How to phone home?

Buffalo618

I know it has probably been discussed a million times, but I did a search and can't find what I need to know.

What is the cheapest way to call back to the states once the ship leaves port? We are going on Destiny, which will be at a different port every single day. Is it better to use cell phone, ship phone or use a phone on the island? If we use a phone on each of the different islands, do we wait till we get to each island and buy a separate calling card? I've heard NOT to buy an international calling card from the US and expect it to work on the different islands. Not sure what to plan.

Thanks!:confused:

We were unable to find a payphone on any of the islands that took calling cards. Just credit cards, and we were leary about the charges.

We had planned on phoning home at each port as we have young children at home, but once on the cruise we never did call home. We left a contact number for us in case of an emergency and left it at that.

i have sprint- am going on destiny soon- sprint is free in san juan- no roaming- free in st thomas - no roaming-works in other ports, just not free

hope this helps

Same with T-Mobile, free local calling in US territories, it was also much cheaper to use our cell in other ports, the ship to shore phone calls are expensive.

Buffalo what is your cell carrier?

We are also going on Destiny and the ship has cell service on the ship.

Here is what coverage I will have:

San Juan - included in my plan

USVI 0.69/min

Barbados $1.29/min

Carnival Destiny at sea $2.49/min no text messaging

Cingular works great for us.... be sure and call your cell provider before you leave and make sure your phone is compatible and your account is activated for out of the country calling.

Cingular worked a bit too well in our case...when my son didn't understand that we were going to be charged a lot of money.

We were even charged for phone calls he declined.

There are also places in the Gulf, experience again here, where you can see the coast of the US and the Cingular phone worked where they charge very high rates. Some places in the Gulf he used the cell phone and there was no charge.

I asked the people at Cingular how one can tell if it will be international or domestic charges in the Gulf and apparently you really can not tell.

My sister used her cell phone to call from Puerto Rico many times after Carnival stranded her there after the boat came in very late and then Carnival couldn't seem to find them a flight to get home. She used her Cingular and it worked great.

I am wondering about St Thomas and Cingular.

Archived