Experience w. Orkney Archaeology Tours?

• 5 months later...
Looking for any feedback on this private tour operator out of Kirkwall.

Thank you.

Martha

Back home now and am able to answer my own question!

Our ( 7 CC'ers) day touring with Caz Mamwell of Orkney Archaeology Tours was without doubt the highlight of my cruise! What an extraordinary "journey" through time & history. We felt fortunate to have had the additional benefits of Caz's experience as an archaeologist and her extensive historical knowledge of Orkney, both of which she shared in a clear, concise & engaging commentary. Amazing scenery. I shall never forget wading in knee deep heather up to the Ring of Brodgar stone circle, the wonderful smell of it and the view over the water when I got there! And, how amusing to meet the Laird of Skaill House.......her friend, Malcolm!

Especially nice that even though it was a van for 8, it was "miked" and very easy to hear her throughout.

Kirkwell, Orkney Islands is a port that should not be ignored as you plan your British Isles cruise.

Martha

• 7 months later...

I know I'm more than a year out on answering this question, but thought others might be interested. Caz showed us around the island last year. She was wonderful. Orkney was one of our favorite stops and would go back there in a hearbeat. Would definitely use Orkney Archaeology Tours again.

Happy Cruising!

Back home now and am able to answer my own question!

Our ( 7 CC'ers) day touring with Caz Mamwell of Orkney Archaeology Tours was without doubt the highlight of my cruise! What an extraordinary "journey" through time & history. We felt fortunate to have had the additional benefits of Caz's experience as an archaeologist and her extensive historical knowledge of Orkney, both of which she shared in a clear, concise & engaging commentary. Amazing scenery. I shall never forget wading in knee deep heather up to the Ring of Brodgar stone circle, the wonderful smell of it and the view over the water when I got there! And, how amusing to meet the Laird of Skaill House.......her friend, Malcolm!

Especially nice that even though it was a van for 8, it was "miked" and very easy to hear her throughout.

Kirkwell, Orkney Islands is a port that should not be ignored as you plan your British Isles cruise.

Martha

Thank you!! We're booked for a tour with Caz on June 2. I'm really looking forward to it.

Last year we contacted the local operator too late to use her services so I'm quite envious of those of you who have booked her. We were successful, however in self-guiding using areas buses. We got the info at the tourist center and managed quite well on our own. However, we wished we had gotten off the ship sooner and gotten to the tourist center earlier so we could have gotten an earlier bus. We did not have time for Skara Brae but did get to the Stones of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar. If we had caught the earlier bus we could have managed them all. The area is incredible, I would love to return. The countryside is both barren and breathtaking at the same time.

Thank you!! We're booked for a tour with Caz on June 2. I'm really looking forward to it.

Abby Ruth:

I envy you; I'd love to go again! Enjoy.

Would you please tell Caz that "Martha from Rhode Island from the Grand Princess last August" says "hi!?!!"

Thanks, Martha

Abby Ruth:

I envy you; I'd love to go again! Enjoy.

Would you please tell Caz that "Martha from Rhode Island from the Grand Princess last August" says "hi!?!!"

Thanks, Martha

Martha,

I've printed off your message to remind me and I'll definitely say hello for you. We booked Caz early because we read about how great she was on a CC thread. We found our tour buddies to make up the eight in the van on our roll call. I love Cruise Critic!!!

Archived