Noddy...a bit worried...

UK family

Did anyone else notice in the early marketing days of Ventura reading of "You never know whom you may meet at breakfast time...even Noddy". Well, I for one do NOT want to meet Nod

ddy at breakfast time - or any other time whilst cruising (or at home!!). I mean, he is a cute, sweet little chappie, but....

Hmmm....This has put me off of the Ventura as clearly it is being marketed as a MASSIVE family ship, and, personally feel I don't want or need that now my family are almost grown up. It seems that they are marketing it in a similar "fun" way of cruising as RCI and their sister ships,Princess with the ghastly "Muts".

I know there must be others here that will welcome these things, but am wondering if there are, equally others who are hanging onto the traditional Brit cruising experience of, say, Oriana and Aurora by our fingertips?

Have recently taken a long look at the Hebridian Cruise line, which, for us I really think would be exactly what we would look at should P&O decline further into American style cruising.....but the price!!!! - Think it may prove to be the case of quality cruising every couple of years rather than quantity cruising(4 + a year) as of present.

Anyone else of similar view???

Cheers:)

I think that the only comment I can make is "HEAR HEAR!!!!"

(Wouldn't it have been nice if one of the R ships were to have been assigned to P&O? Having sailed on Tahitian Princess, IMHO one of these sisters would have been an excellent replacement for Victoria.

I think that the only comment I can make is "HEAR HEAR!!!!"

(Wouldn't it have been nice if one of the R ships were to have been assigned to P&O? Having sailed on Tahitian Princess, IMHO one of these sisters would have been an excellent replacement for Victoria.

Yes, agree entirely.

PS - What a beautiful part of the country you come from - lucky you!

Did anyone else notice in the early marketing days of Ventura reading of "You never know whom you may meet at breakfast time...even Noddy". Well, I for one do NOT want to meet Nod

ddy at breakfast time - or any other time whilst cruising (or at home!!). I mean, he is a cute, sweet little chappie, but....

Hmmm....This has put me off of the Ventura as clearly it is being marketed as a MASSIVE family ship, and, personally feel I don't want or need that now my family are almost grown up. It seems that they are marketing it in a similar "fun" way of cruising as RCI and their sister ships, Princess with the ghastly "Muts".

I know there must be others here that will welcome these things, but am wondering if there are, equally others who are hanging onto the traditional Brit cruising experience of, say, Oriana and Aurora by our fingertips?

Have recently taken a long look at the Hebridean Cruise line, which, for us I really think would be exactly what we would look at should P&O decline further into American style cruising.....but the price!!!! - Think it may prove to be the case of quality cruising every couple of years rather than quantity cruising(4 + a year) as of present.

Not Me,

If Ventura proves so popular with families then it leaves the other ships for us Aurora and Oriana are still there and with the children. Artemis and Arcadia are still there without children. So what is the problem, surly what we have is choice, it would appear to me far more than any other cruise line. Are not all Carnival ships much the same, Saga boats are both the same, RCI boats are all the same, Holland America are all the same and the three Cunard Queens are going to be all the same.

I am not saying that the ships are all identical because they are not but the other cruise lines are going for a 'house feel'.

P&O is not by making some adults only and by making Oceana and Ventura distinctly for families we have choice.

Having said that I do not see Ventura as being a family only ship. I feel it will appeal to a much wider clientele and because of its clear 'WOW' factor, well for a British ship, I think it will attract a younger element.

I am sure P&O know they have to attract a very wide customer base for there product and I Am also sure we will benefit from this.

:):)Very Happy Cruising:):)

Not Me,

If Ventura proves so popular with families then it leaves the other ships for us Aurora and Oriana are still there and with the children. Artemis and Arcadia are still there without children. So what is the problem, surly what we have is choice, it would appear to me far more than any other cruise line. Are not all Carnival ships much the same, Saga boats are both the same, RCI boats are all the same, Holland America are all the same and the three Cunard Queens are going to be all the same.

I am not saying that the ships are all identical because they are not but the other cruise lines are going for a 'house feel'.

P&O is not by making some adults only and by making Oceana and Ventura distinctly for families we have choice.

Having said that I do not see Ventura as being a family only ship. I feel it will appeal to a much wider clientele and because of its clear 'WOW' factor, well for a British ship, I think it will attract a younger element.

I am sure P&O know they have to attract a very wide customer base for there product and I Am also sure we will benefit from this.

