Rhapsody Limited Bar in Port

Okay, it's only been since October since we last sailed her, but I'm having the fuzzy brain. I remember that the bar service is limited until you get X amount of miles out. But what is available for imbibing during sail away?

Well, no that's not right. I remember that I ordered a Cranberry & Vodka and was told that they didn't serve hard liquor until we were X number of miles out, that they had beer. So I then ordered a Michelob Ultra and was told no they didn't have that available either. They then pointed to a couple of cans sitting on the bar and said that was the beer that was available until later.

It's just now I can't remember what those beers were. And I can't remember if any wine was on offer or if it was strictly the limited beer choices.

They do offer full booze, I dont drink beer and have yet to sail away sober on her. They always have the drink of the day, usually a Texas Twister or something, but it has booze, and I usually drink Margaritas, Banana mudslides, or something along that line and have NEVER had problem getting it as soon as I board. I have a friend that used to drink Long Island Iced Tea and he got it as soon as he boarded and before he even ate anything.

They are only allowed to have so many bars open so that is limited but you can get anything to drink.

Due to laws they cannot deliver any booze to the cabin until you are so far out, I stopped sending champagne because of this. You dont get it until day 2, since by time you are far enough out to bring it to the cabin everyone is busy with dinner service.

So I guess I just got a bad bartender :( Dang I wish I had known this, I would have looked harder for something the first time out.

I have a problem with heights and so the worst part of any cruise for me is the very beginning from coming up the gangway to board. It takes me about an hour for my adrenaline to settle back down and for me to swing into full vacation mode. I've been thinking that a drink might decrease this transition time for me. My DH would appreciate this because I am a tad snappish until my heart stops racing again. :rolleyes:

Thought about stopping on the way to the pier for a pre-boarding nip to see if that would help with the initial jitters as well. I have such a great time after I get over that hump it would sure be nice to find a way to smooth over the hump in the first place.

It was the pool bar where I was told that I could only order the beer.

My DH just wandered through and was reading over my shoulder. He said he has been seriously considering the pre-boarding drinks as well. Since we are staying at Gaido's we are going to pop into Casey's for appetizers and a couple of cocktails before calling our cab.

Then once aboard, I now know not to be thwarted by the first no. If I get one this time.

Thanks for the responses!

Hey, Lezlie! On our March 4, 2007 cruise the Viking Crown Lounge, the Schooner Bar where our CC group did sailaway, and the Pool Bar were all open before sailaway. I don't drink beer so I know they were serving other things.

Patti

There is some weird thing regarding Texas law that they can only serve certain brands of beer until they are so far out but I couldn't tell you which ones since I am not a beer drinker either. You shouldn't have any problem finding liquor though. Definitely walk up to the pool deck and there will be waiters walking around handing out drinks. There are usually waiters in the Windjammer waiting to take your drink order also and walking around with a tray full of the drink of the day specials. :D

Hey, Lezlie! On our March 4, 2007 cruise the Viking Crown Lounge, the Schooner Bar where our CC group did sailaway, and the Pool Bar were all open before sailaway. I don't drink beer so I know they were serving other things.

Patti

Hey, Patti! We're going to miss you guys this time around.

I guess I was just walking around in a fog. Because after the first bartender told me that, I was just totally oblivious. Well, one good thing about me. I don't make the same mistake twice. At least not very often. :p But you can bet I won't be making this one again.

I will be tracking down that foo-foo drink!

e4266e6e.gif

Archived