Delayed flight equals missed cruise

boatfloat

I always fly Southwest and never have these problems! SW never changes flight times and have one of the highest on time percentages. SW doesn't go to all cities, but they go to most. If you watch the sales you can fly anywhere on their system any time of the year for $200 roundtrip.

We always book our own air and fly same day. SW is great because many of their flights are direct or have a stop but you don't have to get off. I leave at least 1-2 hours for connections and arrive at least 3-4 hours prior to ship sailing.

Obviously if you live somewhere with lots of snow, no airline will get you to the ship on time in a blizzard. But, if you live somewhere with a decent climate flying same day is NO PROBLEM!

Flying domestic on any of the "legacy" airlines is simply asking for trouble.

SW is a flying Greyhound bus. No thank you, I will continue to sit in first class, after I have enjoyed the Admiral's Club, on a REAL airline that can get me further than the continental United States.

SW is a flying Greyhound bus. No thank you, I will continue to sit in first class, after I have enjoyed the Admiral's Club, on a REAL airline that can get me further than the continental United States.

I dont think southwest is a "fake" airline...

Do they fly fake planes? With fake pilots?

OH and I bet the food is FAKE too!

For business I flew a considerable amount over the last 10 years, and Southwest was the main carrier used. In fact at one time I had accumulated 10 free round trip tickets and a 12 month Companion Pass for my DW. EVERY time we had to take a flight on another big name carrier we came back and said never again. On SWA we rarely had a delay or missed flight. The plane shows up 20 minutes before takeoff time, they get people off, they get people on and they leave. On the other airlines even though the plane has been sitting for 2 hours (or more) the boarding process takes forever, and getting off the plane is even worse. Who DO the other airlines have to wait 10 minutes at the gate before opening the door??? SWA opens the door and everyone is off before the other airlines even open the door. We found the seats (coach) to be more comfortable, and the crew makes us feel like they want us there - not like we are a burden. SWA is no frills - and that's fine with me, I don't fly to get a meal. Maybe if I had the choice of flying first class all the time it would have been different - but for mere mortals I don't think you can beat SWA. (You can send my check to ......)

Maybe if I had the choice of flying first class all the time it would have been different - but for mere mortals I don't think you can beat SWA. (You can send my check to ......)

This thread is getting waaaay off topic. It is not about Southwest airlines. Southwest will not be contracting with the cruise lines any time soon.

Mere mortal here.

I have consolidated all my flying with AA. I fly enough on business to be a top tier elite and get free upgrades to FC, space available. AND I PAY for an Admiral's Club membership, due to the amount of time I spend in airports and the services I receive at the AC.

Please, enough everyone about SW. Some love it, some hate it. I fall into the latter category.

I've never seen that happen on CC before!!!

Airlines like everything else is very subjective. I used to fly on AA often years ago, and was never impressed one way or the other. A review of Airline rating over the last 5 years shows SWA beat AA every single year by a wide margin. This past year SWA on time departure rate dropped slightly to 80.2% - while AA came in at 75%. SWA again was the airline with the lowest number of complaints from passengers. We all go with what makes us happy :-)

In a nutshell, yes. There are a few exceptions, I believe, such as the charter flights Princess arranges from LA to Papeete. Caveat emptor.

They have not had the charter airline to PPT for about 3 years now.

Once upon a time in a land far far away there was this terrific form of travel called "flying". Planes flew half empty, you could sleep in coach because you always got the window seat and no one sat next to you, food was provided even on 1 1/2 hour flights, you could get to the airport 15 minutes before your flight and still make it even checking luggage, and the best "no one was allowed carry-on baggage".

Now with deregulation airlines won't fly a route unless they are guaranteed a full flight, many small terminals have very few flights and usually cater to "puddle jumpers". There are too many planes for an airport to handle and most leave late...did you know most airlines add about a half hour to their flight schedule so they will look like they are coming in early.

Airlines sell tickets 330 days out and then change their schedules every 2 months or so. One recent trip I was scheduled on 3 different flights even before I left (not legs of flights), and ended up leaving a day earlier than planned and had to spring for an extra hotel night.

Needless to say THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF ARRIVING ON TIME no matter who books the flight. Unless you are airline savvy you may end up paying for your own hotel room and food on delayed flights and airlines no longer try and find you alternative transportation with the same zest they used to.

The worst part of any vacation is getting there. Your only salvation is to spring for an extra night hotel stay, try and leave from a port in a city that has a good transportation hub, be patient, and quit blaming Princess or your TA or the airlines for an industry we have all allowed to be the boss of us.