:):)Very Happy Cruising:):)

Fair point Dai - Hadn't thought from the angle of making Oriana and Aurora quieter ships. :)

How ever I am easy any way with or with out children having been a teacher for over 30 years I am quite happy around them.

Although we will not be going on her next year, I do look forward to Ventura Noddy and all.:D

We hope to book for Venice for 2008 for my errr. 40th:rolleyes::rolleyes: birthday, well it has got a 0 in it somewhere. Not bothered which ship.

:)Happy Cruising:)

OH Dear

I hope we are not going to hear the "Its not the Oriana" brigade on Ventura like we did on Arcadia.

I think its great that P&O recognise the need to offer different ships for different kinds of people.

Well you just reply " Of course it is not the Oriana. Do you think I have paid all this money to be on a copy":mad:

Our joy is to discover a new ship and relish in it being different. Cruising would quickly become boring if all the ships were the same.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Or some of us could even say "It's not like the Canberra"!! I can remember those comments time and time again when Oriana came into service and always thought it comical. However, having enjoyed most of our cruises either on Oriana, Aurora or Oceana , we have very fond memories of our early cruising days, and it has been known for us to utter those words "It's not like the Oriana"!!!

...So beware....it may creep on you!! You may fall completely in love with Ventura...and in years to come when taking another cruise you will utter those words "Oh...she's not like the Ventura"!!!

:) Cheers

Having cruised on several different ships and lines, American and British, I wouldn't be so narrow minded as to constantly compare one ship against another.

I think that we are in danger of condemning people for doing what many people do in all walks of life. They do not like change is disturbs them makes them feel a little lost. This is not a new phenomena only associated with old Canberra or Oriana cruisers.

People feel safe and secure in what is familiar to them. so should we not 'cut them a little slack' as they say somewhere in the world. they are only lamenting times past.

Perhaps this is a P&O thing because of the long history of the cruise line.

Anyway we like all of P&O's ships that we have been on and are now working our way round the rest.

Hi,

I have never cruised P&O, in the past we have cruised Celebrity, RCI, NCL & the like. I am very much looking forward to trying out the new Ventura for which I have pre-registered. I am hoping, being a British ship we will get baked beans for breakfast lol:D , that is something I have missed on the American ships!

On my last Celebrity cruise I met so many people telling me how wonderful P&O are that I thought I must give them a try.

So that put together with a big new ship at a fair price was too much to resist.

I am already excited even though we are not yet properly booked & it is well over a year away.

Happy cruising to you all,

Lisa:)

Hi,

I have never cruised P&O, in the past we have cruised Celebrity, RCI, NCL & the like. I am very much looking forward to trying out the new Ventura for which I have pre-registered. I am hoping, being a British ship we will get baked beans for breakfast lol:D , that is something I have missed on the American ships!

On my last Celebrity cruise I met so many people telling me how wonderful P&O are that I thought I must give them a try.

So that put together with a big new ship at a fair price was too much to resist.

I am already excited even though we are not yet properly booked & it is well over a year away.

Happy cruising to you all,

Lisa:)

Then you have every right to be excited Lisa!!! I am sure you will have such a wonderful time! Yes! - you will get your baked beans for breakfast (and all the other "home staples" you could think of...marmite...decent tea etc!!) AND a choice of the most fabulous curries each lunchtime!!

Enjoy!! - I know you will, and make sure you report back!:)

Hmmm....This has put me off of the Ventura as clearly it is being marketed as a MASSIVE family ship, and, personally feel I don't want or need that now my family are almost grown up. It seems that they are marketing it in a similar "fun" way of cruising as RCI and their sister ships,Princess with the ghastly "Muts".

Have recently taken a long look at the Hebridian Cruise line, which, for us I really think would be exactly what we would look at should P&O decline further into American style cruising.....but the price!!!! - Think it may prove to be the case of quality cruising every couple of years rather than quantity cruising(4 + a year) as of present.

To be honest after reading the P&O boards,i'm wondering if "Brit Style Cruising isn't just a little bit stayed and snobby.

Why does a ship selling family style cruises seem so abhorent to you,i personally welcome an upmarket family holiday......it should be available for all to enjoy.

After all you can always stick to child free ships if familys bother you so much

To be honest after reading the P&O boards,i'm wondering if "Brit Style Cruising isn't just a little bit stayed and snobby.

Why does a ship selling family style cruises seem so abhorent to you,i personally welcome an upmarket family holiday......it should be available for all to enjoy.

