Check-in/Fun Pass?

vesw01

I already did our fun pass - is boarding the ship really difficult? (We are sailing on the Victory out of NY)

Since my last name is hyphenated from a previous marriage to my new marriage (kept last name of each of my kids) I am bring with the divorce papers and marriage certificate.

My concern is how hard do they look at the paperwork, especially for the kids? I have their birth certificates - do they verify every little detail to make sure it matches their records (such as their birthdays etc?)

We are staying in the US and Canada - my aunt has taken my son to Canada several times without a letter

I am mostly curious how much inspection goes on...my grandmother is traveling with an expired passport (under 10 years which they say is acceptable) but I am not sure how close they look and inspect everything or do they just try to move you along

(and especially since 9/11) airports, cruise lines, etc. like to have proof that you have permission from the other parent to take the children out of the country.

I have always had a letter from my spouse when taking our children out of the country.

Someone in our party one year did not have the letter, and had to have one faxed to the terminal before they were allowed to board.

Just letting you know so that you don't get to the ship and not get to go...

Just got off the Jubilee last week, traveling with a family group. My neices and nephew were traveling with me, I had the notorized letter from my brother and ex-sister in law, but was never asked for it, it might be because we have the same last names.

My brother and his current wife were traveling with her 2 kids. At embarcation they WERE asked for the letter (which they had, thank goodness!). We think maybe it was because their last name is different from their mother's.

You just never know if they will ask for it or not, but I sure would have a letter just in case. It would be awful to be denied boarding because of this!

When we were going through customs after the cruise my brothers group was sent to the special area where they search luggage. Their luggage was not searched, but my SIL's children were pulled to the side and asked individually what their full names were. I had never heard of this, I guess they were making sure they really were who they are, if you know what I mean. It was very strange. The kids were traveling with just birth certificates.

Teri

If you do a search you can find a couple of threads posted over the past few weeks on this... it seemed that many had the letters, but none were asked for them... it is better to have a letter though, just in case.

did read a message post a while back if ship went to mexico, i believe u need parental consent; otherwise u should be okay - i am traveling 8/21 with my husband - my daugther is from previus marriage, 15 years old now and hasn't seen her father - i am bringing my divorce papers but she has no contact with her father so i guess i cann't get something in writing - my divorce papers state i have physical custody and she is at that age where she can speak up and tell them I don't see my father - people i have read about in previous threads said i shouldn't have a problem and i hope not because i have no way of getting in touch with him

CriuiseMark, thank you for the link. I printed the form in hope that my ex-husband will sign it, assuming I can contact him.

I am quite confused though, because when I spoke with Carnival, they said that as long as I have a parenting plan that states I have sole custody of my two daughters, I'm ok.

Thier explanation was that we are not going to be docked in a foriegn country for more than 24 hrs.

My ex-husband has not been in contact with his daughters in six months, and has no idea that we are going on a cruise this month.

We live by the Canadian border, and have had no problem getting across without a note.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any trouble getting on the boat?

I believe you only need the letter in the situation where there is joint custody. Taking along a document showing that you have sole custody should be sufficient. Last trip I took to the States with my son I had my husband do a letter. I wasn't asked for it when I was going but was asked for it when I was returning to Canada. I guess it must depend on who is checking you in whether you get asked or not.

Archived