Best room choice on Tahitian Princess

nikita

DH and I are seriously considering a cruise end of Sept on the Tahitian Princess. What would be the best room choice? How is the ship unique and special compared to other Princess ships - I know it doesn't have anytime dining or a theater and was originally owned by a different cruiseline - well, any info pro or con I would appreciate. Thanks!

DH and I are seriously considering a cruise end of Sept on the Tahitian Princess. What would be the best room choice? How is the ship unique and special compared to other Princess ships - I know it doesn't have anytime dining or a theater and was originally owned by a different cruiseline - well, any info pro or con I would appreciate. Thanks!

We had the owners suite aft & it was great. Try for deck 6 or 7, we were on 8 & it was noisy late night & early am, but still a suite:) . It was a great trip, have fun.

Jan

We had a mini suite onboard. It was one of the best minis we have ever sailed in. Large room, richly decorated and a great balcony.

As for the ship itself, I don't feel it compares to any other ships now sailing in the fleet, it is very tiny. With it's small size, of coarse it does not offer the same as the larger ships. We loved the Tahitian Itineary, but doubt we would book this small of a ship again for anything longer without so many ports. Although we enjoy the smaller ships (if you can call the Sun Class small and by todays standards I guess you can), the TP just did not offer enough of the dining options and other activities we have grown used to with Princess.

I know, I know, we are some of the few that didn't really love the ship to pieces, but remember, this is just our opinion. ;)

We were in 6051 on Pacific Princess (new), an adequate but small balcony cabin.

We've also been down on Deck 4 in standard oceanview cabins on sister ships, Oceania's Regatta & Nautica. They also are small, but adequate.

No anytime dining on Pacific or Tahitian Princess - on Oceania's ships, the main dining room is open (anytime) seating, and seems to work well on those ships.

No formal theater per se, but a small lounge where revues are held (not big enough for full Princess style production shows).

I for one like these small ships - they are just slightly larger than the original Love Boat, Pacific Princess and her sis, Island Princess.

We were in 6051 on Pacific Princess (new), an adequate but small balcony cabin.

We've also been down on Deck 4 in standard oceanview cabins on sister ships, Oceania's Regatta & Nautica. They also are small, but adequate.

No anytime dining on Pacific or Tahitian Princess - on Oceania's ships, the main dining room is open (anytime) seating, and seems to work well on those ships.

No formal theater per se, but a small lounge where revues are held (not big enough for full Princess style production shows).

I for one like these small ships - they are just slightly larger than the original Love Boat, Pacific Princess and her sis, Island Princess.

Was the balcony adequate in this room as well? What furniture fit on the balcony. Thanks everyone for your comments!!

Balcony will hold two chairs and a small table - but it would be a squeeze to get a lounger out there.

Oceania's brochure says standard oceanview cabin is 165 sq feet, and with balcony, 216 sq feet; so balcony itself is 51 sq feet.

We had room 7116, a standard room, aft. This was our first standard room so I can't compare it to anything else, but it seemed very small. The larger balcony was nice. The OS room next door was very large with a very large balcony to match. I agree with Toto that the limited activities on this ship are a downside, if you're used to the mega ships. The TP is very cozy and you will be running into the same people most of the time. I thought the food was just as good as on other Princess ships. The buffet is not a Princess strong point and if you've sailed the line before you know what I mean. The card room is small and the library is open just a few hours a day. Since you asked a very general question and might be willing to spend the extra $, have you looked into the PG? We haven't sailed on her, but if I recall from my research, her rooms are larger. Hope this helps.

We sailed the PG and it was true bliss I've been on many other cruise lines and Raddisson ( now Regent ) is the best . Top notch food the rooms are big walk in closet, alcohol is included at dinner ( whatever you want ) , bar set up in room your choice of 2 bottles, the best staff of any other line !!! Go for it, it's costly but oh so worth it !!

Thank you all for your answers. I have checked the PG website (Regent) and their cruises are only for 7 days or 14 days at the time we want to go - I like the 10 day itinerary so decided to pick the Tahitian - but maybe we will reconsider and just do the 7 with a land based vacation afterwards - of course it is extra money but like you said - maybe worth it? I appreciate all the good comments and advice!!!

We're booked in an OS for April 2008. We have never cruised on a smaller ship such as the Tahitian, but we are very much looking forward to this cruise. I think the ports are as important as the ship. From what I have read on these boards, a lot of people return to the Tahitian Princess over and over again. We have been on the Star and the Westerdam (HAL) There have been a number of posters who have posted their pictures. That might help you make a decision.