After all you can always stick to child free ships if familys bother you so much

Well for a start, what is 'Brit Style Cruising'?? Cos I do not know! It certainly is not child free cruising as Ventura/Aurora/Oceana/Oriana prove.

I am not sure who you are having a dig at. P&O cruising is certainly as you put it up market compared to cruising USA style because we have to pay so much more for our cruises. Apart from the 6 star lines, P&O prices are way above the mass market American equivalent.

The great advantage of P&O now is that its 6 ship fleet gives us a great deal of choice, far more than any other cruise line.

You would have to explain how Brit Style Cruising is 'Stayed'. You clearly have not been on one, so it is difficult to see how you could make that judgement.

There are some which are possibly less lively than others but that is all.

:cool:

Dai

Well for a start, what is 'Brit Style Cruising'?? Cos I do not know! It certainly is not child free cruising as Ventura/Aurora/Oceana/Oriana prove.

I am not sure who you are having a dig at. P&O cruising is certainly as you put it up market compared to cruising USA style because we have to pay so much more for our cruises. Apart from the 6 star lines, P&O prices are way above the mass market American equivalent.

The great advantage of P&O now is that its 6 ship fleet gives us a great deal of choice, far more than any other cruise line.

You would have to explain how Brit Style Cruising is 'Stayed'. You clearly have not been on one, so it is difficult to see how you could make that judgement.

There are some which are possibly less lively than others but that is all.

Dai

I'm sorry I have to disagree. We HAVE sailed P&O and we also paid more for the cruise....we didnt feel we bought up market though - far from it....we came away feeling we had been ripped off!

We only have one experience of P&O granted - basically we were terribly disappointed and felt we had been sold a product that didnt live up to its marketing.

IMHO I honestly do believe that many of the P&O cruisers I have spoken to, sailed with and whose posts I read, like to think and portray that P&O is a cut above the rest...but in all honesty, they just cant admit the truth because if they did....the bubble would burst! If our experience was P&O at its best...heaven help its regular passengers (and I appreciate everyones tastes are different...but quality, service, attitude and cleanliness should be the same for everyone)

And finally.....paying more money doesnt mean a jot to quality or "cut above". Any company will charge the earth for a poor product if there enough people out there to pay for it....

The above is said with respect and is purely our opinion (and that of many of our fellow cruise mates we encountered on our first and LAST P&O cruise).

I dont mean to be rude but many P&O posts I have read are like the Emperors New Clothes.....basically in denial. And if our experience was supposed to be a "cut above" then I'll slum it on a US ship anyday of the week!!!!

Having re-read my post it seems harsh...and I certainly dont mean it to be ...especially as we only have one experience of P&O. But I stand by OUR experience...and as my DH said after my reading of some P&O posts ..."some loyal P&O cruisers would sail in a tug boat if it had P&O written on the side of it ....

I'm sorry I have to disagree. We HAVE sailed P&O and we also paid more for the cruise....we didnt feel we bought up market though - far from it....we came away feeling we had been ripped off!

We only have one experience of P&O granted - basically we were terribly disappointed and felt we had been sold a product that didnt live up to its marketing.

IMHO I honestly do believe that many of the P&O cruisers I have spoken to, sailed with and whose posts I read, like to think and portray that P&O is a cut above the rest...but in all honesty, they just cant admit the truth because if they did....the bubble would burst! If our experience was P&O at its best...heaven help its regular passengers (and I appreciate everyones tastes are different...but quality, service, attitude and cleanliness should be the same for everyone)

And finally.....paying more money doesnt mean a jot to quality or "cut above". Any company will charge the earth for a poor product if there are mugs enough out there to pay for it....

The above is said with respect and is purely our opinion (and that of many of our fellow cruise mates we encountered on our first and LAST P&O cruise).

I dont mean to be rude but many P&O posts I have read are like the Emperors New Clothes.....basically in denial. And if our experience was supposed to be a "cut above" then I'll slum it on a US ship anyday of the week!!!!

My reply was in response to a previous posting.

Unlike you I have had 8, P&O cruises and I do not recognize the pasting you seem to give them. P&O seem to have that effect on people, one bad cruise, in their eyes and all others must be the same. Well sorry that is so much tripe.:mad:

I have read today that Ventura is filling up well and indeed people on here have had great difficulty getting booked. So all of those people are wrong they are all delusional to book P&O.:mad: Of course not. I am sorry but I do not see the point of your post apart from stirring things up, again. I would not have introduced the expression upmarket except in a purely financial light. Which is as good a test as any other.

