yet but will on May 3 when i leave on the Miracle.....TRESE

Thanks Tom,

We are coming from Western NYS. Binghamton area (south of Syracuse). I've had some people tell me that I would be crazy to take the bridge because the tunnel comes out almost right were I need to be and that if there is an accident near the bridge it is a complete nightmare, and then I've had others (people for NYC) tell me that the bridge is the way to go. So...it sounds like it doesn't really matter? Sounds like a toss-up huh?

Lori[/quote

I'm assumng you'll probably come down rt 17 then.. You might want to pick up I 87 (NYS thruway) at spring valley, and take the tappan zee bridge over the river, stay on 87 thru yonkers and the bronx, pick up I 95 towards the GW bridge for a very short time and get off at the henry Hudson pkwy exit and just follow it down to the pier..

An advantage of this is if you hear that the tappan zee brige is congested, you can get off at the i287/ NJ 17 exit and take rte 17 thru New Jersey to I 80 and go over the GW bridge, or continue down 17 a bit further and take the Lincon tunnel in to the city.

If the tapan Zee bridge isn't too conjested, it'll be an easier ride than either the GW bridge (getting off from the Jersey side to the Henry Hudson pkwy can be confusing) or the tunnel, from which you'll then have to work your way thru the city to get to the pier.

If you decide to go to the T.Z bridge and find out at the last second that the bridge is congested or otherwise not a good bet you could always take the palisades pkwy south exit off I 87 and go to the GW bridge, or take the Garden State Pkwy exit and follow that to the exit for the Lincon tunnel.

As for Parking suprisingly the cheapest and easiest to deal with I've found was the pier, not sure I'd really want to walk a few blocks after a cruise with all my luggage to get to my car to save a few bucks, getting a taxi is not too much fun, especially if there is more than 1 ship that is disembarking at the time. Subways aren't that close, city busses ?????

Last Cruise I was on our group had 2 older ladies, 1 handicapped gent and 7 more of us, the porters walked us all the way over to the other pier where the car was parked, then up to the roof where the cars were, waited until we got the cars over to the loading area , unloaded the carts and helped load the cars with me, all for an $100 tip, which we all kicked in for, if you park elsewhere most you might get is help out to the sidewalk..

Regards,

Tom

Thanks Tom,

Lori

While it doesn't really matter this way is 10 miles shorter...

to route 80 to route 46 towards the Lincoln Tunnel to Route 3 to the lincoln tunnel....lincoln tunnel left after tunnel second left at 42nstreet right at 12 th Avenue folow signs to cruise terminal. Listen to the traffic reports if Lincoln tunnel is backed up stay on 80 to 95 to GWB first exit in nY 9A southbound when the highway ends stay on the right and you'll go right into the pier.

Parking in NY is expensive stay with the Pier its very safe. for a week its $168.00

Wow everyone! Thanks so much. Those were great detailed directions. I feel a lot better now. The only time I go to the city is on a bus, so I don't pay too much attention on how we get there. All I know is that the driver always takes the tunnel but when he comes out of it, I get all confused with the one-way streets and all. :confused:

I will definately use the parking ramp at the pier. Does any one know if they will let you pay for parking by the month instead of by the day? Because I heard that by the month is 180.00. It would cost me 216.00 (8 night cruise) if I pay by the day.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to save where I can! We usually fly to our destination so I haven't had experience with this driving thing yet. :D

Thanks a bunch,

Lori

I will definately use the parking ramp at the pier. Does any one know if they will let you pay for parking by the month instead of by the day? Because I heard that by the month is 180.00. It would cost me 216.00 (8 night cruise) if I pay by the day.

Hi Lori,

Yes, you would pay by the month ($180). When you get to the pay booth, before parking, they ask you how long your cruise is going to be. When you say eight days, the person will ask you for $180. The NYPST website says they take cash or traveler's checks only, but when we got to the pay booth, there were signs for Visa. If you really want to use a credit card, I'd call them to double-check first. HAVE FUN!!!

Is there a website for the pier in NYC. Never driven to the city myself and don't even know where it is. Coming from central jersey and will need to park at the pier. Is it a parking garage or a lot? Thanks for any info.

Is there a website for the pier in NYC. Never driven to the city myself and don't even know where it is. Coming from central jersey and will need to park at the pier. Is it a parking garage or a lot? Thanks for any info.

www.nypst.com its the Manhattan piers. Its a open lot on top of the piers next to the ships.

My wife and I are sailing July 5 on the Carnival Victory we plan on driving down on the 4th and stay at the Holiday Inn NEW YORK CITY-MIDTOWN-57TH ST and was wondering can we park at the terminal the night before the cruise and then we would walk over to the hotel?

My wife and I are sailing July 5 on the Carnival Victory we plan on driving down on the 4th and stay at the Holiday Inn NEW YORK CITY-MIDTOWN-57TH ST and was wondering can we park at the terminal the night before the cruise and then we would walk over to the hotel?

Unless there is a ship in the terminal its closed. The parking lot is closed to entry unless a ship is there. This is because the CG rules require that each car be sniffed for explosives and the dogs are only there when a ship is there.

Archived