We were in a minsuite on the TP. It was great! We highly recomend it. The balcony was large enough for 2 chairs, a table and a lounge. (Get a starboard side cabin, whether balconey or minisuite) We spent more time out there than we have on any other cruise. We also looked at the PG but decided on the TP because of the 10 day cruise rather than PG's 7 and because of the price deifferential. I know some people prefer huge shps over the TP. We actually prefer the smaller ships. You get to know your fellow passengers better and everything is convenient. No matter what you chose, you will love the cruise. I also recommend that you fly Business Class on Tahiti Nui and that you spend at least 2 days before or after on Moorea. It's the trip of a lifetime! Have Fun!

We just got back from Tahitian Princess. We had the front balcony starboard on deck 7. Lots of action there but I loved it, rocked to sleep each night. I would choose a cabin more midships for a little less wave action probably. I think the mini suites would be worth considering for extra size in the room and deck size but again you would have more action from the waves. We were very happy with our 10 days accommodations. The trip to Rarotonga was quite rocky and we were unable to get on the Island otherwise I like the Itinerary very much. It is so beautiful.

If you like to see action, take the Starboard side. It is a very small ship, if you do not expect much from it, you will be fine, beautiful ship. We love our trip. Nothing much to see in South Pacific anywhere. We got good service in the Dinning room. The buffet food was fair. We did not spend our money in the specialty restaurant.

On one morning, when the ship takes a scenic cruising, the ship offers in room breakfast for $25. Don't bother to spend that money, it does not worth it. Get to the buffet and bring food back to the room or order room service, free and you still can enjoy the scenic cruising too.

We just got back from Tahitian Princess. We had the front balcony starboard on deck 7. Lots of action there but I loved it, rocked to sleep each night. I would choose a cabin more midships for a little less wave action probably. I think the mini suites would be worth considering for extra size in the room and deck size but again you would have more action from the waves. We were very happy with our 10 days accommodations. The trip to Rarotonga was quite rocky and we were unable to get on the Island otherwise I like the Itinerary very much. It is so beautiful.

I will not risk my life with Rarotonga again, it does not worth it, once is enough for a life time. Our morning tender ride was not so bad, but the afternoon back to the ship, it was very rocky. The captain had to take the ship out further to the sea for safty. :cool:

.......No formal theater per se, but a small lounge where revues are held (not big enough for full Princess style production shows).

The Tahitian has a theater and does production shows. The stage is smaller than the Grand or Sun class ships. They had one male and female lead singers, and six or eight dancers. But they still did the broadway style full costume shows..

It was interesting because we did a B2B. Between the cruises they had a changeover of the show performers. It was interesting watching the same shows, with the same costumes, on the second leg of our cruise..... but with different performers. The first troupe was better... but we got to see their last show and the second group's first show.... so it really was not a fair comparison. ;)

I know there is no anytime dining option on these ships, but is the buffet open for a casual dinner for those busy port days when you don't feel like a longer meal in the main dining room? Are the buffet offerings as similar to other princess ships?

Thanks

We just returned from the TP on Saturday. The buffet is not open in the evening, only the restaurant, Sabatini's or Sterlings, and Pizza. The only night that the buffet opens up is the first evening when the cruisers from the last cruise are still there and the people from the upcoming cruise are arriving. The buffet is fairly small, but I was able to find many things that I liked to eat at breakfast and lunch. They have an omelette bar at breakfast and a hamburger and hotdog grill at lunch.

We had an amazing time on the TP. The islands are incredible and the ship, although small, is wonderful. We were able to meet some very interesting crew members and cruisers.

Vette

Thank you for all your suggestions and reviews. We have booked a guarantee balcony BD on the TP. We have never done this before (booked a guarantee) and we're not quite sure how it works. When do you get your room assignment? We are also on the waitlist for a mini-suite so we'll see if that pans out. Any info on the "guarantee" would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

We just returned from the TP on Saturday. The buffet is not open in the evening, only the restaurant, Sabatini's or Sterlings, and Pizza. ...
does anyone know if this is the same on the Pacific Princess; we are considering this ship for a MED cruise next summer, but not sure that we want to eat in the dining room or a premium restaurant with such a port-intensive itinerary; on the other hand, we are not always in the mood for pizza...

thanks

Archived