I would not claim that P&O was better than any other cruise line, but there would appear to be a small group of people who post on these boards and other who delight in running P&O down at any opportunity.

Dai

Having re-read my post it seems harsh...and I certainly dont mean it to be ...especially as we only have one experience of P&O. But I stand by OUR experience...and as my DH said after my reading of some P&O posts ..."some loyal P&O cruisers would sail in a tug boat if it had P&O written on the side of it ....

Our replies crossed. It did come over as harsh hence my reply.

Well, we sail with P&O because we like it. If we did not then we would change. We have had 8 wonderful experiances and we have 2 more booked and lots more planned.

Dai

Our replies crossed. It did come over as harsh hence my reply.

Well, we sail with P&O because we like it. If we did not then we would change. We have had 8 wonderful experiances and we have 2 more booked and lots more planned.

Hi Dai....Absolutely...I agree that people make a choice on what they prefer and like...that is exactly how it should be. But in my experience I have noticed that with loyal P&Oers it seems that anything that isnt P&O is beneath them....they do not compare ....they look down their noses at it and scoff. That is what I take exception to.

For instance you said "should P&O DECLINE further into American style cruising":eek:

Decline!!???....that is blatantly looking down on another cruise line...furthermore another country's cruiseline. That is what is so insulting! Could you not have written "should P&O choose to adopt the American style of cruising"?? Surely a more positive way of putting it.

But either way...there are far more important things in life than cruising and we should not fall out over it. So I hope you have a fantastic cruise...differences are what makes the world go round:)

Hi Dai....Absolutely...I agree that people make a choice on what they prefer and like...that is exactly how it should be. But in my experience I have noticed that with loyal P&Oers it seems that anything that isnt P&O is beneath them....they do not compare ....they look down their noses at it and scoff. That is what I take exception to.

For instance you said "should P&O DECLINE further into American style cruising"

Decline!!???....that is blatantly looking down on another cruise line...furthermore another country's cruiseline. That is what is so insulting! Could you not have written "should P&O choose to adopt the American style of cruising"?? Surely a more positive way of putting it.

But either way...there are far more important things in life than cruising and we should not fall out over it. So I hope you have a fantastic cruise...differences are what makes the world go round:)

Quite agree, but this is not my quote:-

"For instance you said "should P&O DECLINE further into American style cruising":eek: "

Not me Guv, someone else, I would not say that, as I do not see the decline. Anyway I do not know what American style cruising is! But I suspect I would like it:p

No doubt we will try others but there is so much we want to do with P&O.

Dai

After all you can always stick to child free ships if familys bother you so

much

"Stayed & Snobby"? - well, yes my friend! We have cruised some twenty odd cruises with P&O, from the Canberra, old Arcadia through to Oriana, Aurora, Oceana, but not, as yet the new Arcadia. They certainly do have their own personalities etc and "fit the bill" for various types of cruises we have had the pleasure of taking (whether travelling as a family - and we have been blessed with many children!) or taking a cruise on our own or with friends - that is the beauty of the variety offered. Now we cruise with just one child a couple of times per year we choose to have a cruise on a family ship and again on an adult only ship when cruising just ourselves.

My comments regarding the Ventura are because having been on Crown Princess and knowing how very large she is, makes me feel she wouldn't be for us. I also realise that P&O service is far from perfect and would go as far as to say that with each passing year the service seems to be just a little watered down. With a very large ship like this I fear that the service will become similar and inferior as we found with Princess. Fine if you like Princess style etc and fine if you want to be surrounded with lots of people, including Noddy.

Happy cruising - with or without Noddy!!:)

It's great that there are so many cruise lines all offering different cruise experiences. Some pax do seem blinkered by P&O though even if they haven't tried other cruiselines. They seem content to cruise with the same cruiseline. Maybe because they are happy with the product and feel comfortable with it. We cruised on Oriana in 2004 and whilst we had an enjoyable cruise it didn't leave us with a 'wow' factor. Since then we have preferred RCI and Celebrity for many different reasons. I honestly believe that if people sailed with another cruiseline most of them would realise P&O aren't the best thing since sliced bread and there is more opportunity out there. Like the P&O advert...There's a world out there.

Anyway, fortunately there is always going to be something to suit everyone in the world of cruising.

Bev

Archived