Tango and Samba shows

ClaudiaF

• 2 weeks later...

We did both but since they are the only ones we have ever done I have nothing to compare them to. The Samba show in Rio was pre-arranged by others and I do not remember the name of it. It was interesting. The tango show in Buenos Aires was better. We decided to do it at the very last minute and signed up at a place on the pier in late afternoon. We just picked that one to do, no special reason. They eat late in Buenos Aires so we left for dinner and show about 8 PM and got back about mid-night. We were provied transportation to and from the show at no cost. Show was truly unbelievable. Fantastic. I have fogotten the food but not the dancing. It was amazing what a couple can do with their legs. I am sure that almost any tango show or samba would be well worth it.

As I have stated repeatedly in prior posts: you can go to a falf dozen places on your own in la boca (just tell the taxi: quiera ir a la boca por favor) - walk around until you see something you like. And, yes, they do eat late in Buenos Aires. As an American living in BA for five years, I was usually the first one in the restaurant at 9 PM!

As I have stated repeatedly in prior posts: you can go to a falf dozen places on your own in la boca (just tell the taxi: quiera ir a la boca por favor) - walk around until you see something you like. And, yes, they do eat late in Buenos Aires. As an American living in BA for five years, I was usually the first one in the restaurant at 9 PM!

Dear palermo,

We will be on a cruise so going off the ship which will be inport for the night with a bunch of friends to see a show.. We know it is probably stupid but, have you ever seen one with dinner show, recemtly?

We just want a great show.. we know the food probably won't be.. but what would the best one be if you know?

Thanks

Claudia

PS any idea if taxis hang out at the cruise docks in BA at night?

what is the approx, cost for taxis to the tango restaurants.. and one more thing dear Palermo

best restaurant today in BA thanks so much

Claudia - I have not lived there for ten years but do keep in touch with friends. I don't believe you can have a bad meal in BA - so when you say the meal probably will not be that good - I highly doubt that! No, I have never been to a dinner show but if you want my suggestion: just find any local restaurant in La Boca and you'll probably have the best beef dinner you've ever had. Then find someone in the restaurant who speaks english (if you don't speak Spanish [although with a name like Claudia you should speak Spanish) and ask them what is the best Tango show in the area. I guarantee you will have a great night. There are taxis all over the place - especially in the neighborhood of the port - with the exchange rate at 3 to 1 - a taxi to la boca won't cost more than $5!

Claudia - I have not lived there for ten years but do keep in touch with friends. I don't believe you can have a bad meal in BA - so when you say the meal probably will not be that good - I highly doubt that! No, I have never been to a dinner show but if you want my suggestion: just find any local restaurant in La Boca and you'll probably have the best beef dinner you've ever had. Then find someone in the restaurant who speaks english (if you don't speak Spanish [although with a name like Claudia you should speak Spanish) and ask them what is the best Tango show in the area. I guarantee you will have a great night. There are taxis all over the place - especially in the neighborhood of the port - with the exchange rate at 3 to 1 - a taxi to la boca won't cost more than $5!

Gracias usted mucho de nuevo..

;-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We were in Buenos Aires five nights and took in two dinner/Tango shows. Food at both was good, but the show at Senor Tango's is the best. Tables for 8 are arranged around the huge dance floor in three tiers. Bono was uptop the night we were there. I don't thing there's a bad seat in the house. If only two go, they'll sit you with other English speakers. We made arrangements on the www beforehand.

Charlotte

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife and I were in Buenos Aires in Nov 04. We attended two tango shows, Senor Tango and Esquina Carlos Gardel. Both shows are comparably priced at about $30 per person including transportation. A friend told us that Senor Tango was the best show but that proved not to be true. Esquina Carlos Gardel was a much better tango show. Senor Tango turned out to be a show with very little tango music and dancing..it was more of a variety show featuring the the show's producer a Clark Gable look alike, singing and talking with the audience. Service and food at both restaurants were good. After returning home and getting my Visa bill I discovered that Senor Tango Restaurant is overcharging my Visa bill to the tune of $203.65. I have not gotten this resolved yet, it might be that Visa did not convert the pesos into dollars, just be cautious.

Someone asked what to wear..casual dressy is ok.

• 2 weeks later...

I too have been to both establishments and agree that the Carlos Gardel show is much better than Senor Tango. The latter one seems to have turned more variety in the past few years, in the 90's the show was actually very good.

Archived