Darn you Carnival!

flitter306

Chris, I think Belize may be ok-not sure, though. I'd have to look in my trusty SOP manual. . .

LOL, you are probably right... I'm thinking back several years ago and I have no idea what they told me, I just know they told me no, and pretty much "if you cruise twice a year, pretty much don't come back" :p LMAO!!! So I gave up... would love to give blood, but they won't let me!! Never stepped foot off the ship in Belize in 4 visits, so I have no clue!!! LOL!

So did I.

And I don't know what everyone is complaining about, check out how long you are off the list for some places in Afrika. And don't even THINK about getting a tat overseas!

It's a year deferral no matter WHERE you get that tat, Dark! Whether done at home, in a shop, overseas, or here!

If you stay on the island it's OK. You can't give blood for a year if you go to the mainland from there.

I was told that if I had visited Cozumel without the trip to the mainland to see Tulum it would have been OK.

Exactly right!

Darn you Carnival?????????

Why say "darn you" to Carnival?? You should have known this....Carnival did not make you take this route. These questions were on the blood donor info before you cruised, or you could have found this out...why blame Carnival?

I think the blood banks are extra cautious, and rightfully so. IF you are/were so into donating blood I would have thought you knew the restrictions that are in place.

This stuff has been discussed many times on the various port boards, I don't see why Carnival should be at fault. These ports are standard cruise ports, nothing really exotic...they are not sailing to North Korea or the Sudan. Plenty of other cruiselines sail to Mexico, Belize, etc ! All the cruiselines sail there, and I bet they don't advertise the blood donation restrictions in the brochures either LOL

Idea : if you can't donate blood, donate money or find other good causes. I have even seen posts about cruisers who help the local orphanages in the poor ports etc.

It's a year deferral no matter WHERE you get that tat, Dark! Whether done at home, in a shop, overseas, or here!

Did they change the rules? I know back in the early 90's wehad a few guys that got tats overseas and they were told they were ineligiable for giving blood, Period.

LOL, you are probably right... I'm thinking back several years ago and I have no idea what they told me, I just know they told me no, and pretty much "if you cruise twice a year, pretty much don't come back" :p LMAO!!! So I gave up... would love to give blood, but they won't let me!! Never stepped foot off the ship in Belize in 4 visits, so I have no clue!!! LOL!

Well, Costa Maya is definitely a deferral, so you're done for this year!

Did they change the rules? I know back in the early 90's wehad a few guys that got tats overseas and they were told they were ineligiable for giving blood, Period.

It might be that some blood banks have their own guidlines. I know our ultra-conservative blood bank doesn't even allow donating for a year after piercings. Most blood banks will allow it if it was done in a shop and there are no signs of infection, but this place is a real stickler about it. The individual blood banks have limited leeway on SOME of the guidlines. But truthfully, I've been working in blood banks since 1980 and have never heard of anything more than a year deferral. Maybe the Red Cross is different on that? The ARC and the AABB are two different entities. I have only worked for AABB blood banks.

Why say "darn you" to Carnival?? You should have known this....Carnival did not make you take this route. These questions were on the blood donor info before you cruised, or you could have found this out...why blame Carnival?

I think the blood banks are extra cautious, and rightfully so. IF you are/were so into donating blood I would have thought you knew the restrictions that are in place.

This stuff has been discussed many times on the various port boards, I don't see why Carnival should be at fault. These ports are standard cruise ports, nothing really exotic...they are not sailing to North Korea or the Sudan. Plenty of other cruiselines sail to Mexico, Belize, etc ! All the cruiselines sail there, and I bet they don't advertise the blood donation restrictions in the brochures either LOL

Idea : if you can't donate blood, donate money or find other good causes. I have even seen posts about cruisers who help the local orphanages in the poor ports etc.

Ummm, I think the OP was saying that in a lighthearted way, not really blaming it on Carnival. Most regular blood donors are pretty disappointed when their blood-giving routine is disrupted, believe it or not!:p

Our donors can get a tat in state and they can donate...they will be deferred if they get it out of the state.

Really??? THAT'S a big change since I worked there! Milwaukee used to be super conservative, too! By us, it's a year across the board. . .

I work for the area blood bank, yes I am a "Blood Sucker", and yes there are certain areas that require a 1 year deferral from donating from the date that you return to the United States. As far as Coz is concerned, most of the island is ok, except for probably the ruins. My advice, call your local blood bank and tell them your itinerary and shore excursion destinations and they can let you know. The CDC changes the criteria constantly so check. But what ever you do don't stop donating, as at any given time a very small portion of the population is able to donate ( bad veins, meds, travel), my point is when and if you can please continue to donate...it is the only commodity that can not be bought. I will double check tomorrow at work on Coz and post my findings, I will also check on Belize. However, I believe that they are both ok now, I'll let you know tomorrow. And yes, tats are a 1 year dererral. There are however some areas that if the tat was done by a licensed shop by the state, you can donate, this varies state to state and county to county, so please check

Clearly you missed the sarcasm in my OP.

I'm surprised anyone donates given the privacy issues involved in giving blood. I use to give blood all the time until they changed the privacy rules.

Doesn't it make you feel good that you may be listed on national registry and records as having AIDS... even if it's reported wrong...? :eek:

My Miracle cruise was 10-01-06 and the next is 10-22-07...........I have an appointment set because I have a week window of opportunity to donate and then I'm done for another year.

It's true, diehard blood donors like yourself that are the backbone of the blood supply! One behalf of one who knows the struggle to keep up, thanks!!!:)

They have never taken my blood. I have the tuberulosis antibody in me. Don't know why, but ever since about the first grade when they pricked my arm and it swole up and everybody had a fit, I have been ineligible to donate for anyone but myself. And, thank goodness that has never came up.

So I can cruise with a clear conscience, but I have felt bad a few times when someone I loved or was in need needed blood, and I could not help out.

Don't know who's rule it is, but the Red Cross won't take my blood.

I was in the Army and stationed in Europe in the early '90s. So why won't they let me donate? Because the Army commissaries (grocery stores) bought some beef from England and there's no test for Mad Cow disease.

Moo!

-peabody304

They have never taken my blood. I have the tuberulosis antibody in me. Don't know why, but ever since about the first grade when they pricked my arm and it swole up and everybody had a fit, I have been ineligible to donate for anyone but myself. And, thank goodness that has never came up.

So I can cruise with a clear conscience, but I have felt bad a few times when someone I loved or was in need needed blood, and I could not help out.

Hope you understand it's just a safety issue, Pat. That may change someday-there's a lot of things they used to defer for that now is acceptable.

Archived