1st time cruiser questions

Retired 07

We have a mini-suite on the Island Princess in May. Does anybody know how many electrical outlets there are in the mini? I understand that some people take power strips. Is this necessary?

I have been reading a lot of negative things about the coffee on board. My wife is thinking of taking her own little coffee maker. Has anyone ever done this?

We would love to go kayaking for one of the shore excursions. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also, is it safe to take your camera while kayaking? Can it stay dry?

One more thing....I'm new to cruise critic, and I keep seeing the letters DH. These stand for what??

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. I have really learned a lot from reading these threads.

:) Welcome Retired 07,

I am sure you will enjoy the Island Princess. We took her round trip from LA last spring and loved it. I take it the destination is Hawaii? If so, yes, we did do some kayaking there off of the big island, in Kona. Camera safety? I would take a disposable kayaking rather than risk a good digital, but that is just me. There are apparently flotation and waterproof contraptions available for cameras. That is the extent of my knowledge concerning them - that they happen to exist.

The minisuites have one electrical outlet - we take a mini-extension cord with us on every cruise. Sometimes the placement of the outlet does not allow us to use chargers, so the mini-extension cord really helps. We don't take a power strip, as we are not quite sure how many "appliances" we could safely run off of one outlet. We just take turns recharging batteries and using the outlet for other things.

Coffee? Ummm... I am a tea drinker with the exception of espresso based coffee drinks, as is my DH (that is dear husband or darling husband or - well fill in any not-so-flattering d words, but in my case dear). We usually get the "coffee cards" for the espresso drinks during the cruise. But, in a pinch, I have found the regular coffee on board drinkable - my parents who actually do consume the stuff didn't voice any complaints about it during their recent Princess cruises.

Anyway, we don't bother to take an espresso machine with us - we do have a small on that is portable enough. We did take it with us for 2 weeks in Yellowstone a few years ago, not knowing what we would find. We found an espresso wagon inside the Old Faithful Inn. The stuff is everywhere these days.

Have a fabulous cruise!

Thanks, ggprincess. Actually we'll be going to Alaska on the Island princess in May. The kayaking excursions sounded good in all 3 ports, and I was wondering which would be the best in terms of scenery and wildlife.

We have never taken on a power strip on a cruise, but have heard many people saying it's a must. We had hubby's shaver (but he used in the bathroom), hubby's digital camera battery to charge, my cell phone to charge (but the last two just plugged in for enough time to do the trick), and an one-cup coffee maker for my hubby (the ship's water bothers him so he brings on bottled water and makes his own coffee) -- that he unplugs as soon as he's done. I don't drink coffee myself so I couldn't tell you about my opinion of the coffee. There's a hair dryer in the cabin and irons in the laundry room to use there. Can't think of anything else we take that would need to be plugged in.

We were on the Island about 14 months ago. Our only complaint about the design of the ship was that Churchills and Crooners were both right on the grand atrium and made that area very smokey much of the time.

Hi Gang,

Did the FLL/YVR trans canal in May '06 on the Coral.

I swear that the coffee you get in any of the restuarants onborad Princess ships is Nescafe Instant (made in volumes). Mind you it's not as bad as people make it out to be...I like my Cappies, lattes etc, but the coffee is robust (never watery) and for the most part palatable for a morning pick you up at 0630 on deck.

The only place to get a "fancy coffee" on ship is at the Cappucino Bar and as another poster has indicated, the best bet is to buy the coffee card.

Enjoy the Island in the islands, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Archived