Darn you Carnival!

flitter306

Is it really such a big deal to advise the blood banks that you have travelled to these places when you have crusied there?

As a crusier we are in the destinations for no more than 18 hours. Unless you are doing some deep jungle adventures, (zip-lines, canopy exploring, etc) a traveller on a cruise is not exposed to any major risks. Even if we overnight in a port, most are not ashore for very long.

As a traveller who may select one destination at resort for a weekend or even a full week, your risk is much higher with the length of your stay. However, we are in these ports for a relatively short time and should not be a concern.

MHO.

Is it really such a big deal to advise the blood banks that you have travelled to these places when you have crusied there?

As a crusier we are in the destinations for no more than 18 hours. Unless you are doing some deep jungle adventures, (zip-lines, canopy exploring, etc) a traveller on a cruise is not exposed to any major risks. Even if we overnight in a port, most are not ashore for very long.

As a traveller who may select one destination at resort for a weekend or even a full week, your risk is much higher with the length of your stay. However, we are in these ports for a relatively short time and should not be a concern.

MHO.

It doesn't matter. The blood bank called me to make an appt as I was waiting in the airport the day of disembakation from my cruise in December. I told the woman I just got off a cruise, and she asked where - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya. She asked how long in each. I told her, and she said I was ineligible to donate until 12/10/2007 because of Belize and Costa Maya. Of course, I'm going to Playa del Carmen in May, so that adds another several months! Like GoinCruizin, I think I may just have to give up, unfortunately.

Hope you understand it's just a safety issue, Pat. That may change someday-there's a lot of things they used to defer for that now is acceptable.

If there is any chance that there is a problem, I would want the blood bank to defer on the side of caution.

Don't know who's rule it is, but the Red Cross won't take my blood.

I was in the Army and stationed in Europe in the early '90s. So why won't they let me donate? Because the Army commissaries (grocery stores) bought some beef from England and there's no test for Mad Cow disease.

Moo!

-peabody304

The reason is Mad Cow, they are finding that it can stay dormant for up to 20 years and there is no accurate testing for it yet. I am sure that if it was you or your loved one in need of the blood you would want the blood to be safe as possible. Thank you for your interest and I am sure that they will come up with a test soon. We currently run 14+ test on the blood we collect before we release it to our area hospitals. As I said before, keep cruising and donating when you can. Also, Coz island is completely ok, however, if you travel to the mainland to the Tulan ruins it is a deferral. Also Belize City is the only safe location in Belize, the rest of the country is at risk.

It's a year deferral no matter WHERE you get that tat, Dark! Whether done at home, in a shop, overseas, or here!

I have been a platelet donor at American Red Cross branches in Mass. and New Hampshire. Over the last year, the regs changed and I can get tattooed in Maine and still donate. That's why I'm up to 3 tattoos so far :p .

LOL, you are probably right... I'm thinking back several years ago and I have no idea what they told me, I just know they told me no, and pretty much "if you cruise twice a year, pretty much don't come back" :p LMAO!!! So I gave up... would love to give blood, but they won't let me!! Never stepped foot off the ship in Belize in 4 visits, so I have no clue!!! LOL!

MHO.

My nurse at the Red Cross said that even if you don't step off the ship, that little mosquito doesn't know you don't want to take a disease home with you. ;) One bite from the one critter who flies aboard and it happens. And with my blood, mosquitos (and phaerisis nurses) love me.

Archived