Wow!! Cruise Cancelled

happy cruzin

No. Because we wanted to try our first "9A" we booked it back in February - before the recent one day sales. So it was just a regular booking - so no special accomodations to move our booking.

FYI, the one day sale wouldn't have gotten you anything booking a 9A, anyway.

Yes - we are looking at several options - Valor, Victory and even the Freedom. But I can not seem to find another '8-day' during the correct time frame so that is definately disappointing! :(

But we will keep looking. We are open for suggestions - if anyone has one they would like to share.....

I am sure that we will find something that makes everyone happy ;) we just need to figure it out :cool:

Have you checked into the Legend? The VIP cruise just got back from an 8-day itinerary, maybe that's still going on at that time next year.

Liberty is a brand new ship.

Drydocking is for repairing/preventative maintainence of underwater parts.

Not to "spruce her up".. :confused:

The ship will only be a year old and shouldn't require remodeling.

She started sailing in 2005 :rolleyes:

There will be quite a bit of painting and carpet replacing going on, after 3 years of constant traffic, it will need it.

Wow, what a way to start a Tuesday! I had a group of 30 on the Feb 24 sailing. I guess we start back at square one.

Not that it really matters...but did you get the "official" notice from Carnival? I got it by email yesterday - it certainly was a shock.

We are back to the beginning too. I called our CVS last night and she tried to be helpful - but we have so many schedules that have to be coordinated that all I could do last night was get info.

Silly me....I just kinda assumed that they made those kind of arrangements so far in advance that it would not effect any current reservations. But I was obvioulsy wrong....:cool:

Have you checked into the Legend? The VIP cruise just got back from an 8-day itinerary, maybe that's still going on at that time next year.

I guess we will look in to the Legend - afterall. I has originally not considered it because DH and I just did the Panama Canal 8 day Legend in Feburary. But no one else that will be going with us next year has sailed the Legend - so I will check it out.

Thanks!

Silly me....I just kinda assumed that they made those kind of arrangements so far in advance that it would not effect any current reservations. But I was obvioulsy wrong....:cool:

11 months notice is pretty far in advance... they do have to work around dry-dock scheduling, you can't just pull a ship out of the water anywhere. Be glad you didn't get 3 months notice...:)

I guess we will look in to the Legend - afterall. I has originally not considered it because DH and I just did the Panama Canal 8 day Legend in Feburary. But no one else that will be going with us next year has sailed the Legend - so I will check it out.

Thanks!

Legend and Miracle are swapping itineraries/homeports coming up shortly. Miracle will be doing that 8 day Southern Caribbean itinerary next February. There is a cc group cruise for Feb 27 Miracle. Legend will be doing 7 day Western from Tampa. There is a cc group cruise for Mar 2 Legend.

Our Carnival Cruise in the summer of 2000 was cancelled about two weeks before sailing, some people had less warning than that. About 5 or 6 cruises were cancelled then on the Paradise due to mechanical problems. Carnival was wonderful about rebooking, we went during winter break for half price, though we did not incur any charges for changing our airfare Carnival was going to pay the charges if we had them. It worked out well for us.

If my cruise was cancelled I would be throwing myself on the ground kicking and screaming throwing the biggest fit ever!

I really think this is inexcusable..There is no reason why they cannot Schedule maintence..Unless of course its an emergency..

Wow....kicking and screaming :eek: ??? Well none of that here - thank goodness - just disappointment.

We had begun to look forward to the cruise and those ports and had made some preliminary plans - so of course we are disappointed. It took us a while to find one that everyone like that worked with everyones schedule.

I am grateful that it is early and we have plenty of other options - just have to figure out what will work the BEST ;) !

If my cruise was cancelled I would be throwing myself on the ground kicking and screaming throwing the biggest fit ever!

I really think this is inexcusable..There is no reason why they cannot Schedule maintence..Unless of course its an emergency..

The don't own the maintenance yards so they can only schedule based on when the dates become available.

The only way to avoid this would be to keep sailings closed for booking until 90 days out.

With the luxury of being able to book a cruise two years out comes the chance that the cruiseline, any cruiseline will cancel, change itineraries etc, etc.

It is not just an inspection, they will do maintenance, thinks like painting the part of the ship that is normally under the water. They also do things like replaying carpetting etc

All-in-all as others have said this is a regular thing for cruise ships.

Yep...I hear 'ya. This was a college graduation gift for my son - it was hard enough to find a time that we could all go and places that we all wanted to go.

Now we get to start over!! It is definately disappointing - but we will work it out.

That really does stink. Good luck with your new plans.

I was on the 3/1/08 cruise, just rebooked for the 3/29/08, same room. In a way this is better since the ship will be recently cleaned head to toe. This also is the sailing starting 1 week AFTER easter, so for me that is a better time.

Just go with the flow, good thing we had such advance notice.

BK

I am part of a group of 30 who was booked on the Feb 24th Liberty sailing. I kicked and screamed for a little while this morning, just thinking about the havoc this causes with such a large group. I'm over it now, thankful we had this much notice. We're looking at the March 9 sailing.

Jennifer

I was on the 3/1/08 cruise, just rebooked for the 3/29/08, same room. In a way this is better since the ship will be recently cleaned head to toe. This also is the sailing starting 1 week AFTER easter, so for me that is a better time.

Just go with the flow, good thing we had such advance notice.

BK

Great!! Glad you got rebooked easily.

Unfortunately I do not think 3/29 is not an option for us because DS will be finishing up his college career - but right now we have not ruled anything out. We were working around an early break, graduation and his employment.

Looks like there are some options out there that will work - we just have to all sit down and figure out what we want to do and when we are going to do it!

I too am very glad that we have plenty of time to investigate because we got the notice so far in advance. This could have been much, much worse!

how long are ships typically in drydock? Also, does anyone know when the Liberty is going in?

Generally a couple of weeks. The Fantasy class ships are currently all being scheduled for 1 month drydocks for some major changes.

Somebody posted about the Liberty in the last couple of days. Feel free to search.

The ship must not have been filled to capacity. Otherwise, it would not have been in the interest of the cruiseline to cancel and schedule a drydock.

Yes - I would agree. Since the sail date was almost a year away I'm sure that there were lots of open cabins.

But as others have already posted Carnival may not have a lot of choice of when the maintainence docks are available. So I believe that even a "full" sailing might have to be cancelled sometimes to accomodate the time table for the dry dock.

Generally a couple of weeks. The Fantasy class ships are currently all being scheduled for 1 month drydocks for some major changes.

Somebody posted about the Liberty in the last couple of days. Feel free to search.

Thanks Don. I was getting a little freaked out over our summer 2008 cruise.

Fern

With Carnival posting new itineraries in March for the next year April to March, during April two years of itineraries are up ready to be sold. While cruise lines do book drydocks several months in advance, I don't know of any cruise lines that book drydocks up to two years in advance. So two week of cruises have to be cancelled at some point.

Most likely the ship wasn't even 20 percent booked this far out. Its the suites and the aft cabins that book out first. Not everyone books a full year or more in advance. Many only book during the last two to three months before a cruise. Some wait for last minute deals.

Archived