What's everyone's opinion of a 45 minute layover at JFK to make a connecting flight? The incoming Comair flight is from Montreal (and will have cleared US Customs in Montreal) and the Delta flight is heading to San Juan. (terminal change?)

In a word, ugly!! I'd take an earlier flight out of Montreal, if you must fly that particular leg JFK-SJU.

I realize we each have our pet peeves with airlines, having just returned from South America on what I thought was my favourite airline, I realize how it has declined over the years. As of beginning of April (due to low season) they have gone from daily flights to 3x week - when their planes were leaving at >90% capacity. Talk about being packed like sardines.

For my decision: I now factor in departure airport, stopover/connection airport and airline. There are at least 3 airports on the Eastern side I avoid and would only fly out of/into if I had no other choice, whilst there are a couple (when arriving from the UK) are my top choice and look for flights through them.

I read a similar post a couple months back. How awful to miss your cruise. I can't begin to imagine how angry you must be.

We prefer to sail from ports close to home so we are in control of when we come and go. When we fly to LA to see our grandsons, we always go out a few days early to be sure storms can't screwup our plans.

Even if I got a full refund, I'd still be upset that I missed my cruise. Why not look for a last minute cruise close to home so you don't miss out on everything.

At least you've taught alot of us a good lesson about getting to a port a day or two ahead. At least then you would have time to take a bus or train if flights are backed up. DH would get in a rental car and start driving if he had to. You just didn't have enough time for other options.

Let us know how you make out.

Actually YES it is. Minimum connection time for American to Continental in ICT is exactly 20 minutes. If you doubt me I suggest you check. I just double checked myself and it IS 20 minutes, so Princess did NOT do anything illegal.

Maybe it was not illegal but it was certainly not a wise move. :rolleyes:

An airline employee here, told me they would not let a non Mexican Citizen fly to Mexico without a passport. If the person was not accepted in Mexico, they could be fined and would have to bring the person back.

Mexico does not require U.S. citizens to have a passport for visiting. This whole passport business is nuts. Should travellers have them...sure, it would be wise, especially with the American requirements. Kinda crazy to need a passport to fly from your own country to a country that doesn't require a passport. BTW, Canadians have been flying into the States as late as March without passports, they just needed to go through a 2nd check at customs. U.S. Customs and Immigration has been very helpful and understanding at our major airports, where they are located, kudos to them.

Cruise air, it is what it is. I used it once in 1990, never again. I feel bad for the OP, very tough to miss a cruise.

Princess intend to allow us a 75 min connection in Newark to catch our Honolulu flight for our upcoming TP cruise;

I cleared EWR (Newark) in 35 minutes returning from Amsterdam last year. Best time ever in 25 years of international travel. EWR has an Ellis Island's worth of Immigration and Customs booths, and they were all staffed and very efficient. I'd be more worried about traffic from EWR to Hawai, as the flight slots out of EWR are pretty tight.

We were on the ship you missed. We also had flights thru Princess, from O'hare to Minneapolis to Houston, with 25 minutes to connect. I opted to pay extra to change to a direct flight the day before.

When we arrived in Costa Maya the first port I counted about 15 people waiting to board who missed the ship in Texas. So you were not alone.

Next time I will not use Princess for flights.

No, no longer available; along with Flight Schedules at Air Line Counters.

I subscribed to the condensed version and could put it in my coat pocket.

Every thing is on the computer now.

I am looking at my April 2007 copy of the OAG as I am typing this.

Mexico does not require U.S. citizens to have a passport for visiting. This whole passport business is nuts. Should travellers have them...sure, it would be wise, especially with the American requirements. Kinda crazy to need a passport to fly from your own country to a country that doesn't require a passport. BTW, Canadians have been flying into the States as late as March without passports, they just needed to go through a 2nd check at customs. U.S. Customs and Immigration has been very helpful and understanding at our major airports, where they are located, kudos to them.

Cruise air, it is what it is. I used it once in 1990, never again. I feel bad for the OP, very tough to miss a cruise.

It doesn't matter that you don't need the passport to leave, the point is, you need it to get back into the U.S. There is always a chance that someone may not be accepted by the other country.

Last summer our AA flight to London had a mechanical issue and didn't leave LAX as scheduled. We were to get into London the day before our cruise but ended up getting in the departing morning at 6am. Lucky us. :D

AA apologized for the delay and gave us 25K miles each. They did offer a hotel to everyone which many people took, but we opted to stay near the airport. We did contact our TA and Princess as soon as we found out we were going to be delayed since we had a pre-cruise hotel package. We always take the insurance with Princess when we cruise and this time it really paid off. Upon returning home, we filed a claim with Princess insurance and were fully reimbursed for the pre-cruise package and extras incurred. Princess has been very good to us and we will continue travel the world with them.

