Thinking about a Fascination Cruise

felixdacat

Hi,
I have previously cruised with Norweigan (4 years ago) and Disney (this past May).
My wife and I recently found out that due to changes in approach at my daughters school (she is about to enter kindergarten), we are now forced to vacation sometime in the last two weeks of December. We had thought that because it was only kindergarten, we would be able to take her out for a family vacation at any convienent time (we knew that would be impossible once she was in 1st grade).
So, we're heading to South Florida and the grandparents. During this time, my wife and I would like to get away on our own. Hotels and Resorts seem to be very overpriced around Xmas, even if you can get a reservation. So even though I just did a family cruise a few months ago, I'm thinking about another one for just the two of us.
There is a 4 day Fascination cruise that starts on 12/20.
So I'm totally new to Carnival. Do you think I should book right away or would there be specials if I wait? Are there any advantages to booking right now (cabin assignment, price, etc)? I've read a few posts about the Fascination and it doesn't make me ooh and aah, but it doesn't seem to be yucky either. I like the itinerary (Key West, Cozumel).
Are there any special things that I should know about Carnival Cruises (any special restaurant reservations, massages, that sort of stuff)?
Appreciate any feedback.

FX

My husband and I went on the Fascination in March 2003. We thouroughly enjoyed it. There were a few glitches (our cabin steward, in a word, sucked!) but overall we had a very nice time. Previously I had been only on RCCI in a newer ship. While there were definitely some differences in decor, (RCCI is much more subdued) overall I found the Carnival experience to be a positive one. The crew was friendly and for the most part, helpful. The food was very good in the dining room, fair to good at the lido deck. (but I'm a chef by profession and training, so I tend to be a liitle harsh when judging food!) The ship was clean and while definitely no new, still impressive. How bad can a cruise ever really be, as long as you've got food, drinks, power and don't run aground?!?

I'd book ahead as far as possible. We chose a 6B guarentee and ended up with a catagory 12!! It was a nice surprise. I booked 7 months ahead, which from what I hear, is something that they take into consideration when handing out those ever hoped for upgrades!

Karen

I just came back from the Fascination cruise. (8/2-8/6). I really enjoyed it. The ship was clean, the food was good and the entertainment was really good. My cruise directorGreg Hutson was funny and extremely cute! The only negative was we did not stop in Key west because supposedly the port was closed.

I see you were upgraded to Cat 12!! My husband and I are going on the Fascination in Nov. over Thanksgiving week, and we have U73 Penthouse suite - Upper Deck (Cat 12)! Can you describe your cabin and the balcony? Did you get sun on your balcony or was it pretty much shaded, because it is so private? Was it a king bed or a queen?

I am really looking foward to this cruise, since I have never even had a regular cabin with a balcony! Details Please!!

Thanks!

Archived