:)

It doesn't matter that you don't need the passport to leave, the point is, you need it to get back into the U.S. There is always a chance that someone may not be accepted by the other country.

I thought the point of needing a passport to fly to the States was quite clear in my post. And no, you are wrong about Mexico (or other countries) selectively requiring passports - either they do or they don't, period. If it was as you suggest, can you imagine the chaos.

I am looking at my April 2007 copy of the OAG as I am typing this.

I apologize for the incorrect information.:mad:

Several weeks ago, while we were at our TA, the OAG was mentioned.

The woman who owns the Agency said that she hadn't seen the OAG

in several years.

Stated that she subscribed to it; however, hadn't received a renewal

for her subscription.

Two other woman, who at one time, worked at other Agencies also

mentioned that they hadn't seen the OAG in some time.

So, again I apologize.

Under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI)

The proposed implementation timeline has two phases:

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the United States and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Travel Documents for U.S. Citizens Under WHTI

Under the proposed implementation plan, the following documents will be acceptable to fulfill document requirements:

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda, and may also use a U.S. passport when traveling via sea and land borders (including ferry crossings).

The Passport Card (also referred to as the PASS Card): This limited-use passport in card format is currently under development and will be available for use for travel only via land or sea (including ferries) between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Similar in size to a credit card, it will fit easily into a wallet.

DOS and DHS also anticipate that the following documents will continue to be acceptable for their current travel uses under WHTI: SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST, and the U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document. As proposed, members of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty traveling on orders will continue to be exempt from the passport requirement.

Background

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires the Department of Homeland Security and Department of State to develop and implement a plan to require all travelers, U.S. citizens and foreign nationals alike, to present a passport or other document, or a combination of documents, that denote identity and citizenship when entering the United States. Congress amended portions of the Act in 2006. The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is the Administration’s proposed plan to implement this mandate.

The goal of the Initiative is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized, secure and reliable documentation which will allow the Department of Homeland Security to quickly, reliably and accurately identify a traveler.

Media Notes

02/22/2007 DHS Announces Proposed Passport Flexibility for U.S. and Canadian Children at Land and Sea Borders

11/22/2006 Passports Required for Air Travel to United States as of January 23, 2007

10/17/2006 Department of State to Introduce Passport Card

Flyers & Fact Sheet

Fact Sheet - Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (PDF)

Fact Sheet - WHTI's Successful Implementation (01/30/07) (PDF)

Flyer on Passport Requirement for Air Travel to United States as of January 23, 2007 (PDF)

Hoja de Informacion (PDF)

WHTI Information Sheet - French (PDF)

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about the New Travel Initiative Requirements (FAQs)

Federal Regulations

Final Rule - Air Phase ( PDF)

Proposed Rule - Passport Card ( PDF)

Comments Submitted in Passport Card Rule Making Proceeding (DOS-2006-0329-0001)

Other Relevant Links

Department of Homeland Security

U.S. Customs and Border Protection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer friendly version Email

Maybe it was not illegal but it was certainly not a wise move. :rolleyes:

I think this is the correct sentiment. It is not to be in the best interest of a passenger to book a connecting flight with only a 20 min connecting time. The connecting flight would already be making the boarding calls by the time your inbound flight was scheduled to land:eek: . Call me cynical, but the best you could expect out of something like this is to make the cruise and hope your checked luggage catches up to you at the first port. Its too bad the OP had to miss their cruise because of what would seem to be very poor planning by Princess.

I thought the point of needing a passport to fly to the States was quite clear in my post. And no, you are wrong about Mexico (or other countries) selectively requiring passports - either they do or they don't, period. If it was as you suggest, can you imagine the chaos.

I didn't say the other country required a passport, I said, the other country may not accept the passenger.

I think this is the correct sentiment. It is not to be in the best interest of a passenger to book a connecting flight with only a 20 min connecting time. The connecting flight would already be making the boarding calls by the time your inbound flight was scheduled to land:eek: . Call me cynical, but the best you could expect out of something like this is to make the cruise and hope your checked luggage catches up to you at the first port. Its too bad the OP had to miss their cruise because of what would seem to be very poor planning by Princess.

Too make matters worse, if the OP misses the 20 minute connection in ICT, there isn't a later flight (as a backup), flying ICT-IAH, which would allow the OP to make it to the ship before it sails.

This is incredibly bad work by Princess.

Archived